Todd Walker for Luis Matos rumor

SSH2005

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/basebal...sports-baseball

Walker-Matos deal?

Talks between the Orioles and Chicago Cubs about the long-discussed Luis Matos-for-Todd Walker swap have intensified the past couple of days, according to industry sources. The holdup appears to be the Orioles' unwillingness to pick up the entire $2.5 million contract for the Cubs second baseman, who makes about $900,000 more than Matos.

Walker, 32, who is competing for Chicago's starting second base job, hit .305 last season with 12 homers and 40 RBIs. Orioles officials view the left-handed hitter mostly as a designated hitter who could give Perlozzo another good bat off the bench. Walker also could provide some infield insurance if Roberts isn't ready for Opening Day.

Matos, currently playing for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic, is behind Corey Patterson in the duel to win the club's starting center-field job.

What do you do when one of your stud pitchers goes down? Yes, you trade away your third best bat for a scrub. Gotta love that Cubs' management! :lol:

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
I like what Todd Walker brings to the table, the Cubs are stupid to get into a war with such a class act.

Walker's a class act? He hasn't learned to keep his mouth shut in the press, and there's some things about him off the field which are startling. I do think he's a super hitter though, and should start for the Cubs.

BTW redandwhite, I'm not attacking your thought here. Rather, I just get annoyed when I hear Walker whine and b**** in the media every other week. As much as I hate the Cubs, I think they'd be better off just getting rid of him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
Walker's a class act?  He hasn't learned to keep his mouth shut in the press, and there's some things about him off the field which are startling.  I do think he's a super hitter though, and should start for the Cubs.

BTW redandwhite, I'm not attacking your thought here.  Rather, I just get annoyed when I hear Walker whine and b**** in the media every other week.  As much as I hate the Cubs, I think they'd be better off just getting rid of him.

What have you heard about Todd Walker? He was lead to believe from upper management that the starting second base job was his and Dusty Baker came out and denied that a week later.

What else has he talked about in the paper on a weekly basis? In his tenure with the Red Sox he was always very soft spoken, and talked only when talked to, aswell as being a very popular in the community.

So, again, what has he been saying that makes him a bad guy off the field? Your opinion of him on it, isn't in question here.

What have you heard about Todd Walker?  He was lead to believe from upper management that the starting second base job was his and Dusty Baker came out and denied that a week later.

What else has he talked about in the paper on a weekly basis?  In his tenure with the Red Sox he was always very soft spoken, and talked only when talked to, aswell as being a very popular in the community.

So, again, what has he been saying that makes him a bad guy off the field?  Your opinion of him on it, isn't in question here.

Walker has since changed his tune on that. First, he said that Dusty had told him he was the starter at second base during the offseason. Now, he has backed off of those comments. He also said that "sometimes organizations lie to you." After that, he said that he wasn't referring to the Cubs and apologized to Hendry and Dusty. The dude likes to run his mouth. This is no lie. His quotes seem to be in the Tribune every other week.

Walker's bat is great but his crappy defense, inability to stay healthy, and big mouth are all reasons why the Cubs are trying to dump him.

I'm still trying to figure out why the Cubs would need another backup outfielder.

It wouldn't make much sense to trade Patterson and then obtain his backup. It also doesn't make sense because they already have Marquis Grissom in camp to serve as a backup for every outfield spot. And we all know how much Dusty loves his new 90 year old buddy.

Walker whined about playing time with Grudz at second back in 2004. IIRC he opened his mouth up and had some issues in both Cincy and Colorado. He supposedly Hendry before the offseason not to pick up his option if he planned on trading him before the season. I can only imagine what he's going to say if he gets traded to the O's.

Looks like the Flubs really want this Matos scrub...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6032001553.html

Cubs Eager for Matos

The Orioles remain in contact with the Chicago Cubs, who are pushing for a swap of outfielder Luis Matos for Chicago infielder Todd Walker, according to a baseball source. The source said the Cubs are more eager for such a trade, but the Orioles haven't dismissed it. If they agree to the deal, the Orioles likely will use Walker, who batted .305 with 12 home runs last season, as a designated hitter. . . .

Look for the Cubs to heavily pursuit Soriano if he continues to b**** about playing in the outfield.  I'd rather they not get him, as I think he'd make that lineup a lot better.

I don't think so. Hendry has been on the defense kick the entire offseason. I think he wants Hairston starting at 2B, regardless of his mediocre offense. I think they will trade Walker soon and Hairston will be their opening day 2nd baseman with worthless Neifi stealing starts from Ronny Cedeno at SS. Dusty loves his little Neifi.

Edited by SSH2005

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/basebal...sports-baseball

Matos-Walker deal off?

After serious talks for several weeks about a potential Todd Walker for Luis Matos deal, the trade talks between the Chicago Cubs and Orioles have cooled significantly in recent days, according to an industry source.

The Orioles wanted the Cubs to pay the difference of the two players' salaries - the Chicago second baseman makes approximately $900,000 more than the Orioles center fielder - but the clubs have yet to agree on the monetary amount and have not made any progress toward getting the deal done.

With Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts looking like he will be ready for Opening Day after offseason shoulder surgery, club officials also are concerned with how they were going to be able to get Walker, a .305 hitter last season, enough at-bats.

The Orioles are still having trade dialogue with several teams, with a corner outfielder, a left-handed relief pitcher and a backup catcher atop their wish list.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)

club officials also are concerned with how they were going to be able to get Walker, a .305 hitter last season, enough at-bats.

Put him and first base and "forget" to bring Kevin Millar with the team up from Florida. How hard is that to figure out?