Injuries to Jose, Pods no big deal

beck72

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp

Herm Schneider is usually very cautious about injuries to players. From the sounds of it, the injuries to Pods and Jose don't seem that bad. He makes it seem like rather minor issues and not something that could linger. He still is concerned about Dustin though. Even with him, he states that Dustin's back won't get worse with pitching. It may be a matter of how effective he can pitch with the back pain.

Good news overall.

That's good to hear.

The results of a second MRI on Podsednik’s shoulder again showed no structural damage, and the White Sox’ leadoff hitter should be ready to resume baseball activities Friday.

Sounds like age catching up to Pods.

Schneider said Contreras has an existing bone spur in his elbow, a common condition among major-league pitchers. Apparently, the bottom of Contreras’ triceps rubbed up against the spur when he was playing long toss Tuesday.

I hope this is not a recurring issue this year.

I think Hermanson blew it by not having back surgery this offseason. If he's going to try to pitch with his back pain again like he did in the second half of last season, he's going to be of little use to our bullpen. He'll get rocked. I'm sure KW isn't depending on him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 06:53 AM)
I think Hermanson blew it by not having back surgery this offseason.  If he's going to try to pitch with his back pain again like he did in the second half of last season, he's going to be of little use to our bullpen.  He'll get rocked.  I'm sure KW isn't depending on him.

Yeah, there is no way the Sox are going to rely on Hermie. If 4+ months of rest doesn't alleviate the problem, then more rest is not going to do it for him either. The best option would be to go ahead and fix the problem with surgery and come back at 100%.

from the Times on Jose:

"We X-rayed him, and we thought he had maybe a loose body inside the joint,'' Schneider said. "That's absolutely not true. Somehow or another, he's got a little tendinitis in the triceps [near the elbow]. When he flexes his arm and he pulls his triceps over the spur that he has -- which all pitchers have -- it just irritates him. It's just a freak little thing. Structurally, he looks fine.

"He's never had it before. We don't want to shut him down any longer than we have to.''

The problem is convincing Contreras of that.

After throwing on the side Tuesday, Contreras, 34, said he felt great. Later in the day, however, he straightened his arm and felt pain in the elbow.

"The trainer said not to worry, but obviously I'm worried a little bit,'' Contreras said. "I'm going to get treatment and see what happens the next few days.''

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 04:18 AM)
Yeah, there is no way the Sox are going to rely on Hermie.  If 4+ months of rest doesn't alleviate the problem, then more rest is not going to do it for him either.  The best option would be to go ahead and fix the problem with surgery and come back at 100%.

Some people have said that if he goes in for that surgery...he may never pitch again.

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
all of these injuries are really scaring the s*** out of me. 

It makes you realize just how lucky we were all of last season, considering the injury bug............and well everything else too.

Yeah no s*** this f***ing sucks. We needs Pods and Jose if were gonna repeat. As far as Hermy... he's done.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 07:37 AM)
ut obviously I'm worried a little bit,'' Contreras said. "I'm going to get treatment and see what happens the next few days.''

its never good that contreras is worried about the injury, but Im glad the sox dont think too much of it.

too many injuries already

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
its never good that contreras is worried about the injury, but Im glad the sox dont think too much of it.

too many injuries already

Every team is facing similar ST injuries. They happen to lots of players every spring. Little inflammations and pulls. Nothing serious. Nothing to worry about.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 06:18 AM)
Yeah, there is no way the Sox are going to rely on Hermie.  If 4+ months of rest doesn't alleviate the problem, then more rest is not going to do it for him either.  The best option would be to go ahead and fix the problem with surgery and come back at 100%.

It's not the rest that is supposed to help but the strengthening and control exercises to keep the disc under control. This will keep the disc off the nerve and decrease the pain. Since the rehab didn't work there are going to do the epidurals which is like throwing a crap load of anti-inflammatories in a localized spot and hope the injection calms the inflammation down.

My guess would be surgery. The surgery would not end his career but rehab would probably be 2-3 months, then with time to get the arm in shape he wouldn't be ready at the earliest until the mid-August.

The epidurals may take care of it but I doubt it would on a long term basis.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
It's not the rest that is supposed to help but the strengthening and control exercises to keep the disc under control. This will keep the disc off the nerve and decrease the pain. Since the rehab didn't work there are going to do the epidurals which is like throwing a crap load of anti-inflammatories in a localized spot and hope the injection clams the inflammation down.

My guess would be surgery. The surgery would not end his career but rehab would probably be 2-3 months, then with time to get the arm in shape he wouldn't be ready at the earliest until the mid-August.

The epidurals may take care of it but I doubt it would on a long term basis.

I could be wrong, but this doesn't sound like a disc injury:

"...Hermanson felt better thanks to the epidural, which was given to control the pitcher's back pain caused by loose ligaments. The injury is called a one percent instability and only affects Hermanson when he pitches."

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
I could be wrong, but this doesn't sound like a disc injury:

"...Hermanson felt better thanks to the epidural, which was given to control the pitcher's back pain caused by loose ligaments. The injury is called a one percent instability and only affects Hermanson when he pitches."

That's just a way of talking around it. The instability is caused by the disc shrinking in height so the vertabrae above and below the disc move too much or cause instability. The ligaments are loose because the distance between the two vertebrae has decreased due to the decreased disc height. Either way it will be the disc which causes the problem and it will nedd to be addressed if he is to continue pitching long term.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)
That's just a way of talking around it. The instability is caused by the disc shrinking in height so the vertabrae above and below the disc move too much or cause instability. The ligaments are loose again because the distance beten the two vertebrae has decreased due to the decreased disc height. Either way it will be the disc which causes the problem and it will nedd to be addressed if he is to continue pitching long term.

Thx ptatc, I thought it was a disc until I heard that description. Now it makes sense again. :cheers

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
Every team is facing similar ST injuries. They happen to lots of players every spring. Little inflammations and pulls. Nothing serious. Nothing to worry about.

This scares me vastly less than the pop one of our guys felt in his foot right around this time last year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
This scares me vastly less than the pop one of our guys felt in his foot right around this time last year.

i'm glad you brought this up cuz i was about to. people ALWAYS get little injuries in spring training because they're getting back into the swing of things and fans ALWAYS get themselves worked up about it. Buehrle was fine, pods and jose probably will be too. it's still early guys. not time to panic quite yet.

Last year we rode out the injuries with depth. We still have depth-EXCEPT the bullpen. A couple of moves need to be made there and the late finishes for Gload & Borchard will help acquire someone.

Any opinion of Scott Williamson from the Cubs? We had him before and they have some problems-but not their bullpen.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
i'm glad you brought this up cuz i was about to.  people ALWAYS get little injuries in spring training because they're getting back into the swing of things and fans ALWAYS get themselves worked up about it.  Buehrle was fine, pods and jose probably will be too.  it's still early guys.  not time to panic quite yet.

These sort of injuries are precisely why the WBC is so poorly timed. These sort of injuries ALWAYS crop up when people go from being fairly inactive to being more active when the season starts. And if they start exerting themselves fully too soon, you increase the chances of guys like Lee or Damon doing something that will affect them for quite some time.

Fact is, if you don't go through these sorts of injuries now, as you're building up to full activity...you start running into pulled hamstrings and such when the season starts, and that's even worse.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
Last year we rode out the injuries with depth. We still have depth-EXCEPT the bullpen. A couple of moves need to be made there and the late finishes for Gload & Borchard will help acquire someone.

Any opinion of Scott Williamson from the Cubs? We had him before and they have some problems-but not their bullpen.

The Cubs right now would have to be absolutely out of their mind to trade anyone from their pitching staff. Hell, if I were in their place I'd try to figure out a way to start the season with 13 pitchers on my roste.r