Suspicious activity at the S. Tower

LosMediasBlancas

Scary, but no big surprise. I honestly have been surprised we haven't heard Chicago mentioned as a potential target more often, especially after seeing for the last 7 plus years what passes for police activity and security here... It's a complete joke for the most part. They can't keep people from parking in bus lanes, yet they expect to stop someone from truck bombing a building ala the Oklahoma City bombing? Please. Chicago is prime for an attack.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
Reminds me of a sticker I saw in lots of pickups when I lived in Tennessee: "Aint Skeerd".

I cringed every time I saw that.

Well, there are 12 people in this building...so...I think a security firm would laugh at us. :D

I'm sure the Sears Tower is a target, but nothing less than an airplane will substantially damage the building. Last I recall--and I'm sure nothing has changed much since I've last driven by--the concrete/marble barriers lining up from the street to the building's base would make access impossible for a car bomb.

s***, just drive 10 minutes to either the Aon Center or the Hancock Building and you can park a car within 5 ft of the entrance.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
I'm sure the Sears Tower is a target, but nothing less than an airplane will substantially damage the building. Last I recall--and I'm sure nothing has changed much since I've last driven by--the concrete/marble barriers lining up from the street to the building's base would make access impossible for a car bomb.

s***, just drive 10 minutes to either the Aon Center or the Hancock Building and you can park a car within 5 ft of the entrance.

Their dock is the same way. There is only so much they can do in terms of protection. Sure there are security check points and screeners in the lobby, but once a nut job is in the lobby, they can do a lot of damage.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)

You can get a delievery truck right up against many of the downtown buildings which is all it would take to blow up pretty much anything except the Sears Tower or something of that stature. You could get one right at Jackson and LaSalle and blow half of the board of trade and half of the Federal Reserve building easily. I have walked that area for years, and seen the total lack of a police/security presence. Its a complete joke and will remain so until the unthinkable happens. And IMHO, its not IF, but WHEN.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
*THIS READTHAY IS BEING ONITOREDMAY*

:unsure:  :ph34r:

I know your joking and all, but I almost wish it were true because it is going to be a disaster when it finally happens. A part of me actually wants to take my digital down to the Sears Tower just to see if I even get noticed trying to mimic the behavior of these people.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
I know your joking and all, but I almost wish it were true because it is going to be a disaster when it finally happens.  A part of me actually wants to take my digital down to the Sears Tower just to see if I even get noticed trying to mimic the behavior of these people.

Do you realize any jailtime could easily hurt your post total? I'd think twice about it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
I know your joking and all, but I almost wish it were true because it is going to be a disaster when it finally happens.  A part of me actually wants to take my digital down to the Sears Tower just to see if I even get noticed trying to mimic the behavior of these people.

I walk by the Tower at least once a day and there are always more than 10 people taking pictures of the tower at a time. Its a tourist attraction, and people love to photograph it. You would have to be really obvious to be noticed.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
I walk by the Tower at least once a day and there are always more than 10 people taking pictures of the tower at a time.  Its a tourist attraction, and people love to photograph it.  You would have to be really obvious to be noticed.

Maybe anyone who looks suspicious gets chekced out. The issue about the rental car is what makes this incident fishy.

My mom used to work at the Sears Tower and 9/11 was the 2nd scariest day of my life because of that. I have walked in there numerous times to see maybe 1 or 2 security guards and they rarely pay attention too. I am glad my mother had to move to Prudential.

As far as photos and stuff, like someone said, it has to be pretty damn obvious because people stand there and gawk at it and take pictures every day. I am actually pretty surprised that an attack hasnt been attempted yet.

Edited by SoxFan1