Broadway to start in B'ham

Gene Honda Civic

AZ Daily Star
"He's a very mature kid. I think he can come fast. He holds runners well, fields his position well. This will be his first full year in pro ball. He'll start in Double-A ball. Sometime maybe this year, if the need arises, he's a guy who puts himself in a position for his name to be called."

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
I have my doubts about Broadway.  I'll reserve judgement on him though.  I hope KW and the scouting staff knew what they were doing here.

I think initally he may not put up the numbers that people may expect from him as a 1st rounder, because he doesn't really his "plus" stuff besides that curveball. But in a lot of ways, he's like Brandon McCarthy, who didn't really come onto the scene when he was in the system for a couple of years IIRC.

He's only 190 LBS, so he can still put some pounds on, and hopefully from that, that'll help him put a couple of extra miles on his fastball. He reminds me a bit of Justin Duscherer actually who's turned into a pretty good reliever for the A's.

After everything I've read on Broadway, and the little I've seen of him on TV, my expectations aren't very high for Broadway. I think he'll make his way to the majors, but I think his ceiling is as a #3 pitcher. If I was forced to guess what Broadway will be in a few years, I'd say a #4, league average innings eater. And, if he turns out to be that, I wouldn't really complain -- he'd be a pretty valuable asset to have.

As for the Carrillo vs Broadway debate, at the time, it was a really tough call. I think Carrillo, in his senior year, put up worse numbers than Broadway, although there was a pretty big difference in the conferences the two were pitching in. I thought I remember reading that, just a week or two before the draft, Dave Wilder attended a game Broadway started, and Broadway was absolutely dominant. Who knows, maybe the Sox scouting staff put a little too much value into the one great season over Carrillo's two solid seasons.