Happy St. Patrick's Day

LosMediasBlancas

Have a fun, safe time everyone.....especially SSI-71 ;) Cheers brother :cheers

By the way, is the word Celtic pronounced Seltic as is in the pro basketball team, or Keltic as in the style of music?

True or false? Budweiser outsells Guinness in Ireland.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
Have a fun, safe time everyone.....especially SSI-71  ;)    Cheers brother  :cheers

By the way, is the word Celtic pronounced Seltic and is in the pro basketball team, or Keltic as in the style of music?

True or false?  Budweiser outsells Guinness in Ireland.

Slainte'!! :drink :drink :drink

Celtic with a K sound, definately.

With the crap tastes of the young folk I wouldn't be surprised if Bud is outselling Guinness, at least in urban centers in Ireland. Same thing is happening to cask ale sales in England and if not for the Campaign for Real Ale consumer advocate group, cask conditioned ale would likely be extinct.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
Slainte'!!  :drink  :drink  :drink

Celtic with a K sound, definately.

With the crap tastes of the young folk I wouldn't be surprised if Bud is outselling Guinness, at least in urban centers in Ireland.  Same thing is happening to cask ale sales in England and if not for the Campaign for Real Ale consumer advocate group, cask conditioned ale would likely be extinct.

so what the hell is a Boston Seltic?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)
By the way, is the word Celtic pronounced Seltic and is in the pro basketball team, or Keltic as in the style of music?

:angry: It's prounced with a "K".

Also, for all you Irish Catholics out there, The Cardinal said it's ok to eat meat today. So you can eat all the corned beef you want.

I'm thinking of having me a Guinness and corned beef sandwich for lunch.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!! :drink :drink :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)
Have a fun, safe time everyone.....especially SSI-71  ;)    Cheers brother  :cheers

By the way, is the word Celtic pronounced Seltic as is in the pro basketball team, or Keltic as in the style of music?

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh

I have never seen Budweiser in the pubs in Ireland, but who knows. Could be in the Temple Bar area in Dublin. In the little dinky pubs back in Kerry, its pretty much Guinness, and the local flavors on tap. But then again I havent been back there in years. The first time I was in Oxford, England I had a Budweiser Budvar which I thought was the american beer, but it was the Czech company.

Celtic is pronounced with a hard K sound.

Neat little fact about the county I was born in. I bet a friend of mine that my cousin had a palm tree in his front yard near the ocean in Co. Kerry. Of course the person who knew more than I about Ireland decided to tell me I was full of s*** and that its too cold for a palm tree to grow in Ireland. The weather in that part of Ireland is very mild, mild enough for palm trees to grow.

img_palmtree.jpg

The bit of gaelic I have always had in my sig is very good to use tor tonight. It translates to "Give me same as the man on the floor".

Have a fun day everyone.

Sláinte is táinte!

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)

I don't know if it outsells Guinness, but I was in Galway last summer and couldn't believe how popular Bud was. Especially among the younger people. Almost all of them were drinking it. I must have stood out as a tourist being young and ordering a Guinness.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
I don't know if it outsells Guinness, but I was in Galway last summer and couldn't believe how popular Bud was.  Especially among the younger people.  Almost all of them were drinking it.  I must have stood out as a tourist being young and ordering a Guinness.

I found that alot of people were putting fruit in their beers? Like blueberries and such. It was weird..

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
I found that alot of people were putting fruit in their beers?  Like blueberries and such.  It was weird..

I think I am going to call one of my cousins today and ask them if they put fruit in their beer, then make fun of them if they do.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
County Kerry is my dad's home county!  Yup, the Cardinal said it is okay to eat meat, just try to sacrifice in some other way.

Happy St Patrick's to all of ya!

Like no vinegar on your cabbage – a mighty sacrifice indeed!

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
Bah... I hate St. Patty's

I went to my local pub because my friends implored me to. You can't even move in there. Can't get in the front door. I came in through the kitchen. Luckily they know me there.

F'n amateurs.

I had one beer, not green, and left.

I couldn't agree more. I look at St. Patrick's day as an opportunity for people (many of whom are barely Irish) to say something like, "I'm Irish...look at me...LOOK AT ME!!!!"

And absolutely no offense to SSI and the like, because he's clearly very Irish and still has strong Irish roots, but most people just come off as annoying on this day to me. I'm also half Irish, BTW.

I just get tired of the fake people out there (once again not aiming this at the people in this thread).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)
I couldn't agree more.  I look at St. Patrick's day as an opportunity for people (many of whom are barely Irish) to say something like, "I'm Irish...look at me...LOOK AT ME!!!!"

And absolutely no offense to SSI and the like, because he's clearly very Irish and still has strong Irish roots, but most people just come off as annoying on this day to me.  I'm also half Irish, BTW.

I just get tired of the fake people out there (once again not aiming this at the people in this thread).

I am about to go out to the mess of bars on St. Pattys day. I agree with all of the people on how this day is a mess. Growing up on the South Side and dealing with the Western Ave bars where everyone claims to be Irish. No you are American of Irish heritage. Too many amature's tonight. The SS parade is another example, people so drunk and crazy they can barely walk. the SS parade used to be a family parade, but now its too many jagoffs getting plastered spouting off how even though their last name is Kowalski that they are really 100% irish. I sat outside of a bakery at 105th and Western and there were a series of drunk kids behind me rocking a port a potty telling each other how irish they were.

I love this time because I get to revel in the music and the culture of Ireland. I love listening to the jigs and reels, even the bagpipes and to the bands on St. Pattys day. I will drink my guinness tonight and enjoy it. The drunks and morons can stay at home.

Off to the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook to watch the Larkin Brothers. The place will always have a special meaning to me as its the place I met my wife, oddly enough watching the larkin brothers.

Edited by southsideirish71