It's a Cub Town

retro1983hat

Spring Training isn't even over yet and we have an attendance article. Why oh why do reporters have to belabor this point.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-06...i-sportsnew-hed

Fact: There are more people on the planet that want to go to Wrigley.

Fact: The White Sox won the World Series last year

Fact: Comparing the attendance of the two teams has been beaten to death

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
Spring Training isn't even over yet and we have an attendance article. Why oh why do reporters have to belabor this point.

Congrats to the Cubs on their annual attendance award..

attendancetrophy.jpg

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
Thx a lot Oz.  Now we'll have to hear things like:  "even your own manager said it's a Cub town"......not that we care.

If anyone brings it up, then ask them about the upcoming centenial celebration of the last cubs world championship. Are they going to have a parade, party, baloons based on 1908.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)

then why keep reading them? and worse why keep posting them on soxtalk then?

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
The urinal seats more than the cell?? wow how many seats were subtracted from the renovation a few years ago??

Its not just that - its that Wrigley added 2100 seats for this season in the expanded bleachers. US Cell now holds about 40,600, Wrigley holds just over 41,000.

One of the great things about the Sox winning the World Series for me it the fact that nothing any scrub fan or media idiot says bad about the Sox or good about the scrubs bothers me. Not at all. I just bask in the glow of 2005 and look forward to see what the guys can do in 2006. I am baseball satisfied. :gosox1:

It's certaintly the truth, but I don't want to be reminded of it every month by the Tribune. Simlar to the fact I will die some day--I know it's true, but I'm not exactly thrilled about it. Nor do I want to be reminded.

It will change eventually. I find it odd the seating for Wrigley is JUST above ours at 40,600. You wonder if beyond the increased revenue, it's to avoid a worst case scenario which may present itself one day--even IF the Cubs and Sox sellout every game, the Cubs will still retain their attendance crown.

It IS a Cubs town and will ALWAYS BE.

Be careful what you wish for, guys.

Already, season tix are gone for 2006. I tried to buy an Ozzie plan and they were all upper deck, NO Cubs tix included and NO special games (like 1/2 way to St. Pats or 4th of July).

So while the Cubs will ALWAYS outdraw us, our attendance has SKYROCKETED.

I almost keeled when I saw all the people at the parade--where the hell WERE these people all season? Not at the games! I was--I have pix of me and the other 8,000 faithful shivering in May games last year. LOVED the idea that the Sox I had all to myself. No more.

I walked into a sports store on Michigan this week. Last year, if you walked in, it was 95% Cubs stuff and you were lucky if they had maybe 2 Sox jerseys and a couple of crappy t-shirts. Now it's reversed--they have an entire WALL of Sox stuff, about seven jerseys, and even my local WHITE HEN has a little White Sox kiosk with pennants and the DVDs.

I for one am more than willing to accept a LOSS of attendance if it means enjoying full access to the park, like last year and years prior (until the playoffs, that is). This is just too much.

LET the Cubs have the attendance--TRUST ME.

They sold out all last year and they SUCKED. This year they will be even worse. But no matter how you slice it, we are World Series Champions. Period.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)

Already, season tix are gone for 2006.  I tried to buy an Ozzie plan and they were all upper deck, NO Cubs tix included and NO special games (like 1/2 way to St. Pats or 4th of July).

I almost keeled when I saw all the people at the parade--where the hell WERE these people all season?  Not at the games!  I was--I have pix of me and the other 8,000 faithful shivering in May games last year.  LOVED the idea that the Sox I had all to myself.  No more.

I walked into a sports store on Michigan this week.  Last year, if you walked in, it was 95% Cubs stuff and you were lucky if they had maybe 2 Sox jerseys and a couple of crappy t-shirts.  Now it's reversed--they have an entire WALL of Sox stuff, about seven jerseys, and even my local WHITE HEN has a little White Sox kiosk with pennants and the DVDs.

I for one am more than willing to accept a LOSS of attendance if it means enjoying full access to the park, like last year and years prior (until the playoffs, that is).  This is just too much.

They sold out all last year and they SUCKED.  This year they will be even worse.  But no matter how you slice it, we are World Series Champions.  Period.

Good post. As for bandwagoners, I welcome them. Yeah, they're definitely the scum of the earth. But the more money they spend, the better off the franchise is. As far as the Cubs go, they have to hang their hat on something. What else do they have? Their team is horses*** and always will be. They're coming up on damn near 100 years since their last title.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)

Already, season tix are gone for 2006.  I tried to buy an Ozzie plan and they were all upper deck, NO Cubs tix included and NO special games (like 1/2 way to St. Pats or 4th of July).

I almost keeled when I saw all the people at the parade--where the hell WERE these people all season?  Not at the games!  I was--I have pix of me and the other 8,000 faithful shivering in May games last year.  LOVED the idea that the Sox I had all to myself.  No more.

I walked into a sports store on Michigan this week.  Last year, if you walked in, it was 95% Cubs stuff and you were lucky if they had maybe 2 Sox jerseys and a couple of crappy t-shirts.  Now it's reversed--they have an entire WALL of Sox stuff, about seven jerseys, and even my local WHITE HEN has a little White Sox kiosk with pennants and the DVDs.

I for one am more than willing to accept a LOSS of attendance if it means enjoying full access to the park, like last year and years prior (until the playoffs, that is).  This is just too much.

They sold out all last year and they SUCKED.  This year they will be even worse.  But no matter how you slice it, we are World Series Champions.  Period.

You are kidding right? Do you really think the White Sox would have a near $100 million payroll without the attendance bump they are looking at for 2006? If you had it your way, we would still be looking at a $75 million payroll and wondering how Ross Gload could replace Paul Konerko, and musing about how we could have had Jim Thome if the Sox were willing to pay him. I love seeing the full park, because it means that Kenny Williams has a much bigger checkbook to work with, vs being so self-absorbed as to care about my inconvience at the ballpark. Sorry winning is just way more important than long lines at the bathrooms for me.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
You are kidding right?  Do you really think the White Sox would have a near $100 million payroll without the attendance bump they are looking at for 2006?  If you had it your way, we would still be looking at a $75 million payroll and wondering how Ross Gload could replace Paul Konerko, and musing about how we could have had Jim Thome if the Sox were willing to pay him.  I love seeing the full park, because it means that Kenny Williams has a much bigger checkbook to work with, vs being so self-absorbed as to care about my inconvience at the ballpark.  Sorry winning is just way more important than long lines at the bathrooms for me.

I love how he starts the post off saying it's a Cubs town, end of story. And then he lists off a billion reasons that it's changing and moving towards the Sox. :lol:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
You are kidding right?  Do you really think the White Sox would have a near $100 million payroll without the attendance bump they are looking at for 2006?  If you had it your way, we would still be looking at a $75 million payroll and wondering how Ross Gload could replace Paul Konerko, and musing about how we could have had Jim Thome if the Sox were willing to pay him.  I love seeing the full park, because it means that Kenny Williams has a much bigger checkbook to work with, vs being so self-absorbed as to care about my inconvience at the ballpark.  Sorry winning is just way more important than long lines at the bathrooms for me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The park is filled with about 30% tourists, 30% casual/Corp. Cub fans who couldn't tell you what number Ron Santo wore and 30% real baseball fans. The other 10% are crack pots like Ronny 'Woo Woo' Wickers. I wouldn't include Woo as a real fan or even a casual one because when he goes to Wrigley, he goes to work. His job is... sponging off of Cub Fans. Cash, dental work, a movie deal... whatever he can get. I respect the real Cub fans. They know their baseball and know that this year's team is going no where fast.

The Sox winning the WS and the lack of response from Cub management for the 2006 season has these fans seriously depressed. When it was the Sox, BoSox and the Cubs with nearly a century of futility, they could live with it. But now, they feel extremely lonely in the crowd of 40k that attend each game. The Trib put in 2100 seats when they should have put in pitchers, hitters, and a new manager. They scalp their own tickets. As a franchise, the club is a disgrace to it’s fans and the city I love. Wrigley is a great place to watch a baseball game… cold beer, decent food and something to do after the game is over. But I will leave that for the tourists and those who play hooky from work for a summer’s afternoon. I would rather see my team win.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
The park is filled with about 30% tourists, 30% casual/Corp. Cub fans who couldn't tell you what number Ron Santo wore and 30% real baseball fans. The other 10% are crack pots like Ronny 'Woo Woo' Wickers. I wouldn't include Woo as a real fan or even a casual one because when he goes to Wrigley, he goes to work. His job is... sponging off of Cub Fans. Cash, dental work, a movie deal... whatever he can get. I respect the real Cub fans. They know their baseball and know that this year's team is going no where fast.

The Sox winning the WS and the lack of response from Cub management for the 2006 season has these fans seriously depressed. When it was the Sox, BoSox and the Cubs with nearly a century of futility, they could live with it. But now, they feel extremely lonely in the crowd of 40k that attend each game. The Trib put in 2100 seats when they should have put in pitchers, hitters, and a new manager. They scalp their own tickets. As a franchise, the club is a disgrace to it’s fans and the city I love. Wrigley is a great place to watch a baseball game… cold beer, decent food and something to do after the game is over. But I will leave that for the tourists and those who play hooky from work for a summer’s afternoon. I would rather see my team win.

I agree with everything in this post.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)

a couple points...as for the parade...frankly there aren't many ticker tape parades in chicago...so a lot of those people were just spectators, non baseball fans, cubs fans and sox fans. It was quite a sight!

and secondly, you know...my dad was a baltimore orioles fan for his entire childhood...moved to chicago 23 years ago...and he's been a loyal sox fan for 16 years...Bandwagoners aren't as bad as people make out sometimes...

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
a couple points...as for the parade...frankly there aren't many ticker tape parades in chicago...so a lot of those people were just spectators, non baseball fans, cubs fans and sox fans. It was quite a sight!

and secondly, you know...my dad was a baltimore orioles fan for his entire childhood...moved to chicago 23 years ago...and he's been a loyal sox fan for 16 years...Bandwagoners aren't as bad as people make out sometimes...

There may have been a fair amount of spectators out there, but I gotta say, I've never seen so much Sox gear in one place before ever!

A lot of the spectators bought World Champions shirts and caps, that's for sure!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
There may have been a fair amount of spectators out there, but I gotta say, I've never seen so much Sox gear in one place before ever!

A lot of the spectators bought World Champions shirts and caps, that's for sure!

non baseball fans bought sox gear...

there are a lot of people in chicago that just thought it was a great thing for the city...

edit: i'm not gonna budge on this one...

Edited by bmags