It's a Cub Town

retro1983hat

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
non baseball fans bought sox gear...

there are a lot of people in chicago that just thought it was a great thing for the city...

edit: i'm not gonna budge on this one...

True. And the Sox benefitted from their purchases.

And they're right - it was a great thing for the city.

Stubborn mule.... :P

One thing about this sox/cubs town argument, I see a lot more sox flags on cars than cub flags. I see more sox hats that cub hats when I go out. So if you look at attendance it still is a cub town, but if you look around town you will see it as a sox town. There is no cub pride out there.

I think is a combo of 3 things, 1. sox won last your, 2.sox fans giving a hard time to fellow cub fans, 3. the cubs frustrating their own fans. I think all 3 have contributed to seeing more sox “stuff” around the city that cub stuff. I have 2 cub friends that are seriously asking them selves why are they still cub fan, and I know that there are more people like them.

QUOTE(whitem0nkey @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
I have 2 cub friends that are seriously asking them selves why are they still cub fan, and I know that there are more people like them.

Every fan of any team asks themselves that question every so often. I know I did of the Sox, the Bears and the Blackhawks at one time or another. The only one that I answered with turning in my fan card was the Hawks. If they win Lord Stanley's cup, I wouldn’t cross the street to see them play. Not until Wirtz is out as the Hawks owner. It has been several years since I had this epiphany and I have never regretted it.

As for Sox paraphernalia, I have 5 Sox hats. The black, the black w/Series logo, the green, the official champs (grey and black) and the classic Sox logo circa 70s-80s. The official stays in the closet with the t-shirt (never to be worn) along with the newspapers from the entire post season. Just this last week I was traveling up to Muskegon Michigan to meet a supplier on Friday. While I drove up, I had on my classic black w/Series logo on and had the green on the back dash for the Friday (St. Pat’s) trip home. We stopped for gas once and had dinner at Damon’s in Grand Haven. Each place we stopped, someone said something positive about the Sox. It was a good feeling.

I bought a ton of stuff late last year. But the best item I have is something that I did not buy. A friend of my folks kids went around the Beverly/Mt. Greenwood area and took photos of all the retail marquee signs with “Go Sox” or “Congrats Sox” etc. McNally’s, Cork & Kerry, Coaches Corner, Brewbaker’s, the 9th District Police station. …. All the favorite hangouts from my youth. The put them all in a monster poster size picture. When I first saw it, that is when it really sunk in. We were World Champs. No one can take that away.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
Every fan of any team asks themselves that question every so often. I know I did of the Sox, the Bears and the Blackhawks at one time or another. The only one that I answered with turning in my fan card was the Hawks. If they win Lord Stanley's cup, I wouldn’t cross the street to see them play. Not until Wirtz is out as the Hawks owner. It has been several years since I had this epiphany and I have never regretted it.

As for Sox paraphernalia, I have 5 Sox hats. The black, the black w/Series logo, the green, the official champs (grey and black) and the classic Sox logo circa 70s-80s. The official stays in the closet with the t-shirt (never to be worn) along with the newspapers from the entire post season. Just this last week I was traveling up to Muskegon Michigan to meet a supplier on Friday. While I drove up, I had on my classic black w/Series logo on and had the green on the back dash for the Friday (St. Pat’s) trip home. We stopped for gas once and had dinner at Damon’s in Grand Haven. Each place we stopped, someone said something positive about the Sox. It was a good feeling.

I bought a ton of stuff late last year. But the best item I have is something that I did not buy. A friend of my folks kids went around the Beverly/Mt. Greenwood area and took photos of all the retail marquee signs with “Go Sox” or “Congrats Sox” etc. McNally’s, Cork & Kerry, Coaches Corner, Brewbaker’s, the 9th District Police station. …. All the favorite hangouts from my youth. The put them all in a monster poster size picture. When I first saw it, that is when it really sunk in. We were World Champs. No one can take that away.

this makes me want to buy the black WS hat cause the gary one looks fragile i'm afraid that globe is gonna fall off eventually