Game Thread - Sox vs Tex

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
He obviously throws hard, but why is he throwing 95 and Jenks 91 if it takes hard throwers longer to get ready? Shouldn't there be a little concern that Jenks is down a consistent 7 or 8 mph on his fastball right now?

Of course there should be concern with Jenks. We heard two straight spring trainings that Koch's velocity would come over the course of the month. Jenks's mechanics looked terrible the last two times I saw him pitch. People act like he has a track record of 10 years worth of success in the majors. He's as much of a question mark as anyone else on the big league team. We don't have any other closing options right now either.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Of course there should be concern with Jenks.  We heard two straight spring trainings that Koch's velocity would come over the course of the month.  Jenks's mechanics looked terrible the last two times I saw him pitch.  People act like he has a track record of 10 years worth of success in the majors.  He's as much of a question mark as anyone else on the big league team.  We don't have any other closing options right now either.

Jenks said this has happened in every spring camp that he has been in. Why would this year be any different?

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Of course there should be concern with Jenks.  We heard two straight spring trainings that Koch's velocity would come over the course of the month.  Jenks's mechanics looked terrible the last two times I saw him pitch.  People act like he has a track record of 10 years worth of success in the majors.  He's as much of a question mark as anyone else on the big league team.  We don't have any other closing options right now either.

fathom his control I might question, but he has been throwing triple digits since high school.

He was throwing at the most 95 last ST also.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
fathom his control I might question, but he has been throwing triple digits since high school.

He was throwing at the most 95 last ST also.

That's why I said it has more to do with his mechanics than anything else. When I saw him last week, it seemed like his fastball was more of a cutter than anything else. I'm not saying it's time to give up on Jenks like it was Hermanson. It will be interesting to see if he improved his mechanics tomorrow.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
When you continue to draft guys who top out at 90 mph, they're not going to have an extremely high ceiling.  As we've all talked about, for every Buehrle or McCarthy, there's hundreds of pitchers who just don't have enough stuff to pitch at the big league level.  Thankfully, we're spending more money now, which is the best way to assure quality pitching at the big league level.

It's like speaking into a mirror. :D

I'm concerned about Jenks because he has never put his arm through what he put it through last season. He made 20 starts in 2002. That is the most he has made in his career. I believe he made 16 starts in 2003 and 14 in 2000. Last year between Birmingham and the White Sox, he appeared in 67 games. It may have an effect on his arm.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
It's like speaking into a mirror.  :D

Meanwhile, the Twins keep producing quality reliever after quality reliever because they're not afraid to draft and develop a hard throwing righty.

Ozzie has been testing these bullpen pitchers especially in the 9th but they all have sucked. I guess its better to find out now how these pitchers react on pressure situations instead of during the season.

Great comeback though. I thought we had this one.

He took some terrific swings that AB.  If he can keep his head on the ball like he showed that AB, he's going to be our starting 3b next season.

Not if his glove doesn't improve. He already has 4 errors this spring. His bat looks great though.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
Meanwhile, the Twins keep producing quality reliever after quality reliever because they're not afraid to draft and develop a hard throwing righty.

Now you're just patronizing me. ;)

Seriously though, Twins first 2005 Draft Pick (Garza--a hardthrowing pitcher) has done well in Spring Training. Why didn't we take him instead of Broadway? Or Cirillo? Oh yeah, Broadway rose his stock the last two months of college, is a lefthander, AND--most importantly--throws beneath 90. As you said, our management shouldn't concentrate on drafting Mark Buehlre's because they're rare. Let those pitchers fall into your lap.

Here's what we do from now on--find out who the Twins are scouting, then STEAL the picks from underneath their eyes. It's the only way to improve. Hire scouts to scout their scouts.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)

Seriously though, Twins first 2005 Draft Pick (Garza--a hardthrowing pitcher) has done well in Spring Training. Why didn't we take him instead of Broadway? Or Cirillo? Oh yeah, Broadway rose his stock the last two months of college, is a lefthander, AND--most importantly--throws beneath 90. As you said, our management shouldn't concentrate on drafting Mark Buehlre's because they're rare. Let those pitchers fall into your lap.

Broadway's a righty.

Here's what we do from now on--find out who the Twins are scouting, then STEAL the picks from underneath their eyes. It's the only way to improve. Hire scouts to scout their scouts.

Actually I believe you really thought Broadway was lefthanded but no worries.

Cirillo?

Are you perhaps talking about Carrillo, the guy the Padres drafted?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)

And if Broadway outproduced Garza in the minors this season, what about the comparison between the two of them then? Besides, Broadway is already more advanced than Garza, Lance is startin at AA, Garza at A ball.

Garza had only a four-seam fastball and a slow, lazy curveball when he enrolled at Fresno State, but he now has plus stuff with a four-pitch repertoire. His fastball ranges from 90-94 mph and touches 95, and a hard 82-84 mph slider is an effective second pitch. A 72-78 mph curve has the makings of a solid third pitch, while his changeup has been slower to develop. He's projected to be a starter in pro ball but could move into relief if his curve and changeup don't progress or he lacks the stamina to be a starter.

Garza had a 3.07 ERA for Fresno State Uni. in 2005 FWIW.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
Actually I believe you really thought Broadway was lefthanded but no worries.

Cirillo?

Are you perhaps talking about Carrillo, the guy the Padres drafted?

You can believe whatever you want to believe. I assure you I wouldn't mix up the pitching arm of a prospect I've seen myself on TV.

And yes, Carrillo--Mount Carmel graduate--was the pitcher referred in my post. Although you probably knew who I was talking about regardless of the mispelling.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

You can believe whatever you want to believe. I assure you I wouldn't mix up the pitching arm of a prospect I've seen myself on TV.

And yes, Carrillo--Mount Carmel graduate--was the pitcher referred in my post. Although you probably knew who I was talking about regardless of the mispelling.

Lighten up Francis.

Actually I thought you were talking about Chris Gentz, LOL.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
Lighten up Francis.

Actually I thought you were talking about Chris Gentz, LOL.

Does everyone watch Malcom In the Middle, or is "lighten up francis" a term I've missed which has been around for a long time? Too many people are saying it.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
Does everyone watch Malcom In the Middle, or is "lighten up francis" a term I've missed which has been around for a long time? Too many people are saying it.

I think that came from Pee Wee's big adventure