Burnett exits game with injury

SSH2005

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=tor

Burnett exits game with injury

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- After throwing just one pitch in the second inning, starter A.J. Burnett was removed from the game against the Red Sox on Saturday for precautionary reasons due to an injury in his elbow.

Burnett, who signed a five-year, $55 million deal with Toronto in December, threw just 18 pitches before Toronto pitching coach Brad Arnsberg and a team trainer met with him on the mound. The right-hander left the game and headed to the Blue Jays clubhouse.

Burnett allowed two runs on three hits, including an RBI-double to Boston's J.T. Snow, in the first inning. With the outing against the Red Sox, Burnett has an ERA of 9.00 in three starts -- spanning eight innings.

Toronto left-hander Gustavo Chacin replaced Burnett in the second.

anyone know how serious it is?

Wow, this could be the worst signing ever...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...id=968332188492

Arm pain benches Burnett

Mar. 18, 2006. 04:57 PM

GEOFF BAKER

SPORTS REPORTER

DUNEDIN, Fla. - Blue Jays pitcher A.J. Burnett was taken to a hospital for an examination of his right elbow area after removing himself from Saturday's game in the second inning.

Jays pitching coach Brad Arnsberg said Burnett - signed to a five-year, $55 million (all figures U.S.) free-agent deal this winter -- began experiencing soreness in the elbow area during the first inning of his start in an 8-4 loss to Boston Red Sox. Burnett tried to shake the feeling off between innings, then signaled to the dugout that he couldn't continue after throwing just one more pitch.

"He thought he might have felt whatever in the first inning and then in the second inning it just didn't come around,'' Arnsberg said, adding that he'd never have allowed Burnett to start the second inning had he known the pitcher was hurting.

"Of course not,'' he said. "That's ludicrous.''

Jays manager John Gibbons said the soreness was in the general elbow area, but added that Burnett wasn't sure whether it was centered in the forearm or the elbow joint itself. The distinction is a huge one because Burnett already had "Tommy John'' ligament transplant surgery in the elbow back in 2003 and could be lost for a lengthy period if the latest pain is a recurrence.

Gibbons said Burnett felt the discomfort after one pitch, adding that he wasn't aware of the pitcher experiencing any soreness prior to that. But the speed with which Burnett signaled to his dugout immediately after throwing the final pitch seemed to suggest he'd been aware of a potential problem beforehand.

"It would be a big blow if it's something serious,'' Gibbons said. "We're hoping not. But I mean, even if it's nothing serious it's going to set him back. We don't know for how long. I mean, we're pulling for the kid. And if it's something serious, then we've got to make adjustments like we did last year.''

Burnett was taken to a hospital for a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exam shortly after leaving the game. The team was very tight-lipped about his condition afterwards, telling coaches and staff not to say anything more about it until further notice.

Jays catcher Bengie Molina said he'd signaled for Burnett to throw him a fastball to start that second inning. But he added that Burnett seemed to hesitate "like he was throwing a change-up'' as he made the pitch.

"He kept saying he was sore, he was sore,'' Molina said of what Burnett told Jays trainer Dave Abraham on the mound. "He couldn't do another pitch. He couldn't handle it.''

Molina wasn't certain whether or not the soreness was in Burnett's elbow.

"They kept telling him 'Don't point, don't point','' he added. "So, I have no idea.''

The signing of Burnett last December was seen as the addition of a vital No. 2 cog in the starting rotation behind staff ace Roy Halladay. Just three days ago, the Jays committed another $40 million to Halladay in a three-year contract extension to bring his pact more in line with Burnett's.

"For me, it's not about how much money they spent,'' Molina said. "For me, it's about the team. We need him and I think it's going to be a big loss if we lose him. I hope not. I hope everything is fine. I hope he's just sore and we can overcome this in a couple of weeks, maybe, or a week or less.

"Let's just wait for the results.''

This will be the next Chan Ho Park disaster. You'd think organizations would reconsider long term contracts such as these after this. Probably not, though. Watch Wood bank in with an extended contract when he becomes a FA.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Darren Dreifort would question whether it is even the worst 5 year, $55 million deal given to a pitcher ever.

I think Kevin Brown's 7 year, $105 Million deal tops that

This will be the next Chan Ho Park disaster. You'd think organizations would reconsider long term contracts such as these after this. Probably not, though. Watch Wood bank in with an extended contract when he becomes a FA.

Park was never badly hurt. He just badly sucked.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=tor

Burnett, Jays avoid scare

MRI reveals no damage to right-hander's elbow

By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Toronto's clubhouse was unusually quiet as team officials and players wanted to keep speculation to a minimum until they learned the extent of the injury suffered by A.J. Burnett.

After throwing just one pitch in the second inning against the Red Sox on Saturday, Burnett turned towards the dugout and signaled that he wanted to cut his outing short. Toronto pitching coach Brad Arnsberg and assistant trainer Dave Abraham met with Burnett on the mound to find out what the problem was.

Burnett, who signed a five-year, $55 million deal with Toronto in December, indicated that he was feeling soreness in his elbow. The right-hander was removed as a precaution after just 18 pitches, and then left the ballpark to undergo an MRI.

The results of the test will allow the team and its fans to let out a sigh of relief.

Burnett underwent a contrast MRI that showed no damage to the elbow. Due to the type of procedure, Burnett will need around five days to allow the contrast dye to dissipate before he resumes throwing activities.

"It'd be a big blow if it's something serious. We're hoping it's not," Toronto manager John Gibbons said before learning the result of the MRI. "Even if it's not something serious, it's still going to set him back a little bit anyway. We don't know for how long, but we're pulling for the kid."

As Burnett walked back to the clubhouse with Abraham, the infielders convened on the mound while left-hander Gustavo Chacin made his way from the bullpen. The group had reason to worry when Burnett indicated that his elbow was the source of the pain.

"I got there after A.J. was gone, but I asked Troy [Glaus], and he said it was in his elbow," Toronto first baseman Lyle Overbay said. "If it's in his elbow, that's scary."

One of the reasons a serious injury to Burnett's elbow would have been "scary" for Toronto is the fact that he had Tommy John surgery on the same elbow in 2003. He pitched in only four games that season for Florida.

"He's had that elbow reconstructed in the past, so he knows his body," Gibbons said. "He didn't try to throw a few more pitches, which was smart."

According to Arnsberg, however, Burnett did throw a few more pitches after feeling some soreness in the arm.

Arnsberg said that when he spoke with Burnett on the mound, the pitcher informed him that he had experience some minor pain during the first inning, when he allowed two runs on three hits. Burnett, who was originally scheduled to pitch five innings, decided to see if the soreness continued into the second inning. That's when he notified the coaches that there was a problem.

"He thought he might have felt something in the first inning, and then he went out in the second," Arnsberg said. "After his warmup pitches, he thought he'd try one pitch, and that's when things went astray."

Arnsberg said that he wouldn't have allowed Burnett to continue to throw if he knew the pitcher was experiencing pain. Burnett was scheduled to pitch five innings and throw approximately 80 pitches.

Bengie Molina, who was catching when Burnett was pitching, said that he didn't know the pitcher was feeling any pain in the first inning, either. Molina did note that he knew there was something wrong when Burnett fired his lone pitch in the second frame.

"I called for a fastball and he threw it, like hesitating, and [it looked] like a changeup," Molina said. "Then he got hurt. I don't know what the deal is right now. ... He said he was sore. He kept saying he was sore, he was sore."

If the injury develops into anything worse, Toronto will probably turn to Scott Downs, Pete Walker or Dustin McGowan as a temporary replacement in the rotation. When the Jays lost starters Roy Halladay and Ted Lilly last season, those three played important roles in keeping the staff intact.

"If it's something serious," Gibbons said, "we'll just have to make adjustments like we did last year."

For now, it looks like Burnett will be OK.

Either way this is bad news. If the injury was anywhere else on his body, it would be no big deal, but not to the throwing elbow.

Here is a funny link about player values compared to their career salary:

http://mikesrants.baseballtoaster.com/archives/322892.html

Dreifort takes the honor as the least productive player ever. Surprising Contreras is #4 due to his huge contract from the Yanks.

Mike Hampton signed a contract with the Rockies for 8 years/121 million in 2001. Average $15.125 million a year. His contract goes thru 2008. He currently has 53 wins from 2001-2005. He would have to win 68 games in the last 3 years of his contract to average $1 million per start. That is a pretty bad deal too.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
Mike Hampton signed a contract with the Rockies for 8 years/121 million in 2001.  Average $15.125 million a year.  His contract goes thru 2008.  He currently has 53 wins from 2001-2005.  He would have to win 68 games in the last 3 years of his contract to average $1 million per start.  That is a pretty bad deal too.

Especially since he's out for this entire season, IIRC.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 03:23 AM)
We almost traded McCarthy for this guy.

This is incorrect IMO, we were rumored to be interested in him and the reported deals revolved around Contreras and McCarthy. I don't think KW was ever serious about trading Bmac no matter what you heard in the media at that time.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
This is incorrect IMO, we were rumored to be interested in him and the reported deals revolved around Contreras and McCarthy. I don't think KW was ever serious about trading Bmac no matter what you heard in the media at that time.

There were two factors that kept a deal from happening, IMO. One, the Marlins were still very much in the wildcard race. Two, there was no way he was gonna agree to a contract extension with the Sox...ala Freddy Garcia. I can't say I blame him considering the ridiculous contract he got from Toronto. Either way, I'm estatic that McCarthy is a member of the White Sox.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 02:02 AM)
Mike Hampton signed a contract with the Rockies for 8 years/121 million in 2001.  Average $15.125 million a year.  His contract goes thru 2008.  He currently has 53 wins from 2001-2005.  He would have to win 68 games in the last 3 years of his contract to average $1 million per start.  That is a pretty bad deal too.

Didn't they also sign Denny Neagle to a similar deal at the same time? Ouch.