NCAA Refs/Gambling/Fixes

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Great post, Rex.  I know it's tough that IU lost, but congrats on the stance you took on Gonzaga pre-tourney -- I thought IU would have their way with the Zags, and quite the opposite was true.  I didn't see the game, but it's more impressive that Morrison, at one point, was like 3-of-15 from the field.

This thread, IMO, comes off as very whiney.  But, if I was in the same position (ie Marquette getting the short stick with calls), I could see myself doing the same.  Just, not as far as to say these games are being 'fixed'.  Sheesh -- take a step back there...

That's all I was arguing, that we got the short end of the stick with the calls, nothing more.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
2002874837.jpg

I'm sure glad the refs got this call right and called the foul on Arnold.  It's not like that would make a difference in a game that is decided by 1 possesion.

When do you think you'll give it up?

Just wondering.

I mean at some point I hope you come to terms that the game is over and there is nothing you can accomplish by arguing over this. They are not going to go back and change anything that happened so my advice would be to just enjoy the rest of the dance and chill out.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)

Just wondering.

I mean at some point I hope you come to terms that the game is over and there is nothing you can accomplish by arguing over this.  They are not going to go back and change anything that happened so my advice would be to just enjoy the rest of the dance and chill out.

When will I give it up? Tomorrow morning, when the sweet 16 is set and it's time to root for the underdog and prepare for the next set of games. Would Illinois have defeated UConn? Hell no, but the fact the refs are the reason we aren't getting a chance isn't very fair.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
When will I give it up?  Tomorrow morning, when the sweet 16 is set and it's time to root for the underdog and prepare for the next set of games.  Would Illinois have defeated UConn?  Hell no, but the fact the refs are the reason we aren't getting a chance isn't very fair.

Alright, I just think you are wasting energy on this, but do as you please.

For the record, my brackets are f***ed cause I had ILL in the Final Four.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
Alright, I just think you are wasting energy on this, but do as you please.

For the record, my brackets are f***ed cause I had ILL in the Final Four.

And my bracket had Illinois losing to UConn next round, so them losing to Washington made minimal difference.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)

Just wondering.

I mean at some point I hope you come to terms that the game is over and there is nothing you can accomplish by arguing over this.  They are not going to go back and change anything that happened so my advice would be to just enjoy the rest of the dance and chill out.

Because ignoring the situation and letting the NCAA get away with things like this is much better.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
Because ignoring the situation and letting the NCAA get away with things like this is much better.

Its *not* a situation. You are making something out of nothing.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
When will I give it up?  Tomorrow morning, when the sweet 16 is set and it's time to root for the underdog and prepare for the next set of games.  Would Illinois have defeated UConn?  Hell no, but the fact the refs are the reason we aren't getting a chance isn't very fair.

Yup.

The game was fixed, the refs were paid to make every call for Washington and against UofI. This will be uncovered tomorrow morning, and you will become a national hero.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
Ugh even if that happened i'd get no credit.  :(

Look -- I didn't mean for my post to piss off Illini fans.

It's just -- I see guys like SnB and Krush (who are the two biggest ILL fans that I know personally). And I know that they're probably just as pissed off as you are. Unless I'm really missing a big thread, however, I've seen very little b****ing/complaining from either of the two.

You've gotten your point across, everybody here knows how you feel. Be done with it. JMHO.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
Look -- I didn't mean for my post to piss off Illini fans.

It's just -- I see guys like SnB and Krush (who are the two biggest ILL fans that I know personally).  And I know that they're probably just as pissed off as you are.  Unless I'm really missing a big thread, however, I've seen very little b****ing/complaining from either of the two. 

You've gotten your point across, everybody here knows how you feel.  Be done with it.  JMHO.

I was done with it several posts ago when I said come tomorrow morning I'm dropping it, however a few posters have chosen to keep the thread going, which is fine. Oh, and that post you quoted wasn't a joke, if some scandal was uncovered tomorrow that involved things I said in post #1 of this thread, I'd still get no love :(.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
Of course it is a situation. The reffing in NCAA basketball is terrible and needs to be improved. No way should anyone disagree with this.

Yea, the reffing isn't that good, but what I was talking about was a bias against the Illini, or Big 10 teams. The refs aren't getting paid off here, they are just being human and making mistakes.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)

Seems to me if Illinois would have shot better than 39% from the field and 28% from 3-point range, they would have won. Don't see how the referees are responsible for them not making shots.

I'm sure the conspiracy goes something like this..... "Let's hope Illinois shoots badly so we can screw them in the end, because we all know Washington is a much better TV draw." Oh and while we are at it, let's make sure North Carolina and Kansas get knocked out early because they have no national drawing power either.

Makes sense to me!

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
Seems to me if Illinois would have shot better than 39% from the field and 28% from 3-point range, they would have won.  Don't see how the referees are responsible for them not making shots. 

I'm sure the conspiracy goes something like this.....    "Let's hope Illinois shoots badly so we can screw them in the end, because we all know Washington is a much better TV draw."  Oh and while we are at it, let's make sure North Carolina and Kansas get knocked out early because they have no national drawing power either.

Makes sense to me!

:lol: :lol:

I'm just going to ignore that sillyness. You are ignoring the entire thread with that post.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
2002874837.jpg

I'm sure glad the refs got this call right and called the foul on Arnold.  It's not like that would make a difference in a game that is decided by 1 possesion.

Do you have the photo a split second before this showing the push of the Washington player? Notice his legs, he's probably grabbing the Illinois player so he won't fall down.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 01:28 AM)
Do you have the photo a split second before this showing the push of the Washington player? Notice his legs, he's probably grabbing the Illinois player so he won't fall down.

Should we start posting all the pictures from the Arizona site of the contact that was made on the "steals" the Illini had in their comeback last season?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
Of course it is a situation. The reffing in NCAA basketball is terrible and needs to be improved. No way should anyone disagree with this.

Officiating in general is a hit or miss proposition. When was the last time you watched a game in any sport without b****ing about a single call? It's never going to be perfect, so you just have to live with it. Granted some games are better or worse than others, but there is no fail safe solution where every game is called well.

I have a couple of questions for all of you who are claiming that the fix is in: if you believe that is true, why the hell do you watch? If all the games are fixed, doesn't that make college hoops like wrestling without the soapy-like storylines? Or are the games only fixed when your teams lose?

As a college basketball fan, I'm a lot more worried about the players fixing games than I am the officials doing it. And I'm not very worried about the players, truth be told.

Do bad calls happen? Of course. Do they decide games? No. That's why the games last 40 minutes, to dampen the effect of the bad calls. I've never really figured out why people expect officials to be perfect -- "yeah, we shot 37% from the floor and 71% from the line, but if Hightower hadn't blown those three calls, we would have had a chance!"

For some reason the UConn/Washington game gave me the urge to bump this thread. Was it anything more than karma getting Washington back since they didn't deserve to even be in this game? We'll never know, but the subject isn't going away, even if I'm now long over what happened to the Illini.

Could Illinois still have beat Washington? Yes.

Could Washington still have beat UConn? If Romar wasn't an idiot at the end of regulation, they DO beat UConn.

But at the same time....these refs aren't bad, they are something even worse, and it looks a bit crooked. And it's a bit sad teams have to win big tournament games now IN SPITE of the refs being stacked against them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Yes, refs are this bad. They've been awful all season, and they're having too much of an impact on the outcome of games. Why does everyone have to think that they're bad because they're crooked?

I hope Illini fans feel better now though, because UW got completely hosed tonight. Kudos to the George Mason fans for booing the refs at the end. However, UW still had their chances to win.

Now...can we please leave our officiating bashing for something more useful...........like why MLB is screwing the Sox every game because they don't want us to repeat!!!

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 03:07 AM)
Yes, refs are this bad.  They've been awful all season, and they're having too much of an impact on the outcome of games.  Why does everyone have to think that they're bad because they're crooked? 

I agree with you whole heartedly. The refs are bad, so what? It doesn't mean they are crooked. They are just human, and showing that they do make mistakes.

Edited by Felix