Injury updates: Contreras, Hermanson, Pods, Thome

SSH2005

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Injury update

Jose Contreras said his right elbow felt fine after playing catch with Triple-A Charlotte pitching coach Juan Nieves and he hopes to resume pitching March 25 against San Francisco.

"That's the best scenario," said Cooper, adding Contreras will throw bullpen sessions Monday and Wednesday.

The prognosis also is encouraging for reliever Dustin Hermanson, who felt no discomfort in his lower back after throwing a 10-minute bullpen session Friday at about 60 percent.

Hermanson is scheduled to throw sideline sessions Sunday and Tuesday with the possibility of returning Thursday against Texas in Surprise, Ariz.

Left fielder Scott Podsednik, who hasn't played since March 6 because of tendinitis in his left throwing shoulder, is scheduled to play in a minor-league game Monday in Tucson.

Designated hitter Jim Thome hurt his left hamstring while running out a double in the fourth and is listed as day-to-day.

Extra innings

Because of wet weather forecast for Phoenix, Freddy Garcia will stay in Tucson and pitch in a minor-league game.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Yea I also noticed Thome running funny around the bases. But maybe thats just his style. I expect him and Pauly to run at the same speed this year.

LOL Someone who Konerko can race and have a legit chance of winning?

:D

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
dam, i dont want thome injured, even if it is np.

Folks, it's a tweaked hamstring. I got news for you...these things happen all the bloody time in Spring Training. It's what happens when you go from working out in a weight room to build muscle to working out on a baseball field, where you're starting from 0 and going to a sprint on sand in as little time as possible. These things happen to every single team. Players on every single team tweak hamstrings in Spring Training.

Usually, around the beginning of the year, there'll be a few teams who have several guys who wind up missing games in the first two or three weeks because they pull a Hammy. Why? Because they took it too easy during the spring, never got these things otu of the way, and when the season hit, they weren't ready for it.

All this means is that Jim Thome hasn't been playing baseball for the last 6 months. It doesn't mean a thing about his body, or his physical condition, or annything else. We should be happy it's happening now and not 3 weeks from now when it could cost us real games...because there are teams who's managers let that happen.

Haven't followed spring training as closely as I'd like.

My question is, how has Thome fared this spring?

Has he hit for power? I know he was hurt last year, but he didn't really have any power numbers in his few at bats. Just wondered if he had the power stroke working or if he's been lousy.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
Haven't followed spring training as closely as I'd like.

My question is, how has Thome fared this spring?

Has he hit for power? I know he was hurt last year, but he didn't really have any power numbers in his few at bats. Just wondered if he had the power stroke working or if he's been lousy.

He's looked fantastic. He was hitting .350 last time I checked. He's got about 7 or 8 walks, showing that his eye is as good as it's ever been. Don't worry about the lack of HR'S. He's just missed atleast 4 or 5. I'd say 3 of those easily go out at the Cell.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
Folks, it's a tweaked hamstring.  I got news for you...these things happen all the bloody time in Spring Training.  It's what happens when you go from working out in a weight room to build muscle to working out on a baseball field, where you're starting from 0 and going to a sprint on sand in as little time as possible.  These things happen to every single team.  Players on every single team tweak hamstrings in Spring Training.

Usually, around the beginning of the year, there'll be a few teams who have several guys who wind up missing games in the first two or three weeks because they pull a Hammy.  Why?  Because they took it too easy during the spring, never got these things otu of the way, and when the season hit, they weren't ready for it.

All this means is that Jim Thome hasn't been playing baseball for the last 6 months.  It doesn't mean a thing about his body, or his physical condition, or annything else.  We should be happy it's happening now and not 3 weeks from now when it could cost us real games...because there are teams who's managers let that happen.

I agree with you on that it happens all the time, but the only issue to monitor is if the hamstring injury affects his lower back. That would be more of a concern than the actual leg injury itself.

Injury update

Left fielder Ross Gload bruised his left knee after running into a fence while catching Zach Sorensen's fly to end the fourth inning.

"I'm surprised I caught it," joked Gload, who said his knee was fine. "I ran into the padding, and the padding won."

Left fielder Scott Podsednik, battling a sore left shoulder, will play in a minor-league game Monday, with the possibility of returning to Cactus League play as soon as Tuesday.

Reliever Dustin Hermanson, bothered by a sore lower back, increased the intensity of his bullpen session and reported no discomfort.

Designated hitter Jim Thome said his left hamstring felt fine, a day after he felt tightness while running out a double.

http://suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley20.html

FALL GUY: Outfielder Ross Gload ran into a wall in left field during the 8-7 loss to the Brewers and left the game with what was called a bruised left knee. The Sox didn't think it was serious, and Gload will be re-examined today.

INJURY FRONT: Jose Contreras, who missed his last start with soreness in his right elbow, played catch again Sunday and moved closer to getting back on the mound.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp

Banged up: For the second time in less than a week, Ross Gload was nearly seriously injured while playing left field for the Sox.

Gload came out of Sunday’s game with a bruised left knee after banging into the fence against the Brewers.

Against the Rockies on Wednesday, Gload also crashed into the wall but was able to remain in the game.

Injury update: A week after coming out of a Cactus League game with back soreness, relief pitcher Dustin Hermanson threw a sideline session Sunday and continued to make strides back toward the mound.

“It went well, fine,’’ said pitching coach Don Cooper. “He probably went up a level of intensity, to 7 or 8 on a scale of 10.’’

Hermanson will take today off and throw on the side again Tuesday.

Starting pitcher Jose Contreras (sore right triceps) played catch again Sunday and is still on track to start against the Giants at the end of the week.

Edited by SSH2005

I met Jim yesterday in tucson. He was here with his brother and father and we sat next to him while watching the Bradley game. He is fine. Very encouraged at how many whitesox fans come to spring training and recognize him. he is very humble and what I would consider a great pro.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
I met Jim yesterday in tucson. He was here with his brother and father and we sat next to him while watching the Bradley game. He is fine. Very encouraged at how many whitesox fans come to spring training and recognize him. he is very humble and what I would consider a great pro.

Good to hear, quick.

Rehab update

Leadoff batter Scott Podsednik, playing in a game for the first time since March 6 because of tendinitis in his left shoulder, went 1-for-5 with a home run and stolen base in a minor-league game against Arizona. Podsednik is scheduled to return Thursday against Texas, trainer Herm Schneider said. … Designated hitter Jim Thome (left hamstring) might play Tuesday against San Diego. … Pitcher Jose Contreras (right elbow) reverted to his overhand delivery during a bullpen session and felt fine, pitching coach Don Cooper reported. Contreras is scheduled to pitch Saturday against San Francisco.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley21.html

MOVING CLOSER: Starting pitcher Jose Contreras continued to progress from an irritated muscle in his right elbow, throwing 50 pitches off the mound Monday morning.

With Cooper looking on, Contreras threw his full arsenal of pitches. The only thing he stayed away from was throwing pitches from his lower arm angle.

"We took it out for a little test run, and it was as much mental for him as it was physical,'' Cooper said. "But the bottom line is he's feeling good.''

Contreras will take today off, then throw a side session Wednesday. If all continues to go well, he is scheduled to start Saturday.

SHOULDERING THE LOAD: Outfielder Scott Podsednik saw his first game action since March 6, playing with the Class AAA Sox players against Colorado.

Podsednik, who had been on the shelf with a sore left shoulder, went 1-for-5 with a solo home run, a walk and a stolen base. He was allowed to lead off for the Sox every inning and will play in a minor-league game with the same format today. His scheduled return to the big-league lineup is Thursday.

Edited by SSH2005