Juan Gonzalez to the Red Sox

SSH2005

Latest News  Mar. 19, 2006 - 1:46 pm et

According to El Nuevo Dia, Juan Gonzalez will report to Red Sox camp on Monday to compete for a job as a reserve.

His agent reportedly confirmed the deal, saying Gonzalez would have the opportunity to make $1 million. Dustan Mohr has played very well this spring, so Gonzalez will have an uphill battle to win a spot as Trot Nixon's platoon player in right field.

Source:  El Nuevo Dia

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ne...t=.jsp&c_id=bos

Gonzalez signs Minor League deal

Former American League MVP could provide bench depth

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- In a move that could add a significant dose of power off the bench, the Red Sox have signed former superstar Juan Gonzalez to a Minor League contract that includes an invitation to Spring Training.

The two-time American League Most Valuable Player (1996 and '98) is expected to be in camp on Tuesday, when the Red Sox host the Minnesota Twins.

Gonzalez spent the 2005 season with the Indians, but he played just one game because of severe hamstring woes.

Injuries have been a recurring theme for Gonzalez, who has played in just 166 games over the last four seasons.

However, he has been on a regular workout program and wanted to play in the World Baseball Classic, but he was not part of Puerto Rico's 30-man roster.

Considering how deep the Red Sox are into camp, it appears all but certain that Gonzalez will start the season either in extended Spring Training or the Minor Leagues.

If Gonzalez can stay healthy, he'd be a dangerous bat off the bench and could possibly spell Trot Nixon -- Boston's left-handed-hitting right fielder -- against lefties.

The 36-year-old Gonzalez has clubbed 434 home runs in a career spent with the Rangers (1989-99, 2002-03), Tigers (2000), Indians (2001, 2005) and Royals (2004).

Edited by SSH2005

Last year, everyone thought Signing Gonzalez might be the unheralded signing that pushed Cleveland over the top.

Clearly, this will be even more reason to pick the Red Sox in the East. I mean, Ortiz, Ramirez, Varitek, Gonzalez, what can go wrong, am I right?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
The Red Sox may also be looking to trade for Willy Mo Pena using Bronson Arroyo as trade-bait...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5427236

If Cincinnati's dumb enough to trade Pena for Arroyo, they should just give up all hope of competing.

Arroyo's a good #3-4 pitcher, whereas Pena could be a hella stud a couple of years from now. Why on earth would you even consider if you are a World Series contender, let alone a team that is in constant rebuild/retool mode?

For my sake as a baseball fan, I hope Krivsky is not that dumb.

If Cincinnati's dumb enough to trade Pena for Arroyo, they should just give up all hope of competing.

Arroyo's a good #3-4 pitcher, whereas Pena could be a hella stud a couple of years from now.  Why on earth would you even consider if you are a World Series contender, let alone a team that is in constant rebuild/retool mode?

For my sake as a baseball fan, I hope Krivsky is not that dumb.

It wouldn't be dumb at all. The Reds have needed pitching FOREVER. Even without Pena, their offense would still be one of the best in the N.L. They could just throw Hatteberg at 1B and keep Dunn in LF. Then their outfield would be Dunn, Griffey, and Kearns. Or they could throw Dunn at 1B and stick Freel in LF. They would still have a very good offense even without Pena. Without an improved rotation, they will never win anything.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
It wouldn't be dumb at all.  The Reds have needed pitching FOREVER.  Even without Pena, their offense would still be one of the best in the N.L.  They could just throw Hatteberg at 1B and keep Dunn in LF.  Then their outfield would be Dunn, Griffey, and Kearns.  Or they could throw Dunn at 1B and stick Freel in LF.  They would still have a very good offense even without Pena.  Without an improved rotation, they will never win anything.

You and Krivsky think alike. I figure I like Pena a lot more than you and apparently Krivsky do, and I wouldn't have signed Hatteberg at all. The Reds are going to need dumb-luck to right their ship this year, so I would have gone with young players, traded veterans for prospects, and just started from scratch.

All that, and I'm not a huge Arroyo fan either. Rather mediocre stuff. If I had traded Pena, I would have been looking at younger, less developed pitching.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
You and Krivsky think alike.  I figure I like Pena a lot more than you and apparently Krivsky do, and I wouldn't have signed Hatteberg at all.  The Reds are going to need  dumb-luck to right their ship this year, so I would have gone with young players, traded veterans for prospects, and just started from scratch.

All that, and I'm not a huge Arroyo fan either.  Rather mediocre stuff. If I had traded Pena, I would have been looking at younger, less developed pitching.

You could possibly see Arroyo traded for younger pitching at the break.