Cintron fitting in with new mates

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Cintron fitting in with new mates

Gload survives run-in with fence; Nomo to pitch Monday

By Robert Falkoff and Scott Merkin / MLB.com

PHOENIX -- Alex Cintron hasn't wasted any time in making an impression on his new teammates. If Cintron's first two games with the White Sox are any indication, he'll fit in quite nicely with the reigning world champions.

With a 3-for-3 performance against the Brewers on a chilly Sunday, Cintron is now 5-of-7 overall while wearing a Chicago uniform. A hot hitter for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic, Cintron hasn't missed a beat since stepping into the White Sox clubhouse on Friday.

"I was playing a hard nine innings in the World Baseball Classic and now I'm here to show this team what I can do," Cintron said. "I want to do whatever I can to help this team win another championship."

The White Sox, who acquired Cintron from Arizona in a March 8 trade for reliever Jeff Bajenaru, can live without Cintron hitting .714. But they do expect the newcomer, who started at second base on Sunday, to hit for a solid average and provide quality insurance at three infield positions.

Cintron wasn't the only hot hitter on Sunday as the White Sox fell, 8-7, to the Brewers. First baseman Paul Konerko was 3-for-3 with a homer and double, and Rob Mackowiak was 2-for-4 with a triple and two RBIs.

"We're starting to come around," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "The most important guys are swinging the bat pretty good. The only guy I'm concerned about swinging the bat is [Tadihito] Iguchi."

Scary moment: The White Sox received a scare in the fourth inning of Sunday's game when left fielder Ross Gload made an outstanding catch of Zach Sorensen's foul drive down the left-field line, but then smacked into the fence and stayed down for a few minutes. Gload got up shaking his left knee with Guillen looking on.

Gload came into the third-base dugout, but then left the game. He walked gingerly to the White Sox clubhouse.

"It was more a cut than anything," Gload said. "I rammed it, but I'm fine."

Whether it's Spring Training or the playoffs, Gload will take on a fence going full speed.

"You just leave it all out there," Gload said. "The most surprising thing is that I caught the ball."

Rain delayed: Temperatures in the high 40s, strong winds and a deluge of rain in Tucson turned Freddy Garcia's first start back with the White Sox into primarily side work.

Garcia was held back to pitch in a Minor League game at Hi Corbett Field because of the fear of rain in the Phoenix area. Garcia's game was called in the third inning, with Garcia allowing four hits and one run while striking out three. It wasn't the easiest day to pitch, by Garcia's estimation.

"I couldn't get loose," said Garcia, back in the dry confines of the White Sox clubhouse at the Kino Sports Complex. "But there's nothing you can do about it."

Garcia was thankful for his two starts with Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic with regard to getting him ready for the regular season. Garcia is scheduled to pitch Friday in Peoria against Seattle.

Steady but slow: Dustin Hermanson threw 50 pitches during his second straight pain-free session in Tucson on Sunday. But the right-hander won't allow himself to get excited until his back shows no after-effects from pitching in a game. After all, he had no pain throwing bullpens and live batting practice earlier this spring.

"It's positive so far," Hermanson said. "But if I'm getting sore after just bullpens, then I'm in trouble. There's no way I should be sore at all during bullpens."

Hermanson receives his second of three epidural injections Tuesday and then is scheduled to throw another side session. If all goes well, his next step would be to return to live-game action.

Third to first: Hideo Nomo will pitch for the White Sox in Surprise on Monday. Nomo remains a long shot to make the Major League roster. Pitching coach Don Cooper was leaning toward keeping back relievers Neal Cotts, Bobby Jenks, Cliff Politte, Boone Logan and Brandon McCarthy to throw in Tucson. ... Scott Podsednik is scheduled to test his sore left shoulder on Monday and Tuesday in Minor League games and then move back to Cactus League action on Wednesday. ... Jenks appreciated his closed-door talk with Guillen and Cooper after Saturday's victory over the Cubs. "It was the big-league speech," said Jenks with a smile, referring to Guillen's main point of being ready for the increased scrutiny. "It was very positive.". ... Clayton Richard had a nice first inning in his Sunday start against Milwaukee. He got three ground-ball outs with a walk spliced in. But Richard didn't make it out of the second, allowing three walks and a two-run single. Richard, an eighth-round draft pick last June, spent most of 2005 at Advanced Rookie Bristol where he went 3-2 with a 4.70 ERA.

[snip]Scary moment: The White Sox received a scare in the fourth inning of Sunday's game when left fielder Ross Gload made an outstanding catch of Zach Sorensen's foul drive down the left-field line, but then smacked into the fence and stayed down for a few minutes. Gload got up shaking his left knee with Guillen looking on.

Gload came into the third-base dugout, but then left the game. He walked gingerly to the White Sox clubhouse.

Whether it's Spring Training or the playoffs, Gload will take on a fence going full speed.

"You just leave it all out there," Gload said. "The most surprising thing is that I caught the ball."

[/snip]

What a cancer and bad influence this guy is... :headshake

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
[snip]Scary moment: The White Sox received a scare in the fourth inning of Sunday's game when left fielder Ross Gload made an outstanding catch of Zach Sorensen's foul drive down the left-field line, but then smacked into the fence and stayed down for a few minutes. Gload got up shaking his left knee with Guillen looking on.

[/snip]

What a cancer and bad influence this guy is...  :headshake

Wait a second. I just found out last week or so that Frank isn't the devil. You mean Gload isn't the devil, either?

"So if you're Iguchi, you gettin' nervous?

Yea, but only 'cause Japan might win the WBC without him.

Spring Training is meaningless. A professional like the Gooch will worry if his OPS is .640 in late June.

I'd start worrying too at that point. Until then, I"ll just hope he stays healthy in the cactus league.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
So if you're Iguchi, you gettin' nervous?

I think he should be. He strings a bunch of 0'fer games together...Cintron gonna be gettin alot of his time. Maybe not right now be nervous for Gooch...but I think he's smart enough to know he needs to produce or grab some bench once April gets here.

I don't think Gooch has anything to worry about now, but if he doesn't figure something out at the plate over the next two weeks he might. Especially if Cintron keeps up his excellent hitting. That will make things really interesting. Ozzie likes going with the hot hand or bat so he might make the switch.

A rejuvenated Nomo and fresh armed Logan would make a nice addition to the bullpen. I am anxious to see how Nomo pitches.

Edited by RME JICO

Nomo throws only 85 MPH, has a wacky wind-up that is not conducive to holding runners on base (they will run on him all day long), and has been a starter his entire career. I really don't see him working out as a reliever. Worth a try I guess.

Tadahito is as nervous about his 2nd base job due to Cintron as Buehrle is about Nomo getting the start.

Dye, Konerko, and Crede were godawful until about the end of May last year, saving a few games to start the season, and at least to Ozzie, none of them came close to having their jobs in jeopardy. Cintron is a great backup. That's all.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
He's referring to all the reports of Gload not fitting in, being a bad guy, having the clubhouse dislike him, etc., and how they contrast with him going full speed into a wall in ST.

Ah yes. I remember once in 2nd grade when everyone seemed to not like me much, until I ran into that wall during kickball..........

BTW, the reports of people not liking Gload was about the management, not the players in the clubhouse.