Joe Borchard Traded to Seattle

retro1983hat

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)
It wasn't a good trade.  It was simply a lateral move -- one team's trash for another team's trash.  But Thornton gives us a microscopic twinkle of hope that Cooper could turn him around into a decent reliever to help replace the loss of Hermanson in our bullpen, our main area of weakness.

Okay, but any random waiver wire trash gives us a "microscopic twinkle of hope." It's not saying much.

Osuna would give me more than that...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
Given up a guy who hit 29 homeruns in Triple A last year, hit 5 of 12 for the Sox and hit .324 this spring for a picher with an ERA of last year of 5.51, raising his career avg to 4.82 and having a spring era of 14.14 while giving up 18 hits in 7 innings?

You better really spike that White Sox Kool-Aid to get me to believe that this is a good trade. It is not a bad trade as Joe was not going to contribute much to us this season, but I do not see how Thornton can either.

Comparing Borchard's spring training numbers and crappy AAA numbers (no mention of the hitters' park or the .265 average???) to Thornton's spring training numbers and career MLB numbers is stupid to me.

What everyone forgets is the coop factor.

Neal Cotts -- Couldnt hit the side of a barn if you put it 5 feet in front of him. Kind of had some Rick Ankiel type throws here and there. Bad Control.

Coop fixed him

Bobby Jenks - Couldnt hit the side of a barn if you put it 2 feet in front of him. Supposedly was a head case, picked up for nothing.

Coop has him throwing strikes, he was on the mound for the last out.

Now we have Thorton. Lets be honest, the Seattle coaching staff is not exactly known for their pitching prowess. In fact they have a new pitching instructor. Lets see what Cooper can do with him. I think he can be serviceable as a mop up guy.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 03:17 AM)
What everyone forgets is the coop factor.

Neal Cotts  -- Couldnt hit the side of a barn if you put it 5 feet in front of him.  Kind of had some Rick Ankiel type throws here and there.  Bad Control. 

Coop fixed him

Bobby Jenks -  Couldnt hit the side of a barn if you put it 2 feet in front of him.  Supposedly was a head case, picked up for nothing. 

Coop has him throwing strikes, he was on the mound for the last out.

Now we have Thorton.  Lets be honest, the Seattle coaching staff is not exactly known for their pitching prowess.  In fact they have a new pitching instructor.  Lets see what Cooper can do with him.  I think he can be serviceable as a mop up guy.

C'mon... Cotts wasn't half as bad as you suggest. In the minors, at every stop, he had a k/bb ratio of 2:1 or better. Has Thornton ever managed that? Jenks was a classic up-and-down headcase ($1 million arm, $0.10 head). Sometimes good, sometimes couldn't hit the side of a barn etc. Thornton has never been good after the injury.

I've always thought Borchard to be a good, decent human being, and I hope he's okay, mentally and emotionally. I wish him the best of luck, personally, and the most happiness.

As for the pitcher, I think we got a fair deal as far as talent, unfortunately. I just hope he, at least, is as decent a human being as Borchard -- the only place he really shines, IMO.

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
Bo Jackson, Deon Sanders, Brian Jordan and those were two sport athletes that played both

There are athletes that dropped football and plaed baseball

Remember Lou Gehrig?

For every failure there is a success story

Todd Helton quickly comes to mind for me.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:16 AM)
I disagree. It was only about one year ago when everyone on here was calling for his head.

But most of the knowledgeable posters and people that followed Cotts in the minors knew that good things were going to come from him.... it was just a matter of time and experiance.

He was a much better prospect than this guy we got from Seattle.

I'm just laughing on some of the posters here who are already saying this trade is horrible, and that our bullpen is s***ty. I think some tend to forget its March 20th. I want to see how things go down with Hermy, and if Coop can change this "kid" (Ozzie word :)) with his mechanics like he knows he could. Kenny wanted this pitcher for two years and just like Cintron, Vazquez, etc., he got his guy. Can we please see how this trade shakes up this season and say if its a bad trade down the road just like we did with the Garcia/Olivo&Reed deal? We'll see Thornton on Comcast and we'll see if Coop has him in the right direction mechanic wise before we all think it's a bad trade. (not to say if Borch even makes the roster for Seattle)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
All the thorton haters...are just that.

http://free.hostultra.com/~WSBLeague/p1480.html

That's one hell of a September. When Williams suggest he's been following Thornton for awhile, it must have dated back to this specific time frame.

Three straight games of 10+ strikeouts against quality opponents is quite an accomplishment. It must have been maddening for Seattle fans/management to watch a pitcher with so much potential continually struggle with control.

When the White Sox suggest (per whitesox.com) Cooper notices a mechanical flaw, you wonder what could it possibly be? And if it's so obvious to him from viewing video tape, how didn't Seattle's pitching instructors--with several seasons of interaction--notice it? If Cooper corrects any perceived flaws in Thornton's delivery and he actually improves, I'll jump aboard the "Cooper is a golden god" bandwagon. :D

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
That's one hell of a September. When Williams suggest he's been following Thornton for awhile, it must have dated back to this specific time frame.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Should someone tell Tizz or should I?

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
:lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

Should someone tell Tizz or should I?

I'm guessing they're fake....

Well, atleast it fooled Jackie Hayes as well. :D

Stats posted are from two years ago--not necessarily unreasonable to question their legitimacy.

Edited by Flash Tizzle