Reds acquire Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena

SSH2005

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=cin

Reds acquire Bronson Arroyo

Wily Mo Pena sent to Boston for starting pitcher

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today acquired RHP Bronson Arroyo and cash from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for OF Wily Mo Pena.

Arroyo, 29, went 14-10 with a 4.51 ERA in 35 games (32 starts) for the Red Sox last season. He established career highs in wins (14), starts (32) and innings pitched (205.1) while producing a team-high 20 quality starts.

Arroyo has appeared in the postseason in each of the last three seasons, including as a member of the 2004 World Champion Boston Red Sox.

Originally selected by the Pirates in the third round of the June 1995 draft, Arroyo owns a career record of 33-33 with a 4.59 ERA in 126 games (90 starts) with Pittsburgh (2000-02) and Boston (2003-05).

Pena, 24, batted .248 with 51 HR and 134 RBI in 302 games with the Reds from 2002-05.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boston trades Trot Nixon now unless they are just going to go with a Nixon / Pena platoon in RF. But it's weird that they just signed Juan Gone as well.

I guess this means that the Reds are going to start Hatteberg at 1B and keep Dunn in LF. Or I guess they could put Dunn at 1B and throw Freel in LF. Either way, at least the Reds finally realize what they need -- more pitching.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Not horrible for the Reds either; they definitely needed SP.  I'm not sure what the BoSox are going to do with more holes in their rotation, but at least the Reds are trying to plug their's.

The BoSox IIRC have more pitchers than they have spots for anyway. Beckett, Wells, Clement, Wakefield, Arroyo, Schilling, Paplebon. That's 7, with the rook as a backup (same formula as us with BMac). Unless they thought that 2 of their starters would hit the DL simultaneously and they wouldn't have any off-days to play with, there was little reason to hold onto all of them.

Is Wells resigned to playing for the BoSox this year? I don't like this trade for the Reds after all the hype around Pena. Arroyo will never be better than a 3rd starter for a bad team. He certainly has an affordable contract though. (What happened to the gentleman's agreement between Arroyo and the Sox not to trade him?)

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
Is Wells resigned to playing for the BoSox this year?  I don't like this trade for the Reds after all the hype around Pena.  Arroyo will never be better than a 3rd starter for a bad team.  He certainly has an affordable contract though.  (What happened to the gentleman's agreement between Arroyo and the Sox not to trade him?)

I don't understand all the hype around Pena. He'd strike out 200 times a year if he played full time, and he's never shown any signs of improving his patience. He wasn't even a full time player on the Reds -- why would he suddenly become a star with the Red Sox?

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
Is Wells resigned to playing for the BoSox this year?  I don't like this trade for the Reds after all the hype around Pena.  Arroyo will never be better than a 3rd starter for a bad team.  He certainly has an affordable contract though.  (What happened to the gentleman's agreement between Arroyo and the Sox not to trade him?)

Wells rescinded his trade demand a week or two ago, and has said he'll probably play out this season then retire. The concern with the BoSox shouldn't be Wells wanting to pitch, it should be whether or not their guys can stay healthy. Schilling and Wakefield are 39, Wells is 42, and Beckett has well-known injury problems.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
Wells rescinded his trade demand a week or two ago, and has said he'll probably play out this season then retire.  The concern with the BoSox shouldn't be Wells wanting to pitch, it should be whether or not their guys can stay healthy.  Schilling and Wakefield are 39, Wells is 42, and Beckett has well-known injury problems.

Wakefield isn't much of a worry. Knuckleballers aren't stressing their arms much. But I would add Clement's patented 2nd half tailspin and Foulke's injury to the list of concerns.

What people that didn't follow the Red Sox from day to day don't realize is that Arroyo has been 'figured out' so to speak and it was entirely evident late last season and all of this Spring.

You sit on his curveball and people were beginning to mash. I hate to see him go because he's such a good kid, but this might be better for him aswell.

With all this being said, he did sign the home-town discount this offseason in hopes that it would persuade the Red Sox not to trade him, but with the surplus of starters the Red Sox had, and only Dustan Mohr and Juan Gonzalez as options to spell Nixon, this trade made too much sense.

I wish Bronson all the best, and to be honest think this is best for him. I wouldn't want to see him struggle in Boston next year, and facing a new batch of National League hitters will certainly pay dividends.

Awesome trade and not just because the Red Sox are behind it.

Looking over his splits, I didn't realize just how well he does against LHP's. This guy just mashes south paws, which is absolutely ideal for Nixon.

Imagine Coco, Wily Mo, and Trot all in the same outfield. I can already see Dan Shaugnessy with dollar signs in his eyes.

am i the only one who looks at this trade and thinks "Meh, not really a big deal on either side."? Arroyo got figured out last year, and Pena has been figured out for a while. He strikes out a whole bunch and when he hits, he does some damage. But knowing that Pena couldnt crack the starting lineup with the Reds speaks volumes for me.

What people that didn't follow the Red Sox from day to day don't realize is that Arroyo has been 'figured out' so to speak and it was entirely evident late last season and all of this Spring.

You sit on his curveball and people were beginning to mash.  I hate to see him go because he's such a good kid, but this might be better for him aswell. 

With all this being said, he did sign the home-town discount this offseason in hopes that it would persuade the Red Sox not to trade him, but with the surplus of starters the Red Sox had, and only Dustan Mohr and Juan Gonzalez as options to spell Nixon, this trade made too much sense.

I wish Bronson all the best, and to be honest think this is best for him.  I wouldn't want to see him struggle in Boston next year, and facing a new batch of National League hitters will certainly pay dividends.

Awesome trade and not just because the Red Sox are behind it.

Arroyo was better than Clement last season, he's 3 years younger than Clement, and he has a much cheaper contract than Clement. Factoring in salary, I would rather have Arroyo than Clement who definately didn't seem like the same guy after being hit in the head by that linedrive. If Arroyo was "figured out" so was Clement. By the way, Spring Training stats mean next to nothing.

Bronson Arroyo: 100 career ERA+

Matt Clement: 98 career ERA+

Meanwhile, Pena has a lot of upside. This definately wasn't a steal for the Red Sox though. This was a good trade for both teams.

It looks like the Reds will keep Dunn in LF and start Hatteberg at 1B now.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Looking over his splits, I didn't realize just how well he does against LHP's.  This guy just mashes south paws, which is absolutely ideal for Nixon.

Imagine Coco, Wily Mo, and Trot all in the same outfield.  I can already see Dan Shaugnessy with dollar signs in his eyes.

He also sucks ass on the road. Any idea if this guy is a pull hitter?

He also sucks ass on the road.  Any idea if this guy is a pull hitter?

This is from ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=6522

Hitting

Pena doesn't have to take a backseat to anyone's power. He can turn around fastballs with tape-measure results and is able to reach inside pitches more frequently after slightly backing off the plate. Pena, however, remains a raw product still bedeviled by breaking balls and does not wait on offspeed pitches. He can go through long stretches in which he struggles to make contact and he has little feel for working counts, though his patience improved as his exposure to major league pitching increased. He has also shown the ability to kill lefthanded pitching.

Sounds to me like he's a pull-hitter which would work well at Fenway.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
Arroyo was better than Clement last season, he's 3 years younger than Clement, and he has a much cheaper contract than Clement.  Factoring in salary, I would rather have Arroyo than Clement who definately didn't seem like the same guy after being hit in the head by that linedrive.  If Arroyo was "figured out" so was Clement.  By the way, Spring Training stats mean next to nothing.  Meanwhile, Pena has a lot of upside.  This definately wasn't a steal for the Red Sox though.  This was a good trade for both teams.

The part in bold is exactly why only Arroyo was going to get traded. If the Red Sox wanted to part with Clement in a deal like this, they'd have to agree that they'd be paying almost all of Clement's contract. They'd be shipping like $25 million to the Reds, because there's no way in Hell the Reds want part of that deal. No one does. The Red Sox traded the guy who was actually tradeable.

This trade make no sense for the Red Sox.  Why would they trade a pitcher for for an outfielder?  They already have Manny, cocco, and Trot Nixon in the outfield with Ortiz at DH.

It makes sense. The Red Sox had a glut of starting pitchers -- Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, Clement, Wells, Arroyo, and Papelbon.

Nixon is getting old (turning 32 on April 11th) and he will be a free agent after this season. Pena will be the Red Sox future starting right fielder. They will likely platoon Nixon and Pena in RF for now and may even try to trade Nixon sooner or later.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
Arroyo was better than Clement last season, he's 3 years younger than Clement, and he has a much cheaper contract than Clement.  Factoring in salary, I would rather have Arroyo than Clement who definately didn't seem like the same guy after being hit in the head by that linedrive.  If Arroyo was "figured out" so was Clement.  By the way, Spring Training stats mean next to nothing.

Bronson Arroyo:  100 career ERA+

Matt Clement:  98 career ERA+

Meanwhile, Pena has a lot of upside.  This definately wasn't a steal for the Red Sox though.  This was a good trade for both teams.

I don't really understand what you're saying. Everybody in the American League had Arroyo figured out, and he wasn't an effective option against lefties in the least.

I don't know who I'd rather have between the two, but its a moot point.

Spring Training stats mean nothing? They certainly shouldn't be weighted highly but it was clear that Arroyo's struggles late last season were not just 'bad starts' after watching him pitch this Spring.

Pena has an incredible amount of upside. More than Marte at a similar age and they gave up a player that wasn't perticularly needed.

The deal works for both teams but the Red Sox definitly got the better of the deal and with that being said acquired a player with no ceiling in terms of his potential.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:17 AM)
Pena has an incredible amount of upside.  More than Marte at a similar age and they gave up a player that wasn't perticularly needed.

More than Marte -- okay.

That's a compliment?

Ortiz and Ramirez will eventually come off contract -- you're gonna replace them with Pete Incaviglia II?

As for Arroyo -- if his st numbers confirm that he's a waste, that doesn't say much for Schilling... But it's different for him, I'm sure.