Game Thread 3/20: White Sox vs. Royals

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
LOL. You're kidding right. They hit one ball really hard and one ball kinda hard. In the thin air of AZ.

I'll just go out on a limb and assume your joking.

It's even more of a joke you're acting as if I'm questioning Felix Hernandez out there. What is the appropriate way of reacting to him, exactly? Is there a rule posted within Baseball Prospectus I've missed concerning 6 innings of work equaling major league success?

Anyone can have a good 6 innings.

Am I supposed to observe and continue believing, against primarily minor league talent, he's TEH AWESOME? I'm still not exactly sold on Logan, yet. If he continues pitching well through the end of spring training I may come around.

His first inning of work, with runners on base in a tie game, I notced Logan had trouble locating AJ's mit. This didn't appear to be a concern in previous outings. Why, you may ask? He's been called on to pitch leading off innings, not to relieve pitchers mid-inning.

Guillen needs to do two things: one, find him work early in games against legitimate major league talent; and two, place him in more tigh situations such as today. I'll be happy as hell if Logan succeeds.

Logan gave up two hard hit outs in his first inning, and definitely one "hang-whif em" as the final out. Lefthanders haven't appeared very deceived against him. I don't know where you constitute these concerns as "a joke."

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I can just picture flash when Rooney announced we won the world Series.

"Yeah they won, barely."

Somehow the connection is made between me expressing concern with Boone "6 innings in ST" Logan and not being satisfied with the World Series? Cmon Rock, I expect better from you.

Am I crazy to do this? Someone out there has to back me up, because if not, then I must be living on a seperate planet.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
It's even more of a joke you're acting as if I'm questioning Felix Hernandez out there. What is the appropriate way of reacting to him, exactly? Is there a rule posted within Baseball Prospectus I've missed concerning 6 innings of work equaling major league success?

Anyone can have a good 6 innings.

Am I supposed to observe and continue believing, against primarily minor league talent, he's TEH AWESOME? I'm still not exactly sold on Logan, yet. If he continues pitching well through the end of spring training I may come around.

His first inning of work, with runners on base in a tie game, I notced Logan had trouble locating AJ's mit. This didn't appear to be a concern in previous outings. Why, you may ask? He's been called on to pitch leading off innings, not to relieve pitchers mid-inning.

Guillen needs to do two things: one, find him work early in games against legitimate major league talent; and two, place him in more tighty situations such as today

Logan gave up two hard hit outs in his first inning, and definitely one "hang-whif em" as the final out. Lefthanders haven't appeared very deceived against him. I don't know where you constitute these concerns as "a joke."

Wow.

You said this, "After watching that inning, I'm more concerned with Boone than previous outings.

His outs are becoming harder hit. From not giving up a flyball (from what I've seen on TV) to several deep in a row, you wonder. And these aren't exactly against major league talent."

So your more concerned because he had one ball (the last) hit hard and another hit to the track in the thin air of arizona. He had trouble locating on TWO freaking batters and got outs anyway? Not being sold on Logan is one thing. Not being sold from one outing to the next because they hit TWO more balls hard this outing might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this board. And that is saying something. I can't believe you are serious.

Mercy.

Somehow the connection is made between me expressing concern with Boone "6 innings in ST" Logan and not being satisfied with the World Series? Cmon Rock, I expect better from you.

Am I crazy to do this? Someone out there has to back me up, because if not, then I must be living on a seperate planet.

I agree with you to some extent. Javier Lopez started out with a few scoreless innings before he got shellacked. I would like to see a few more strikeouts from Daniel Boone.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)

What do you want from the guy? He's doing what he's been asked to do. I don't see anybody giving him Mark Prior's former title of the messiah. It seems as if you're nitpicking at every little thing. You don't think Sox fans have questions about this guy? Of course we do.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)

I was joking dude.

You are a pessimist, and have a right to be. Its hard to argue with the kid's results however. He looks better than every other option we have tried at this point IMO.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
So your more concerned because he had one ball (the last) hit hard and another hit to the track in the thin air of arizona. He had trouble locating on TWO freaking batters and got outs anyway? Not being sold on Logan is one thing. Not being sold from one outing to the next because they hit TWO more balls hard this outing might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this board. And that is saying something. I can't believe you are serious.

Mercy.

First, I was never sold on Logan--and never will be this spring training unless Guillen finds him appropriate work. That should be consisted of relieving starters immediately after they depart-- when opposing teams' regulars remain in the lineup. Find Logan situations such as today where there are runners on base. Basically, situations where you'd expect failure, and anything more is to be regarded as a plus.

What makes those hard hit outs different from past appearances is the game situation. It was a tied game with runners on 1st/2nd base. His location was off, and thus, balls were hit harder/deeper. His second inning of work, the Royals last batter--a lefthander--hit a scorching line drive to Anderson. Sort of important in the scheme of things since Logan would essentially be our clubs LOOGY.

And remember, none of this has been against legitimate major league talent.

Most ridiculous thing you've ever heard? Sounds like a statement someone makes when they know they may be wrong, yet don't want to admit it.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Most ridiculous thing you've ever heard? Sounds like a statement someone makes when they know they may be wrong, yet don't want to admit it.

Man is it hard not to insult O'Reilly after that one....

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
First, I was never sold on Logan--and never will be this spring training unless Guillen finds him appropriate work. That should be consisted of relieving starters immediately after they depart-- when opposing teams' regulars remain in the lineup. Find Logan situations such as today where there are runners on base. Basically, situations where you'd expect failure, and anything more is to be regarded as a plus.

What makes those hard hit outs different from past appearances is the game situation. It was a tied game with runners on 1st/2nd base. His location was off, and thus, balls were hit harder/deeper. His second inning of work, the Royals last batter--a lefthander--hit a scorching line drive to Anderson. Sort of important in the scheme of things since Logan would essentially be our clubs LOOGY.

And remember, none of this has been against legitimate major league talent.

I would like to see him face better hitters also. But, He did face the meat of the As lineup in a game a bit back. He K'd Chavez. I want to see him be the first arm of the pen in a jam situation against the regulars.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
lol

yeah i tend to be a little dense at times...

No prob... just venting my frustration with sarcasm. The situation is not going to get better. KW is going to have to pull off a miracle. Most teams at this point think they're in the running for their division, so they'd be hesitant to trade off a good relief pitcher. We'd have to match up with one of the teams that is clearly out of it already... and I mean there is usually a good reason why they're out of it... poor pitching... so any good pitching they might have is probably young and off limits anyway. I've been up and down the rosters of all the teams, and it just doesn't look good. Kip Wells for the bullpen anyone?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
I was joking dude.

You are a pessimist, and have a right to be.  Its hard to argue with the kid's results however.  He looks better than every other option we have tried at this point IMO.

He has looked better than our other options. I agree with that.

Jphat's menstrual cycle began when I had the AUDACITY to say I'm more concerned with Logan now than previous outings. Which I accompanied with reasons suggesting the situation threw off his concentration.

How dare I!!!!