Game Thread 3/20: White Sox vs. Royals

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
First, I was never sold on Logan--and never will be this spring training unless Guillen finds him appropriate work. That should be consisted of relieving starters immediately after they depart-- when opposing teams' regulars remain in the lineup. Find Logan situations such as today where there are runners on base. Basically, situations where you'd expect failure, and anything more is to be regarded as a plus.

What makes those hard hit outs different from past appearances is the game situation. It was a tied game with runners on 1st/2nd base. His location was off, and thus, balls were hit harder/deeper. His second inning of work, the Royals last batter--a lefthander--hit a scorching line drive to Anderson. Sort of important in the scheme of things since Logan would essentially be our clubs LOOGY.

And remember, none of this has been against legitimate major league talent.

Most ridiculous thing you've ever heard? Sounds like a statement someone makes when they know they may be wrong, yet don't want to admit it.

He faced 3 of 5 Royals major leaguers. He's faced 7 of 8 Oakland regulars once this year. He has faced other major leaguers scattered in there.

If you aren't sold on him that's fine. I'm sure a lot of people don't and won't be. ANd it's very possible that he gets lit up in the bigs. But to say that someone should be concerned because this outing his control wasn't pinpoint, even though he didn't walk anybody (1 walk in 7.1 IP), and because they hit balls harder (2 of 5 balls hit hard) is beyond ridiculous. Be concerned because he has never pitched above A ball and is young. Be concerned for a real reason. Not something ridiculous like this.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
He faced 3 of 5 Royals major leaguers. He's faced 7 of 8 Oakland regulars once this year. He has faced other major leaguers scattered in there.

If you aren't sold on him that's fine. I'm sure a lot of people don't and won't be. ANd it's very possible that he gets lit up in the bigs. But to say that someone should be concerned because this outing his control wasn't pinpoint, even though he didn't walk anybody (1 walk in 7.1 IP), and because they hit balls harder (2 of 5 balls hit hard) is beyond ridiculous. Be concerned because he has never pitched above A ball and is young. Be concerned for a real reason. Not something ridiculous like this.

This is the third time I have to mention it--it's not that his control wasn't pinpoint alone, but that it occured with runners on base in a tie game situation. I specifically watched where AJ set his mit, and whether Boone hit his spots. He had trouble. Add this observation to several flyouts, I felt he showed noticeable difference in poise.

Now It's quite possible to overcome this--he could be nervous--but as I've attested to, Guillen will need to find him more work mirroring these situations. LOGGY's find work in circumstances such as today where one left-hander will need to be retired. He pulled through it, and if you believe it's alright because no runs scored that's fine with me. I won't begin crying and suggest 'it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever head.'

In addition, the AB's lefthanders today had off Logan--including the last out--lend me to AGAIN show concern. Not enough to completely dismiss him, but wonder how the hell he'll fare in the regular season--with 40,000 people in the stands--against David Ortiz or Travis Hafner.

Those other points you mentioned are more significant than mine. I never said today alone will sway my opinion.

Edited by Flash Tizzle