Whitesoxin' wants to know....

whitesoxin'

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Why does every teenager drink or smoke pot? What's so great about it?

Drinking is more dangerous than pot IMO. Whats great about it? If they arent doing it for the high, they are doing it to be cool or fit in. If you dont drink at a certain age, you will be socially outcast in some circles.

As far as smoking pot goes, it could be the same thing. Just not wanting to be "left out" or nerdy. Some kids do it because it just flat out feels good. There are more 25-45 year old pot smokers than many people realize. At any time in the corp workplace Im guessing a large percentage still dabble in smoking pot. Of course it is illegal, but with the 0 pot related deaths last year, who are they hurting anyway? Well thats my 2 cents.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
Drinking is more dangerous than pot IMO.  Whats great about it?  If they arent doing it for the high, they are doing it to be cool or fit in.  If you dont drink at a certain age, you will be socially outcast in some circles. 

As far as smoking pot goes, it could be the same thing.  Just not wanting to be "left out" or nerdy.  Some kids do it because it just flat out feels good.  There are more 25-45 year old pot smokers than many people realize.  At any time in the corp workplace Im guessing a large percentage still dabble in smoking pot.  Of course it is illegal, but with the 0 pot related deaths last year, who are they hurting anyway?  Well thats my 2 cents.

You obviously haven't seen the stoners that went to the fast food joint and ran over the girl on her tricycle. :crying

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
Drinking is more dangerous than pot IMO.  Whats great about it?  If they arent doing it for the high, they are doing it to be cool or fit in.  If you dont drink at a certain age, you will be socially outcast in some circles. 

As far as smoking pot goes, it could be the same thing.  Just not wanting to be "left out" or nerdy.  Some kids do it because it just flat out feels good.  There are more 25-45 year old pot smokers than many people realize.  At any time in the corp workplace Im guessing a large percentage still dabble in smoking pot.  Of course it is illegal, but with the 0 pot related deaths last year, who are they hurting anyway?  Well thats my 2 cents.

So how about the kid who was driving stoned and crashed into a tree and died from my school? That's not pot related?

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
So how about the kid who was driving stoned and crashed into a tree and died from my school? That's not pot related?

Show me the link for the cause. Alcohol is far more dangerous than Pot. You cant overdose on pot, you cant get as inebriated on pot, and the death count is ridiculously lop sided.

Annual American Deaths Caused by Drugs

TOBACCO ........................ 400,000

ALCOHOL ........................ 100,000

ALL LEGAL DRUGS ................ 20,000

CAFFEINE ....................... 2,000

ASPIRIN ........................ 500

MARIJUANA ...................... 0

----------------------------------------

Source: United States government...

National Institute on Drug Abuse,

Bureau of Mortality Statistics

heres a good link about the marijuana death count vs FDA approved pharmaceuticals

http://www.medicalmarijuanaprocon.org/pop/deathreports.htm

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Show me the link for the cause.  Alcohol is far more dangerous than Pot.  You cant overdose on pot, you cant get as inebriated on pot, and the death count is ridiculously lop sided.

This was a few years ago and they didn't put the cause of death in the article IIRC because he was a minor. And I wasn't wondering which drug was more dangerous, I was wondering why everyone does it. So Rock, when did you start smoking weed and why did you do it?

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/marijuan.htm

Edited by whitesoxin'

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
This was a few years ago and they didn't put the cause of death in the article IIRC because he was a minor. And I wasn't wondering which drug was more dangerous, I was wondering why everyone does it. So Rock, when did you start smoking weed and why did you do it?

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/marijuan.htm

thanks for the link supporting the fact that people have actually been arrested for an illegal substance, I was shocked to find that out!!!!!

I already answered your question, then you posed another one. Now you have reverted back to your original question, which I already answered. People try things for all sorts of different reasons. Do what you feel is right according to you.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
You obviously haven't seen the stoners that went to the fast food joint and ran over the girl on her tricycle.  :crying

Chappelle's spoof was hilarious.

"If your a 6 year old girl and you are high, don't ride your tricycle."

Oh, and I have never smoked weed in my life. Not ALL teenagers do it.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
Most teenagers try it, but I don't think most do it.

Personally, pot never did it for me...kinda just made me tired.  I'd much rather drink.

Just say no...dude!!

Some people love it, others hate it. I know alot of people who absolutley will not drink, and only tried it once, hated it and stopped.

The moral of the story, do what feels right to you. I get the feeling whitesoxin is tryin to find out why he feels the peer pressure to consume illegal substances to fit in at his High School. Well, some people call that peer pressure, and some times not giving in leaves you outside of the cool circle. I was one of the kids who did both, and I went on to be an honor student, had both athletic and academic scholarship offers, and I have turned out to be successful at a young age. I will leave you with this Wite. 90 percent of the "cool" kids I hung out with in HS are now 100 lbs heavier, 100 percent less successful and 100 percent less attractive. Where did "fitting in" get us? Nowhere really. You get out of life what you put into it. Do what feels right to you, and only you.

IN the kind words of Chef "There is a time for drugs and alcohol, and that time is college"

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
Why did this become it's own topic? And who made that name? Thanks for asking my permission..

It's a good topic that is why... and the mods and admins can do whatever they wish with a thread.

The thing is I'm not even tempted to smoke or drink whatsoever. I was just talking to my friend last night who was amazed that I have never felt the urge to do either. I was wondering if I was the only one, because up until this year most of the people I hung out with never did it, and now boom they are addicted to pot smoking everyday and on the weekends doing both. Even my close friend who is going to be a minister is becomming a stoner. I just wanted to see if it is that hard for everyone else to stay clean.

To be honest with you, I feel much safer being stoned than I do being drunk. I feel bad for your friend who died while driving stoned, but I have to admit that is the first I have ever heard of something like that.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
To be honest with you, I feel much safer being stoned than I do being drunk.  I feel bad for your friend who died while driving stoned, but I have to admit that is the first I have ever heard of something like that.

It could have just been a coincidence, which I'm hoping it to be because my friends drive around while smoking all the time.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
The thing is I'm not even tempted to smoke or drink whatsoever. I was just talking to my friend last night who was amazed that I have never felt the urge to do either. I was wondering if I was the only one, because up until this year most of the people I hung out with never did it, and now boom they are addicted to pot smoking everyday and on the weekends doing both. Even my close friend who is going to be a minister is becomming a stoner. I just wanted to see if it is that hard for everyone else to stay clean.

You have to realize, however, that there are many successful people who do both. In fortune 100 companies there are cocktail parties that would make a kegger look like a preschool class. In your teenage years, alot of your actions are either rebellion from your parents or a bit of self discovery. Part of your life seems to be knowing that drugs and alcohol have no part in your life at this moment. I would say knowing that part of you is one step in the right direction. The point is, nobody can tell you which way is right or wrong for you, only you can make that decision. If your friends want to experiement, so be it. But it has no bearing on your path, and the way that you want to be.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
Do what you feel is right according to you.

I'll agree with this but add one caveat - don't go out and drive a car after doing either one. There's no excuse for that kind of recklessness and stupidity.

That aside, no harm, no foul.