English Premier Soccer

Tough to compare Premireship clubs to MLB, so I'm not going to try. The loyalties are much more ingrained and the rivalries are much fiercer. Let's say you start with something easy, like Man U=Yankees. What would Man City then equal? The Mets? The Red Sox? A damn good case could be made for either point of view.

Let's try this one: Liverpool=Dodgers. Then we have Everton=Giants, I guess.

Let's tackle London. If Arsenal=Cardinals, then I guess Chelsea=Cubs (except for the part where they finally won). If Arsenal=Cubs (again, except for the winning part) that could mean Chelsea=Cardinals and Tottenham=White Sox. Actually, it's probably more like Tottenham=Cubs, Arsenal=Cards and Chelsea=White Sox, but since I've supported Tottenham for as long as I've followed English Football, I'd be ashamed to admit that.

I guess I tried anyway -- and failed, to boot.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)
Tough to compare Premireship clubs to MLB, so I'm not going to try.  The loyalties are much more ingrained and the rivalries are much fiercer.  Let's say you start with something easy, like Man U=Yankees.  What would Man City then equal?  The Mets?  The Red Sox?  A damn good case could be made for either point of view.

Let's try this one: Liverpool=Dodgers.  Then we have Everton=Giants, I guess. 

Let's tackle London.  If Arsenal=Cardinals, then I guess Chelsea=Cubs (except for the part where they finally won).  If Arsenal=Cubs (again, except for the winning part) that could mean Chelsea=Cardinals and Tottenham=White Sox.  Actually, it's probably more like Tottenham=Cubs, Arsenal=Cards and Chelsea=White Sox, but since I've supported Tottenham for as long as I've followed English Football, I'd be ashamed to admit that.

I guess I tried anyway -- and failed, to boot.

Who are the popular teams and why? Also, what are the most popular jerseys?

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

Most popular would have to be Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal. But things are different in the EPL. One thing's certain, though. Pick a club and stick with them. Don't choose, say, West Ham and give up on them when they go down it three years.

If you want to follow someone who is always going to be good, look at one of the three in the first sentence above. If you want to suffer a bit, support Aston Villa or Newcastle.

Go here and lurk for a little while. Or jump right in and ask around. They'll know more than most of us, I guarantee it.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 02:06 AM)
also why do players switch teams so quickly, is there a large free agency of smoe sort.

There really isn't a minor league set up as such, so clubs have to develop players and sell them to bigger clubs. There's also an extensive loan system. I can't really describe how the system works, but it's different than you're used to in MLB.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 07:10 PM)
Don't choose, say, West Ham and give up on them when they go down it three years. 

How dare you. :P

Seriously I think things are lookin pretty good on our end, we beat Man City this morning 2-1 to amke it into the FA Cup Semi Final. And I think we've got pretty cool colors in claret and blue as well. :)

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 08:06 AM)
also why do players switch teams so quickly, is there a large free agency of smoe sort.

Yes, there is free agency.

If a player is aged 21 or over, he can leave his team at the end of his contract with no compensation to be paid. We call this leaving on a "Bosman" which is the name of the player who got the rule put in place, by taking his team to the European court of arbitration.

This rule has put a strain on football clubs resources, as many rely on transfer fees to keep their finances stable - Players worth upwards of £20m can now leave for nothing, so they are sold for less than they are worth before their contracts run out.

Contracts are rarely longer than 4 years long, so the turnover of players is quite high, and players who stay with the same team for their entire career is almost a thing of the past.

There really isn't a minor league set up as such, so clubs have to develop players and sell them to bigger clubs. There's also an extensive loan system. I can't really describe how the system works, but it's different than you're used to in MLB.

Every team has an academy, and reserve team. This is where youngsters are trained and play games for up to 3 years. If they are good enough they are signed to professional contracts. Unfortunately (for them) most players at Premiership academies are not signed, so end up signing contracts with teams further down the leagues to get into the pro game.

Jimbo's Drinker - Here are my MLB comparisons for 5 or 6 teams..(Almost impossible to do accurately, but I'll try..)

Chelsea (London) - Used to be a mid market team who won an FA Cup now and again. Now they are the Yankees - They have more money than everybody else, they've "bought" the league two years running, and they have thousands of bandwagon fans. Everybody hates them.

Manchester Utd - Up until two years ago they were the hated Yankees. Chelsea came along and took that hono(u)r, so they are now the Boston Red Sox - A good team, with some great players, but they are not going to win the championship too often with Chelsea around. Their fans are also annoying.

Arsenal (London) - They win playing football the right way - Like them or hate them, they are great to watch. They also win a title now and again, despite not having the resources of Chelsea or Man Utd.

Play the game well + not the biggest budget + title winning potential = Arsenal are the White Sox.

Liverpool - Still the most successful team in English football history despite not winning the title for 15 years. It's difficult to compare them to a team. The number of titles they've won compares to the Yankees, but they've not won one for 15 years..They have good players, but never quite get it right. St Louis Cardinals.

Tottenham (London) - Haven't won the league for 45 years. Their fans think they are better than they actually are - some of them are beyond stupid. They have a good season now and again, but for a big club like Tottenham it's not enough - Cubs.

West Ham (London) - An up and coming team. They have lots of young players who are only going to get better. You never know whats going to happen in a West Ham game - they could score lots 4 or 5, but just as easily concede 4 or 5. Don't go to the toilet during a West Ham game, you'll miss something. They are the Cleveland Indians.

Charlton (London) My team, so I have to include them.. - A team with a very small budget, who rely on bargain signings and the occasional youth player to compete. No chance of winning a Premiership title, but do finish in the top half quite regularly. - Milwaukee Brewers.

If you've bothered to read this long post about a game you probably hate. Congratulations.

PM me and I'll put you in the "I read Credepopsup's long and boring soccer post, without falling asleep" club.

I'm happy Credepopsup came in to put things straight. I'm not happy he correctly correlated Spurs with the Cubs and the Arse with the White Sox. Oh, well if Spurs can hold off the hated ones and Bolton for the last Champions League place, that will be alright.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
I'm not happy he correctly correlated Spurs with the Cubs and the Arse with the White Sox.  Oh, well if Spurs can hold off the hated ones and Bolton for the last Champions League place, that will be alright.

Sorry about the Spurs-Cubs thing, but the similarites between the two clubs and sets of fans is uncanny.

It would be a great effort by Spurs to get 4th place, but I don't see them doing it. Arsenal are running into form and have a slightly easier schedule ahead of them.

April 22nd - Arsenal vs Tottenham could be the decider. It should be quite a game.

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
Sorry about the Spurs-Cubs thing, but the similarites between the two clubs and sets of fans is uncanny.

It would be a great effort by Spurs to get 4th place, but I don't see them doing it. Arsenal are running into form and have a slightly easier schedule ahead of them.

April 22nd - Arsenal vs Tottenham could be the decider. It should be quite a game.

I think im between Arsenal and Liverpool now, based on the fact I hate the yankees.

Premiership, smermiership. Why look when you have the Bhoys up North.

I follow Celtic in the Scottish Premership.

I have been watching some Bundesliga, some La Liga, and some Eriedeversie lately. Its interesting to watch the different styles of football. I dont have a favorite Premership team, I usually follow the Americans playing.

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)

No, you're right about Spurs=Cubs -- I just hate to admit it! As for Spurs holding on, I thought they would have faded a month ago. I'm hoping they can hang on. It's only eight more matches, what could possibly go wrong?

Bolton is by far my favorite EPL team, followed by Arsenal and Chelsea. I don't really pay attention to the location of the teams because I don't live in England lol. Jay Jay Okocha is my boy. Thats the only EPL jersey I have.

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:57 AM)
Yes, there is free agency.

If a player is aged 21 or over, he can leave his team at the end of his contract with no compensation to be paid. We call this leaving on a "Bosman" which is the name of the player who got the rule put in place, by taking his team to the European court of arbitration.

This rule has put a strain on football clubs resources, as many rely on transfer fees to keep their finances stable - Players worth upwards of £20m can now leave for nothing, so they are sold for less than they are worth before their contracts run out.

I read it - good post. Question: What are transfer fees? Is this a commission on top of the money made when one team sells a player to another? Why don't more teams trade players instead of selling them?

btw, I support Arsenal.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
Bolton is by far my favorite EPL team, followed by Arsenal and Chelsea. I don't really pay attention to the location of the teams because I don't live in England lol. Jay Jay Okocha is my boy. Thats the only EPL jersey I have.

I absolutely HATE how Bolton plays football, and so does 90% of England for that matter. Long balls to the striker, get as many free kicks as you can, but it pisses me off more that they're actually pretty good at it.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 07:39 AM)
I read it - good post.  Question:  What are transfer fees?  Is this a commission on top of the money made when one team sells a player to another?  Why don't more teams trade players instead of selling them?

btw, I support Arsenal.

Transfer fees is how much one team pays to another for a player. E.g Say Brian McBride gets bought by Chelsea from Fulham, and Chelsea would have to pay Fulham 5M pounds, and they still have to pay McBride's weekly wages as well.

Trades don't happen, because there's no salary cap and all of the big teams can just buy the players they want.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
I read it - good post.  Question:  What are transfer fees?  Is this a commission on top of the money made when one team sells a player to another?  Why don't more teams trade players instead of selling them?

Dbaho's pretty much covered it,

A transfer fee is simply the fee paid to acquire the player. There is no limit on a transfer fee, and the current record is £44m ($76.2m). There is no commission or anything like that.

Here's a list of some of the biggest transfer fees ever paid..

http://endlesssoccer.tripod.com/transfers/...d_transfers.htm

The amount paid comes down to the two teams in question negotiating until they are both happy - Many transfers fall through because of a difference of opinion on the value of a player.

I don't know why trades aren't more common. They do happen occasionally, but even then a fee is usually involved - ie. Team A gets a Player, Team B gets a player and cash. A straight swap of players is very rare.

I'd like to see trades become more popular, but money talks, and a football club that's in financial trouble (which is becoming increasingly common) can relieve some pressure by selling some players.

Edited by Credepopsup