Game Thread 3/21: White Sox vs. Padres

RME JICO

Im going to disagree with everyone and say that Thornton was a good pickup. I think the guy needs a small tweek. He basically sawed off the first three guys he faced. After the error he fell apart a bit, but before it, he looks as good as anyone. A little more coaching and he could be something. Logan is still better though.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
I was talking about 9-10 games in left like last year. Mack will play right when Dye needs a break.

And that would be fine. Quite simply, I thought Borchard would have been a better fit for this team on and off the field (I hate Gload's attitude). However, there's no point in really complaining about the 25th man on the team. I just hope we don't keep Thornton on the MLB roster just because of any ego issues with KW and Cooper. Let him go to the minors and work out the obvious problems he's having right now.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
I'd rather take Boone Logan than either of them. Really doesn't matter to me who we take though.

I'd actually feel comfortable with:

Jenks, Cotts, Politte, McCarthy, Logan and Lopez (as a Loogy).

Im going to disagree with everyone and say that Thornton was a good pickup.  I think the guy needs a small tweek.  He basically sawed off the first three guys he faced.  After the error he fell apart a bit, but before it, he looks as good as anyone.  A little more coaching and he could be something.  Logan is still better though.

I hope so but Cooper can't fix a Marte-esque mentality of falling apart on the mound when things go bad. If Thornton has that, Cooper won't be able to help him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
I hope so but Cooper can't fix a Marte-esque mentality of falling apart on the mound when things go bad.  If Thornton has that, Cooper won't be able to help him.

This is the first time he has appeared with this team. Im willing to give him another shot. The first three batters looked pretty helpless against him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
And that would be fine.  Quite simply, I thought Borchard would have been a better fit for this team on and off the field (I hate Gload's attitude).  However, there's no point in really complaining about the 25th man on the team.  I just hope we don't keep Thornton on the MLB roster just because of any ego issues with KW and Cooper.  Let him go to the minors and work out the obvious problems he's having right now.

Well you might want to get used to the idea, because I'm pretty sure KW is intent on keeping Thornton on the team for at least the first part of the season. I don't necessarily like it either (I would have been fine with with Lopez and Logan) but it looks like that's the way its going to be.

To be really honest though, i'm not worried about the 6th and 7th guys out of the bullpen, as in I don't think it will have a huge impact on the team.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
Losing 10 mph off his fastball didnt help.

The thing is, no one thought he really threw the 95 mph like it was reported. I knew a few people who saw him pitch in the A's system, and he was always in the low 90s. That was just a terrible trade though all around for the White Sox. Oh well....KW's made some great deals since then, so it's just interesting to think about some of his earlier moves.

So I take it Thorton didn't look too good?  Does he get out of the inning unscathed if Uribe doesn't make the error?

Yes, but he still pitched like absolute crap after the error...

Johnson K's.  1 out

Barfield doubles to the RF corner.

Greene flies out to Dye in RF.  Barfield tags to 3B.  2 outs.

Pitching change:  Matt Thornton relieves Jon Garland.

Giles grounds to Uribe.  Uribe with an error.  Barfield scores.  Giles safe at 1B.  6-5 Padres.

Piazza singles to RF.  Giles to 3B.

Leone hits a MONSTER 3-run homer to LF.  9-5 Padres.

Mirabelli walks.

Sledge walks.  Mirabelli to 2B.

Gonzalez lines a single down the LF line.  Mirabelli scores.  10-5 Padres.

Johnson grounds out to Crede.

Inning over, 10-5 Padres.

Edited by SSH2005

Alright then.  I wasn't gonna get excited one way or another based on what happened today.  So is his stuff as good as advertised?  How was his velocity?

Someone said that he was throwing his fastball consistently at 96 MPH. But he obviously doesn't have very good control because he threw one right down the cock to Justin Leone for the 3-run BOMB.

I don't think there's any mental issues with Thornton. One of the articles yesterday made note of how he would come out of a game and "feel" like he pitched well but yet he would have walked several batters or gave up some damage. This tells me that he's got the confidence, he just lacks the mechanics. He's throwing 96mph heat for balls yet feels that he's pitching the ball the way he's supposed to. That's mechanics and that can be fixed. If you put a bowl of candy in front of a 3 yr old they're going to eat the whole bowl without thinking twice, then wonder why in the hell they got a stomach ache. Whereas if the 3 yr old is told that you can't eat that bowl of candy and get away with it, he'll be good to go....changing mechanics, changing instinct and habit. Absolutely miserable analogy, but hopefully i got my point across.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Alright then.  I wasn't gonna get excited one way or another based on what happened today.  So is his stuff as good as advertised?  How was his velocity?

He sawed off the first three batters with inside fastballs. After that he had some control problems. He has an electric fastball with decent movement. The homer was a 94 MPH fastball that was down, just moved over the middle of the plate. I think his stuff looks good, but he obviously has some flaws reproducing his mechanics.