Game Thread 3/21: White Sox vs. Padres

RME JICO

Thornton has a good fastball, nice movement, and better control than I thought. He does need to fix his approach however. If he could throw a 96 mph fastball for first pitch strikes, then locate a few breaking balls, thats all we would need.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
I still wish Borchard would have made the team.  I trust him in the outfield more than I do Gload.

Borchard got his shot when Maggs went down. He couldnt hit the ball unless you told him it was coming down the middle of the plate, and then it was a 50/50 shot if he would make contact.

If was their poo vs our poo.

Blakely walks.

Sweeney walks. Blakely to 2B.

Valido pinch-hitting for Uribe and grounds to 3B. Force out at 2B. Valido safe at 1B. Blakely to 3B. 1 out.

Konerko with a 2-RBI double down the LF line. Blakely and Valido score. 10-7 Padres.

Wild pitch. Konerko to 3B.

Adam Ricks K's looking. 2 outs.

Andy Gonzalez walks. Runners at the corners.

Crede pops out to Gonzalez.

End of the 6th, 10-7 Padres.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
I still wish Borchard would have made the team.  I trust him in the outfield more than I do Gload.

I trust Mack out there more than either of them, and I think Ozuna can still play some corner outfield as well, can he not?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
I trust Mack out there more than either of them, and I think Ozuna can still play some corner outfield as well, can he not?

Ozuna can't play RF, and he was an adventure in LF. I guess I was hopeful that Mackowiak would be used primarily as the 3rd base back-up when we acquired him. Not a big deal though. I think Gload can be a consistent threat for off us the bench.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)

Mack will play almost all of the backup time available in the outfield. He is going to play A LOT. Then Ozuna will be in left and right occasionally, and he is actually decent out there. Gload is a much better hitter than Gload. Borch is better in the field, but he isn't exactly stellar out there. Gload is just that late bat off the bench.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Ozuna can't play RF, and he was an adventure in LF.  I guess I was hopeful that Mackowiak would be used primarily as the 3rd base back-up when we acquired him.  Not a big deal though.  I think Gload can be a consistent threat for off us the bench.

While Ozuna's range isn't all that spectacular, he makes the plays he needs to make and does a pretty solid job out there. I definitely wouldn't call him an adventure. Certainly not spectacular, but adequate for the 9-10 games he'll be out there when Mack isn't playing or when Mack is in another spot.

Josh Fields in at 3B, Robert Valido in at SS, Adam Ricks in RF, Gustavo Molina in at C

Pitching change: Javier Lopez relieves Matt Thornton.

Barfield K's. 1 out.

Ciriaco singles off of Anderson's glove in shallow CF.

Cust K's. 2 outs.

Gutierrez grounds out to Valido.

Inning over, 10-7 Padres.

1/3 of an inning and it seems like we are already calling a trade a failure were we lost a guy who was out of options? :huh

Did I miss something here? It sounds like he has good stuff, but needs to work on a few things. Doesn't that sound like one of our other pitchers last year? Do we really care if after 1 day he isn't throwing in good spots?

Maybe we can give him a chance to see if he improves?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
I'm not sure. Everyone wants a chance to 'fix' the 96-mph throwing lefty.

Fair enough.

I just feel safer with Lopez than Thornton. As bad as Lopez's career been, he has been very effective against lefties.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
While Ozuna's range isn't all that spectacular, he makes the plays he needs to make and does a pretty solid job out there. I definitely wouldn't call him an adventure. Certainly not spectacular, but adequate for the 9-10 games he'll be out there when Mack isn't playing or when Mack is in another spot.

I'm pretty sure I watched every game last season, and I don't remember Ozuna playing at all in RF. And as for Gload in the outfield.....I still have nightmares of him playing in RF at Wrigley.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
I'm pretty sure I watched every game last season, and I don't remember Ozuna playing at all in RF.  And as for Gload in the outfield.....I still have nightmares of him playing in RF at Wrigley.

he was out there for 1 game, but no balls came to him.

I'm pretty sure I watched every game last season, and I don't remember Ozuna playing at all in RF.  And as for Gload in the outfield.....I still have nightmares of him playing in RF at Wrigley.

Ozuna played RF in one game last season. He shouldn't be out there though because he doesn't have the arm for it, just like Gload.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)

I was talking about 9-10 games in left like last year. Mack will play right when Dye needs a break.