Williams, Cooper coveted Thornton

SSH2005

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Williams, Cooper coveted Thornton

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

March 20, 2006, 9:36 PM CST

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- The White Sox radically reshaped their bullpen Monday by acquiring 6-foot-6-inch left-handed reliever Matt Thornton from the Mariners for backup outfielder Joe Borchard.

The Sox likely will carry three left-handers in the bullpen on their Opening Day roster, with 21-year-old rookie Boone Logan making a strong bid to jump from Class A.

"He's got a good chance to go with us," manager Ozzie Guillen said after Logan pitched 12/3 perfect innings in the Sox's 6-5 win over the Royals on Monday.

And with Dustin Hermanson a strong candidate to start the season on the 15-day disabled list because of lower back problems, Brandon McCarthy will move to a late-inning role.

The Sox have so much confidence in Thornton to fill the middle-relief role that they no longer feel the need to deal for a right-handed reliever.

"I'm happy with what we have now," general manager Ken Williams said. "I know people will look at Matt's numbers and raise questions. But I've been through that drill before. We're used to it."

Thornton, 29, struck out 57 in 57 innings with the Mariners last season and possesses a fastball in the mid-90-m.p.h. range. But he walked 42 and has failed to fulfill the promise the Mariners had for him as a first-round selection in the 1998 amateur draft.

Thornton appeared briefly at Surprise Stadium before heading to Tucson. He will pitch Tuesday against San Diego at Tucson Electric Park and comes with high praise from several Sox officials.

"[Pitching coach] Don Cooper and I have had this conversation about Matt Thornton for a couple of years," Williams said. "And when the pitching coach tells you 'I want this guy,' and don't worry about his ability to throw strikes, and my scouts want the guy as well, I'm going to do everything I can to go get him."

Thornton throws a slider and changeup in addition to his powerful fastball. He attended Grand Valley State in Michigan on a basketball scholarship but had enough raw talent for the Mariners to give him a $925,000 signing bonus.

"The plan with Thornton, as I laid it out to him, is that we have a tremendous amount of confidence in this guy's ability, not unlike a lot of other guys we brought in here," Williams said. "It seems to work out, and I have a tremendous amount of confidence in Don Cooper. So if we can get [Thornton] into a longer role where he can use all of his pitches, gain his confidence back and throw strikes, everything else will take care of itself."

Carrying three left-handed relievers will help the Sox against the likes of Cleveland's Travis Hafner and Grady Sizemore, Minnesota's Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau and Detroit's Dmitri Young in American League Central play, manager Ozzie Guillen said.

Thornton is 1-6 with a 4.82 ERA in 74 major-league appearances with Seattle in 2004-05. He will earn $355,000 this season, so the trade represents a financial wash in 2005 for both clubs.

"[The Mariners] were a little disenchanted with where [Thornton] was, and [borchard] hadn't achieved all the things that we expected that he would when we signed him," Williams said. "And the good news for both of them is that it's not too late for either one."

Borchard, 27, never lived up to the billing as a 2000 first-round pick that received a $5.3 million bonus. Williams said he told Borchard he would try to trade him if there wasn't an open spot on the roster.

Borchard attracted interest this spring, but Florida wasn't willing to give up a player with the potential of Thornton.

"I'm fine with it," Borchard said. "It's one of those things that makes sense for both sides. Things just work out a certain way and they happen for a reason. I'm excited about a new opportunity, that's for sure."

I really hope Coop can help Thornton gain some control.

This was surprising to hear:

"[Pitching coach] Don Cooper and I have had this conversation about Matt Thornton for a couple of years," Williams said. "And when the pitching coach tells you 'I want this guy,' and don't worry about his ability to throw strikes, and my scouts want the guy as well, I'm going to do everything I can to go get him."

If Coop pulls this off....he is the man.

Why does everyone doubt this Don Cooper's ability? He has more success stories than anyone this side of Leo Mazzoni, and yet there are still the snide remarks about him. Does anyone really believe that we win the world series with out Cooper's reclaimation projects of Jose Contreras, Neal Cotts, Bobby Jenks, and Jon Garland? Heck for good measure you could even throw in Esteban Loiaza who Coop fixed, and then we traded to get the guy who started all 3 game ones for us in the playoffs. Don Cooper deserves the benefit of the doubt when he asks Kenny to get him someone, at least until he gets proven wrong a few times.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
Why does everyone doubt this Don Cooper's ability?  He has more success stories than anyone this side of Leo Mazzoni, and yet there are still the snide remarks about him.  Does anyone really believe that we win the world series with out Cooper's reclaimation projects of Jose Contreras, Neal Cotts, Bobby Jenks, and Jon Garland?  Heck for good measure you could even throw in Esteban Loiaza who Coop fixed, and then we traded to get the guy who started all 3 game ones for us in the playoffs.  Don Cooper deserves the benefit of the doubt when he asks Kenny to get him someone, at least until he gets proven wrong a few times.

Who is doubting Coop? I was just surprised to see that he was watching Thornton for years. He seems to make all pitchers better, especially with control, which bodes well for the Sox and Thornton.

I'm not doubting Coop at all.  I just wish he had a little more time than he has now to work with the guy.  It's gonna be interesting to see Thornton pitch today.

^^^

This Thornton guy is a virtual lock for our bullpen come opening day and Cooper doesn't have much time to try to fix his flaws. That's the main concern to me.

So what does Thornton throw besides the fastball?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Thornton throws a four-seam fastball, sinking fastball, slider and changeup. He's generally in the 93-98 mph range with a changeup at 88 mph.
Edited by SSH2005

I have faith in Cooper to improve any pitcher he handles based on his proven track record. However, it's one thing to work with a guy over the winter, it's another thing to work with him 12 days before the season starts.

The first lead Thortnon blows will have us all clamoring for Marte and Viz, which is sad. How does a bullpen go from a position of strength to the biggest weakness in a month?

At the top the bullpen still looks strong with Jenks and Cotts, but it's the middle guys that are looking real shaky right now for those 6th and 7th innings where the Sox are in a tight game.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley21.html

Cooper mulling role for Thornton

March 21, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Newly acquired pitcher Matt Thornton is scheduled to take the mound today for the White Sox, but how the left-hander fits into the bullpen mix has yet to be determined.

With reliever Dustin Hermanson weighing his baseball career because of ongoing back problems, the Sox are looking for a pitcher -- possibly two -- to step into the middle-relief role. Thornton could be the answer.

"Particularly with all the things I'm hearing from Dustin, the simplest thing is to move Brandon [McCarthy] toward the back of the bullpen and have somebody else in the front of the bullpen,'' general manager Ken Williams said. "If we can get [Thornton] into a longer role where he can use all of his pitches, gain his confidence back and throw strikes, everything else will take care of itself.''

Thornton, acquired Monday from the Seattle Mariners for outfielder Joe Borchard, caught the eye of Sox pitching coach Don Cooper a few years ago. Cooper wants to see where Thornton is, however, before mapping out his role.

"We still have some time left to determine what we are going to do,'' Cooper said. "Nothing has been decided. I'm going to wait and see what we've got.''

Cooper did say that rookie left-hander Boone Logan is still in the mix, and there's a chance both Logan and Thornton could break camp with the Sox if Hermanson is unable to answer the bell for Opening Day.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
The first lead Thortnon blows will have us all clamoring for Marte and Viz, which is sad.  How does a bullpen go from a position of strength to the biggest weakness in a month? 

At the top the bullpen still looks strong with Jenks and Cotts, but it's the middle guys that are looking real shaky right now for those 6th and 7th innings where the Sox are in a tight game.

We have 5 starters that could be the #1 on many other teams. They can afford to let the pen slip a little. Hopefully the team will not need the middle guys as often as last year due to the starters.

Marte and Viz blew their share of leads. I will not miss Viz or the "new" Marte. Marte was s*** last year and he was not the pitcher of old. Both had their issues and I trust KW to go and get someone if the team needs pen help.

From Scott Merkins mailbag on whitesox.com

The White sox obviously need bullpen help. I think that the only way to get a stronger bullpen is to trade because not that many of our bullpen candidates are doing so well. Do you think we need a trade? If so, for what player or players would we have to give up on the other side of the deal?

-- Austin, Wilmette

Austin, do I think the White Sox need a trade? Well, I guess it doesn't matter because they made one just hours before the mailbag was submitted. Matt Thornton is the latest addition to the left-handed relief competition, while Joe Borchard looks to be getting a Major League opportunity with Seattle.

Thornton has not exactly excelled since being taken with the 22nd pick in the 1998 First-Year Player Draft, posting a 1-6 career record with a 4.82 ERA in 74 appearances. But pitching coach Don Cooper told me Monday morning that he has followed this hurler for a couple of seasons, even looking at tape of him last year, and already sees one change that needs to be made with his mechanics. He seems excited to have Thornton as part of the staff.

With the Thornton trade, it looks as if the White Sox 25-man roster is all but set -- aside from Dustin Hermanson's back issue. If Hermanson starts the season on the disabled list, look for Cactus League-legend Boone Logan and Javier Lopez to compete for that final slot. The South Siders would then have three lefties and three righties out of the bullpen.

Remember, though, that in Mark Buehrle, Contreras, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland and Javier Vazquez, you have a starting rotation that expects to go at least seven innings -- not hopes to work seven innings. The White Sox starting pitchers led the American League with 1,074 innings pitched in 2005, with the four mentioned above combining for 890 1/3 innings. That sort of durability, even coming off a season filled with pressure-packed innings, means less wear and tear on the bullpen.

Believe it or not, I do find some solace in this being a guy Cooper himself has fingered as someone he'd want on his staff. Cooper has proven himself--for the reasons given above--and if he really thinks he can fix this guy, he merits that opportunity.

You can't teach a 95+MPH fastball, but, you can teach location. Hell, from everything I've heard, this Boone Logan kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn before someone fixed his mechanics--albeit an unconventional fixing--and that kid is practically a lock to come up North. Let's see what Cooper can do with this Thornton guy before we throw him under the bus.

I don't know what role this kid played in Seattle but there is a big difference between getting your "Shot" and going some place because they wanted you. It all comes down to confidence, being comfortable in your own skin on the mound. The Sox have had some success with take other teams cast-offs and making them work. Part of it is Coop and part of it is Ozzie's clubhouse. The good news is the Sox entered camp with question marks are around a left handed reliever, the will break camp with a few options. It is good to finally have a team in Chicago that is serious about winning. :gosox2:

Cubs? :huh

Hawks? :huh

Bulls? :huh

I'm not as worried as some others are about the bullpen. The Sox have five starters who are basically assured to go 6+ innings every five days, and assuming Politte, Cotts and Jenks can pitch near their 2005 level, we'll be fine. As for McCarthy, I won't be surprised if he falters a bit early in the season because of his new role. I'm confident he'll get comfortable as the year goes on.

Contreras's big problem was his control, with walk #'s similar to Thornton.  We saw what happened there.

Funny, The Score is playing a clip of Don Cooper and he said that Thornton has to throw more first pitch strikes to help cut down on his walks. Cooper said that Thornton's problem is very similar to what Contreras's was.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
Funny, The Score is playing a clip of Don Cooper and he said that Thornton has to throw more first pitch strikes to help cut down on his walks.  Cooper said that Thornton's problem is very similar to what Contreras's was.

I hope he didn't need Cooper to tell him that.