Just how Irish is your "Irish" name?

southsider2k5

My father in law is Mick. Short for Michael. He was born and raised in the US and has a heritage that goes back to Germany a long time ago.

My name is Kid, short for Kidwhoopinstein. It's Antarctican, on my sisters side. My parents though are from France and I'm from a Leper colony in the Indian Ocean. We met on MySpace.

Well they mentioned my first name in the article. My father's family is from County Cork. I remember being there and seeing a little restaurant with my last name on it. Pretty cool. This has nothing to do with the article, but still...

They made my great-great grandfather FlaSoxxSaemus change his name at Ellis Island. :angry:

:D

Seriously, my daughter's name is Ceili (pronounced 'kay-lee'), which is Irish Gaelic for 'dance.' My son's name is Cavan, which is Gaelic for 'handsome,' and is also the County my ancestors managed to get themselves booted from.

So their names are borrowed Irish words, although neither of them are traditional names.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
Seriously, my daughter's name is Ceili (pronounced 'kay-lee')...

Cool! My daughter and yours have the same name. Though mine is spelled "Kayleigh". Named after one of my favorite bands biggest hits. I know somebody is a fan of the band if I see the same spelling. I'm pretty sure there is no other name that uses so many different spellings. I know of 5 so far.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
Cool! My daughter and yours have the same name. Though mine is spelled "Kayleigh". Named after one of my favorite bands biggest hits. I know somebody is a fan of the band if I see the same spelling. I'm pretty sure there is no other name that uses so many different spellings. I know of 5 so far.

greed, spelling of that dang name is all over the map.

Everyone calls my poor kid see-lee and she spends like half her lief correcting them. She spends the other half of her life cursing her father for the name. :bang

Ceili's name is also inspired by a sonng, "Funky Ceili" by Black 47.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
Single worst album purchase I have ever made was Black 47.  Luckily it was a BMG 1 cent pick.  Still felt ripped off, though. :snr

Black 47 are forever a product of their time. They didn't know if they wanted to be traditional Irish folkies, rockers, or the Beastie Boyz, so they decided to try to be all three things simultaneously and it didn't work on a lot of cuts on that record. For Funky Ceili is an exception to that rule.

But, yeah, the beat box drum machine sounded pretty thin against electric guitars adn trad instruments back then and it sounds distinctly dated now.

Still, any good Irish neighborhood pub worth its salt had better have it on the jukebox though.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)

My daughter's name gets pronounced like that sometimes because of the spelling. Her name is Kali but it's pronounced to rhyme with "Sally".

We were at a doctor's office one time and the nurse mis-pronounced her name so badly we didn't recognize it until she finally said our last name. :o

I guess my first name is not Irish enough. Thank our Irish lucky charms we named our son Brendan or he wouldnt have any Irish heritage. :)

I agree with FlaSoxxJim on Black 47. They are not traditional but I do like their wierd sound. I also like the Fenians, the Pogues, and the the Larkin and Moran Brothers. They all put on a good show. Not all Irish music has to be some old man with a beatbox behind him, singing the rebel songs.

Edited by southsideirish71