The problem with a preemptive strike doctrine.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(samclemens @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
sorry i just dont trust north korean official statements. its all pure propaganda. i dont think they can reach the US with missiles. if someone can prove me wrong, i will tip my hat to them.

It is believed that either now or within a very short number of years (i.e. before Iran even gets the bomb) North Korea will have missiles with the capability to strike the west coast of the United States. They also are likely very close to having submarine-based launch capability through submarines and equipment purchased from Russia (with intermediary help of Rev. Moon), which could also launch nuclear strikes on the U.S. Reuters and Janes' reported that a few years ago.

We won't be the only ones to use it.

It's not like pre-emptive strikes against the U.S. are a novel concept. I seem to remember one occurring back in December of 1941.

Edited by WCSox

But an open doctrine of preemptive warfare is something that was not readily used in the past. Which is why the doctrine that we articulated in 2002 was so dangerous. When the big kid in the sandbox starts using it, it lets the smaller mean kids to start using it too.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
But an open doctrine of preemptive warfare is something that was not readily used in the past.

Most of Europe is still kicking itself for not launching pre-emptive strikes on Nazi Germany back in the '30s.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to wait for Iran to fulfill their promise of "wiping Israel off the face of the Earth" before the UN considers the idea of removing the Mullahs.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
Most of Europe is still kicking itself for not launching pre-emptive strikes on Nazi Germany back in the '30s.

And Britain is also pretty thankful that it didn't launch a preemptive strike against the U.S. in the late 20's before the London Naval treaty was signed. And the U.S. is pretty happy it didn't launch a preemptive strike against the Soviet Union.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
But an open doctrine of preemptive warfare is something that was not readily used in the past. Which is why the doctrine that we articulated in 2002 was so dangerous. When the big kid in the sandbox starts using it, it lets the smaller mean kids to start using it too.

Even the short goof that runs Korea has to know that any missle that comes from his little land will immediately mean that Korea is gone. I mean gone like there used to be a country known as North Korea, gone.

A nice 10 megaton weapon detonating over his house would probably wake him up.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
It's not like pre-emptive strikes against the U.S. are a novel concept.  I seem to remember one occurring back in December of 1941.

how dare you bring that up. Japan was just freedom fighting against United States and the evil, capitalist, white male oppressors.

duh

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
And the U.S. is pretty happy it didn't launch a preemptive strike against the Soviet Union.

Did the Kremlin fund Islamic terrorist attacks against the U.S. and promise to wipe a U.S. ally off the map in the infancy of its nuclear weapons program?

And Britain is also pretty thankful that it didn't launch a preemptive strike against the U.S. in the late 20's before the London Naval treaty was signed. 

Too bad the Brits didn't launch pre-emptive strikes against Japan and Italy, who later weaseled their way out of the treaty and became part of the Axis.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
Did the Kremlin fund Islamic terrorist attacks against the U.S. and promise to wipe a U.S. ally off the map in the infancy of its nuclear weapons program?

No, but the US did fund Islamic terrorist attacks against the Kremlin's interests in Afghanistan.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
No, but the US did fund Islamic terrorist attacks against the Kremlin's interests in Afghanistan.

Of course Russia funded terrorist attacks against the U.S., if we're willing to define terrorist widely enough. Those SAM's shooting down planes in North Vietnam weren't exactly made in Vietnamese factories. Those Mig 15's dueling with F-86's over North Korea weren't speaking Russian to their Korean ground controllers. Kruschev banging his shoe on the table at the U.N. shouting "We Will Bury You" wasn't exactly the greatest moment in diplomacy.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)

Sure, after the Soviets invaded Afghanistan in 1979 and caused a massive humanitarian disaster.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
And Islamoterrorism made that better how?

Well, it stopped the Soviets from slaughtering Arabs and destroying villages. Is that a good enough reason?

If you're not happy with the way that the Soviets were forced to withdraw from Afghanistan, would you have preferred that we sent American troops to wage a "proper" head-on war with the Soviets?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
No, I'm saying sending 67,000 tons of weapons a year during the 1980s to the same terrorists we're fighting against and then allowing a power vacuum to exist in Afghanistan from 1990 to 1994 does not help a humanitarian crisis.

You're right. We should've just let the Soviets impose their will on whomever they wanted.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
Nope, you're right. Supporting terrorists is clearly the right thing to do.

you are doing a lot of criticizing and complaining about our anti-soviet policy in afghanistan during the cold war, yet you have offered nothing that even resembles a solution. what, then, should we have done?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
Nope, you're right. Supporting terrorists is clearly the right thing to do.

More often than not, I'll support poor terrorists who live in shacks and bathe once a month over an imperialist, communist nation with nuclear weapons.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
It is believed that either now or within a very short number of years (i.e. before Iran even gets the bomb) North Korea will have missiles with the capability to strike the west coast of the United States.  They also are likely very close to having submarine-based launch capability through submarines and equipment purchased from Russia (with intermediary help of Rev. Moon), which could also launch nuclear strikes on the U.S.  Reuters and Janes' reported that a few years ago.

Glad I live in Chicago.