WBC

Buehrle>Wood

So, now that the inaugural event has passed, what do you see that can or needs to be improved? I've compiled a short list:

1. Switch around the brackets a little. The first rounds were fine, however, I would change the 2nd and championship round up. I'd take the 1st place teams from Pool A and D with the 2nd place teams from B and C. And then opposite for the opposite pool. For the championship, I would again switch it up. I'd have the first place team from pool 1 play the 2nd place team from pool 2. This avoids teams having to play each other two or three times in the tournament and makes for some more interesting baseball.

2. Change the pitch-count rules. They either need to be abolished or raised significantly.

3. Play some more games out of the country. This was clearly more cared about internationally, yet almost all the games were in the US.

4. Although I don't think it is needed as much as people say, a change of time-frame would not be hurt.

5. Play it next year. I know this idea is kind of out-there, but it can't hurt. The plans right now are every three years and eventually go every four. However, I would still like to see one next year. It took a while for evryone in the world to realize what was going on, so interest didn't really pick up until late in the tournament. By next year, MLB can work all the kinks out and make this a huge success. Then the 4 year plan can come into effect.

I wish more games were on TV. Most people dont get ESPN Deportes. I realize that it was kind of quick fix deal with the TV contract and ESPN had obligations to other things. Hell, put it on ESPN News and ESPN Classic.

get MLB Umpires, and the best Umps from the other leagues around the world

Hold the competition every 2 or 3 years instead of 4

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
I wish more games were on TV. Most people dont get ESPN Deportes. I realize that it was kind of quick fix deal with the TV contract and ESPN had obligations to other things. Hell, put it on ESPN News and ESPN Classic.

get MLB Umpires, and the best Umps from the other leagues around the world

Hold the competition every 2 or 3 years instead of 4

The TV thing is a simple fix. It wasn't showcased because ESPN couldn't contractually showcase it. MLB gets their s*** together earlier in 2008 for 2009 WBC, and practically every game will be aired live.

MLB took so long to finalize the schedule that they didn't get around to getting someone to carrry the games on TV until February. By that time ESPN already had signed contracts to air other events such as Women's softball, and a dumb tennis event. There's no doubt that ESPN would have rather aired the WBC, but they had to uphold their contract with the other operations.

ESPN Classic was a no-go because it didn't meet some requirement to be aired on the station. (I'm not sure what that requirement was, but I think I read that in Jayson Starks column this week.)

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
So, now that the inaugural event has passed, what do you see that can or needs to be improved? I've compiled a short list:

1. Switch around the brackets a little. The first rounds were fine, however, I would change the 2nd and championship round up. I'd take the 1st place teams from Pool A and D with the 2nd place teams from B and C. And then opposite for the opposite pool. For the championship, I would again switch it up. I'd have the first place team from pool 1 play the 2nd place team from pool 2. This avoids teams having to play each other two or three times in the tournament and makes for some more interesting baseball.

2. Change the pitch-count rules. They either need to be abolished or raised significantly.

3. Play some more games out of the country. This was clearly more cared about internationally, yet almost all the games were in the US.

4. Although I don't think it is needed as much as people say, a change of time-frame would not be hurt.

5. Play it next year. I know this idea is kind of out-there, but it can't hurt. The plans right now are every three years and eventually go every four. However, I would still like to see one next year. It took a while for evryone in the world to realize what was going on, so interest didn't really pick up until late in the tournament. By next year, MLB can work all the kinks out and make this a huge success. Then the 4 year plan can come into effect.

Those are excellent ideas and I agree with all of them