Blakely, Fields, Montero sent down

Guest JimH

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 07:50 AM)
Isn't Crede arbitration eligible in 2007 and 2008?

Yes. 2k5's almost certainly referring to any sort of long-term deal after that. Maybe even before that...if Fields is actually "Ready", Crede may very well find himself on the trading blocks, just because there is no chance we're going to sign him unless he switches agents.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Yes.  2k5's almost certainly referring to any sort of long-term deal after that.  Maybe even before that...if Fields is actually "Ready", Crede may very well find himself on the trading blocks, just because there is no chance we're going to sign him unless he switches agents.

Exactly. Crede is here at most until his arbit years are up. It might be sooner if KW can find a good deal to ship him out.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
Exactly.  Crede is here at most until his arbit years are up.  It might be sooner if KW can find a good deal to ship him out.

If Fields continues to struggle defensively (likely), and Crede's back holds up (possible), I think the Sox will try to stick with Crede and trade Fields.

But payroll is always an issue of course, as is the team situation. If the Sox are losing and looking to restructure a bit, Crede is likely to go. If the Sox keep winning and keep a higher payroll, I'd bet they make him a reasonable contract offer.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
If Fields continues to struggle defensively (likely), and Crede's back holds up (possible), I think the Sox will try to stick with Crede and trade Fields.

But payroll is always an issue of course, as is the team situation.  If the Sox are losing and looking to restructure a bit, Crede is likely to go.  If the Sox keep winning and keep a higher payroll, I'd bet they make him a reasonable contract offer.

It doesn't matter if they make him a reasonable contract offer if Scott Boras decides what a reasonable contract offer is. If Crede retains Boras as his agent, Boras will almost certainly advise Crede to not accept any long-term deals past his final year of arbitration eligibility without first testing the FA market to see if his price gets bumped up. That's what he does with everyone. And if they test the FA market once and can't find the big deal they want, they sign a 1 year deal with whoever will take them and try to hit the jackpot the next year (Millwood, Weaver).

That's Boras's obvious strategy; get to FA as fast as possible and then try to hit the jackpot then. His people simply don't sign long term deals without hitting the FA market, and they don't sacrifice FA years beforehand. In other words, if we hold onto Crede, he's almost certain to hit the FA market, and it'll take a Konerko-type-miracle for us to keep him then.

I really, really hope Darren can put together a hell of a season and make a major league roster somewhere. He's probably the funniest guy in baseball that I've been around, and he's extremely nice to everyone. It's nice to have him in the organization.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
It doesn't matter if they make him a reasonable contract offer if Scott Boras decides what a reasonable contract offer is.  If Crede retains Boras as his agent, Boras will almost certainly advise Crede to not accept any long-term deals past his final year of arbitration eligibility without first testing the FA market to see if his price gets bumped up.  That's what he does with everyone.  And if they test the FA market once and can't find the big deal they want, they sign a 1 year deal with whoever will take them and try to hit the jackpot the next year (Millwood, Weaver).

That's Boras's obvious strategy; get to FA as fast as possible and then try to hit the jackpot then.  His people simply don't sign long term deals without hitting the FA market, and they don't sacrifice FA years beforehand.  In other words, if we hold onto Crede, he's almost certain to hit the FA market, and it'll take a Konerko-type-miracle for us to keep him then.

yeah, but Crede has also made it clear that he dictates the final say with Boras. And thus far, we have avoided arbitration with him. No doubt Crede's price will be high, but I think the Boras factor is not as profound when the player himself is more involved in the process.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)

But payroll is always an issue of course, as is the team situation.  If the Sox are losing and looking to restructure a bit, Crede is likely to go.  If the Sox keep winning and keep a higher payroll, I'd bet they make him a reasonable contract offer.

If fields keeps progressing this year, its more feasible for us to get rid of crede and keep Fields. We need to start securing some funds to re-sign pitching especially MB. Not to mention, it appears Fields is almost as good of a hitter as Crede at this point, and he is still improving.

Blakely would be a good player to have on a major league roster some day, if he could learn to hit breaking balls better. The guy flat out rakes fastballs.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
yeah, but Crede has also made it clear that he dictates the final say with Boras.  And thus far, we have avoided arbitration with him.  No doubt Crede's price will be high, but I think the Boras factor is not as profound when the player himself is more involved in the process.

Avoiding arbitration with Crede is not the problem. The problem is the years after arbitration. And whether or not Crede has the final say, Boras still gives him advice about what is best for him financially, and that is seen through the Boras lens.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
If fields keeps progressing this year, its more feasible for us to get rid of crede and keep Fields.  We need to start securing some funds to re-sign pitching especially MB.  Not to mention, it appears Fields is almost as good of a hitter as Crede at this point, and he is still improving.

Blakely would be a good player to have on a major league roster some day, if he could learn to hit breaking balls better.  The guy flat out rakes fastballs.

I see what you are saying. And that is likely the path they will take. But I do think it depends on where we are at going into 2007, and again into 2008: are we looking post-season or re-structuring? How is crede's back? How is Fields' glove? I just don't think Fields is a shoe-in just yet.