Borchard likely to make Mariners' roster

SSH2005

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mari...arinotes22.html

M's Notebook: Borchard may make a lasting impression

By Bob Finnigan

Seattle Times staff reporter

PEORIA, Ariz. — If the situation plays out right, Joe Borchard will make the Mariners' opening-day roster.

The newly acquired outfielder, who made his Seattle debut as a late-game replacement in right field Tuesday, has a chance to stick with a solid performance in the remaining week and a half of camp.

In addition, the Mariners are likely to keep Borchard around for the first 10 days while Matt Lawton serves his suspension for last year's banned substance policy violation.

"If the Mariners want to, they'd have a better chance of getting an outfielder through waivers than a left-hander," said a scout, referring to pitcher Matt Thornton, dealt to the White Sox for Borchard. "But if you wait for 10 days, then waive him, after clubs have their 25-man rosters set to start the season, you'll have an even better chance of being able to get him through and keep him in the organization."

Another aspect is that Borchard, a switch-hitter, could play center field against tough left-handed pitchers, in place of Jeremy Reed. Reed and Lawton are left-handed hitters.

While Borchard told the media he had no preference among the three outfield spots, the former White Sox first-round pick told Hargrove he was most comfortable in right.

"I told him," Hargrove said, "that his playing opportunities in right field may be limited."

Ichiro, who is expected to arrive later tonight from Japan's win in the World Baseball Classic, is scheduled to play Thursday, if he can't talk his way into the lineup tonight against Kansas City in Surprise.

Talking about the Mariners' acquisition of Borchard and his struggles to make it in pro baseball, one scout said, "We've heard he's thought about going back to football."

The former Stanford quarterback, who chose baseball and a $5.3 million offer from the White Sox in 2000, admitted a love of football.

"I don't think you ever flush it out of you," said Borchard. "But at some point you make a commitment, which I did when I signed my contract. I am committed to baseball."

Borchard spoke of finding familiar faces in the Seattle organization, including ex-teammates Reed and Carl Everett.

But Borchard said he preferred not to address the idea — oft mentioned when scouts speak of him — that he was leaving behind some relationships in Chicago that did not go well for him.

"I don't want to say anything negative about my time there," he said. "The best thing to say is my time there had run its course. I'm excited to be here and I'm here to ... do my best. It's a clean slate and that's the best thing for me."

While Borchard told the media he had no preference among the three outfield spots, the former White Sox first-round pick told Hargrove he was most comfortable in right.

"I told him," Hargrove said, "that his playing opportunities in right field may be limited."

Ichiro, who is expected to arrive later tonight from Japan's win in the World Baseball Classic, is scheduled to play Thursday, if he can't talk his way into the lineup tonight against Kansas City in Surprise.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Borchard is going to have troubles hitting in Safeco..

I don't think Borchie will have any more trouble hitting at Safeco than he already has hitting anywhere. When Borchie hits a homer, he hits it a long way. His problem was always taking massive cuts at every pitch and not shortening his swing for contact. He looks like he has started to shorten his swing a bit but he still can't hit a breaking ball. I do think that Everett's power numbers are going to drop a ton at Safeco but that's not exactly a bold prediction.