Available Relievers

AddisonStSox

The thread designed to track relievers made available in the coming days.

Ricky Bottalico RHP

Rotoworld:

Orioles released RHP Ricky Bottalico.

Bottalico gave up 11 runs and 14 hits in five innings. If he wants to keep trying at age 36, he'll have to return to Triple-A for at least a little while.

Botallico's Stats

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottalico is old (36) and probably done but he's had more recent success than Thornton has. Hopefully, there will be some better relievers that get cut towards the end of ST. Cheat said that he was more afraid of Thornton being in our bullpen than Logan and he may be right. Logan looks like he consistently throws strikes, Thornton doesn't. Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
The thread designed to track relievers made available in the coming days.

Ricky Bottalico RHP

Rotoworld:

Botallico's Stats

severely declined K rate and increased hit rate are huge cautions, but if hermanson is gonna be out for a while this guy is probably worth a minor league deal, though i think tracey could be every bit as effective...either way they will just be mop up guys

Edited by daa84

Not that taking the odd man out for the Reds last bullpen job would be an upgrade over what the sox have, but here are some names: Danny Graves, Steve Karsay, Jason Davis or Andruw Brown.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/14157490.htm

Never mind My bad. I thought for some reason these guys were with the Reds. I knew Davis sounded familiar.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 07:46 PM)
Should we try another "Shingo" experiment with a different Japanese pitcher? Who's the pitcher that said he wanted to play with Iguchi?

Naoyuki shimizu and he is just an average pitcher in japan... his stuff is pretty mediocore... not worth looking into him.

Latest News  Mar. 23, 2006 - 8:00 pm et

Juan Cruz struck out the side in the ninth inning and picked up a relief victory Thursday against the Angels.

There's no room for him on the A's, but Cruz needs to be in the majors to start the season. He's allowed one unearned run and struck out 10 in 8 1/3 innings this spring. There's a good chance that Oakland will exchange him for a prospect prior to Opening Day.

Go for it, KW.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
The price will go down if he really wants to trade Cruz.  I'm not sure I even believe that's what Beane asked for.

Beane is a smart GM, I highly doubt thats what he asked for. He probably said something like "I really like Brian Anderson", which got mistaken for saying "Brian Anderson for Cruz"

What are Schoney and Scott Sullivan doing these days?

I think our bullpen troubles are overplayed. We should still be solid at the top with Jenks/Cotts/Politte, and I'm expecting BMac to perform at least adequately.

We can always pick up decent relievers at the trade deadline in July. It's not like we'll fall out of the race by then because our 5th best reliever isn't that good.

Brian Tallet held the Rays scoreless for two innings tonight and has yet to allow a run in 10 1/3 innings this spring.

There wasn't supposed to be any room for Tallet in the Toronto bullpen, but he's making a case. Should A.J. Burnett open the season on the DL, Tallet figures to be Scott Downs' replacement in the pen. The only issue is that the Jays would have to put him back on the 40-man roster.

Another lefty though, but he's not on the 40 man. Had a 4.07 ERA in AAA last season.

Nationals released LHP Valerio de los Santos.

De los Santos gave up 12 runs -- nine earned -- in seven innings. He shouldn't have much trouble landing another Triple-A contract, but he doesn't belong in the majors right now. Mar. 23 - 7:36 pm et

And yet another lefty. Hasn't had much success since 2002 though.

Zach Day turned in his best outing of the spring Thursday against the Diamondbacks, allowing one run and two hits in five innings.

Day's ERA had stood at 12.21. With Josh Fogg missing time due to a groin injury and Sunny Kim, who pitched in the WBC, not yet stretched out enough to pitch five innings, there's still an opportunity for Day to come away with the fifth spot in the Colorado rotation. He has the most upside in the group, though Kim is probably the best bet of the three for this year. Mar. 23 - 6:51 pm et

If we want a long reliever, this is the guy I want.

Reds sent RHP Jason Standridge outright to Triple-A Louisville.

Standridge has three days to decide whether to accept the assignment or become a free agent. Mar. 23 - 5:49 pm et

Meant to be worse than Thornton though.

Padres sent RHP Seth Etherton outright to Triple-A Portland.

The Royals opted not to take the Rule 5 pick back for $25,000. Etherton failed to make the Padres after giving up seven runs in 10 1/3 innings this spring. He could become a free agent if he'd like.

Could be a little interesting perhaps.

From Ken Rosenthal;

Teams scouring for left-handed bullpen help are monitoring the Giants, whose roster includes three lefty relievers — Jeff Fassero, Steve Kline and Jeff Fassero. The Braves, White Sox and A's are among the contenders that could stand to upgrade their left-handed relief corps.

Uhh but ya said Fassero twice there Ken. :bang

Any team that has 2 Jeff Fassero's on their roster isn't going very far.

Kline I'd take. But with Hermanson down and Jenks looking shaky we should be more concerned with finding a decent right handed option than a LOOGY.

Any team that has 2 Jeff Fassero's on their roster isn't going very far.

Kline I'd take. But with Hermanson down and Jenks looking shaky we should be more concerned with finding a decent right handed option than a LOOGY.

The third lefty pitcher Rosenthal meant to say is Jack Taschner.

But you are right. I think we should give Boone Logan a shot. Afterall, a LOOGY only needs to get one or two lefties out and we will also have Javier Lopez , who looks decent, as a fallback option at Charlotte. Logan actually throws strikes which is what Marte had a lot of trouble doing last season. Like you said, we need a right-handed long/middle relief guy to replace Hermanson (well, Thornton now) more than another lefty.

Also from the same article...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5439750

The A's are getting calls from other clubs on utility man Freddie Bynum, who has made outstanding plays in both the infield and outfield in Arizona. Bynum, who is out of minor-league options, is likely to be traded before Opening Day. A's right-handed reliever Juan Cruz also is drawing nibbles.
Edited by SSH2005

YASNY posted this in the "2006 MLB Catch-All Thread":

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...ack=1&cset=true

The Angels, according to several sources, are searching for a veteran left-handed hitting reserve player and would be willing to part with reliever Esteban Yan or Kevin Gregg in a trade.

I wouldn't mind Kevin Gregg (I'm not a big Yan fan) but the only "veteran left-handed hitting reserve player" we have is Ross Gload and I don't see us trading him now. Where's Timo when you need him? ;)

Edited by SSH2005