Available Relievers

AddisonStSox

From the Washington Post;

"There is a possibility that, should the Nationals decide to keep Ward, they could find a club that would take Tucker in a trade. Lefty Joey Eischen is the other most likely player to be traded, and that would open a spot on the roster for prospect lefty Bill Bray, the team's top pick in the 2004 draft out of William & Mary."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LAT

T(The Dodgers) trimmed the staff to 13 on Monday by sending left-handers Kelly Wunsch and Tim Hamulack and right-handers Jonathan Broxton and D.J. Houlton to triple-A Las Vegas.

Cutting Wunsch and Hamulack means the Dodgers will not carry a situational left-hander. The only left-handed reliever in camp is Hong-Chih Kuo, more suited for middle relief because his history of arm injuries makes the Dodgers reluctant to use him two or three days in a row.

Broxton, a power pitcher and top prospect, will be the closer at Las Vegas. He will pitch more than one inning on occasion to prepare for a middle-relief role with the Dodgers. Houlton, who was 6-9 with a 5.16 earned-run average as a rookie last season, will be the No. 2 starter in the Las Vegas rotation behind Chad Billingsley.

Non-roster invitees Aaron Sele and Brian Meadows have an outside chance to make the team, although there is no way both would. Sele has been a starter throughout his 13-year career and has pitched reasonably well this spring, posting a 4.32 ERA in 16 2/3 innings. Meadows, an eight-year veteran, has a 9.58 ERA in 10 1/3 innings.

Kuo and right-handed reliever Franquelis Osoria both will make the team if Sele and Meadows don't.

Neither one of them has had a good spring, but both could be options if desperate times occur.

Latest News  Mar. 28, 2006 - 11:22 pm et

A source told MLB.com that the Nationals are trying to trade Joey Eischen to open up a roster spot for left-hander Bill Bray.

It's like the Nationals learned nothing from last year, when they gave away a great deal of their pitching depth and had next to nothing left in September. Bray, a 2004 first-round pick, gave up six runs in 8 2/3 innings this spring. Maybe he's ready anyway, but the team would be better served by keeping him in reserve.

Source:  Nationals.mlb.com

Eischen would have been a great lefty to target, well, before Boone Logan became the greatest LOOGY ever of course. ;)

Eischen is old but he has been pretty solid since '01.....

Im sure Kenny is still looking hard for something.  It wouldnt be the worst thing to get a vet like Eischen and start Logan in AA....

Agreed, Eischen has been damn good since 2001. He's even cheap at $1.3 million for 2006. Just goes to show how stupid Bowden is. He loses his top setup man Luis Ayala for the season and is now looking to trade one of his better relievers? WTF? So stupid.

I think we could use a right-handed vet more than a lefty though. Javier Lopez isn't a stud or anything but he could be a decent LOOGY insurance plan at Charlotte. At least I hope so...

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
Eischen is old but he has been pretty solid since '01.....

Im sure Kenny is still looking hard for something.  It wouldnt be the worst thing to get a vet like Eischen and start Logan in AA....

I don't think there is any chance that they don't let Logan come north and give it a try after they told him that he made the team.

If there is a deal out there that Kenny cant pass up, (lets just say we could get Eischen for Rogo or something) then I really dont think its going to be a problem sending Boone to AAA, I really dont.

Do I think its going to happen? Probably not, and neither does Kenny, so I dont think its a issue.

Speaking of Rogowski, if he has any trade value I hope KW deals him. RockRaines has mentioned this before -- it's quite obvious that this dude will never see the field with the White Sox as long as Konerko, Thome, and Gload are here. Hell, even Mackowiak and Ozuna can play some 1B. Get something for Rogowski (hopefully a reliever) and let him get a better opportunity with another club.

From today's Baltimore Sun:

"Possible targets could include Detroit's Franklyn German, San Francisco's Tyler Walker, Pittsburgh's Ryan Vogelsong, Boston's Matt Ginter, Cleveland's Steve Karsay and the Los Angeles Angels' Kevin Gregg - all right-handers potentially available."

If the sox added someone, they'd likely have to have a track record with some current Sox players, as they could vouch for that players ability to help the sox. Vogelson [mackowiak], And Tyler Walker [Hermanson, AJ] fit that bill. If the sox had any 40 yr olds to trade to SF, Walker would be a decent pickup for Hermy's late inning role.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
From today's Baltimore Sun:

"Possible targets could include Detroit's Franklyn German, San Francisco's Tyler Walker, Pittsburgh's Ryan Vogelsong, Boston's Matt Ginter, Cleveland's Steve Karsay and the Los Angeles Angels' Kevin Gregg - all right-handers potentially available."

If the sox added someone, they'd likely have to have a track record with some current Sox players, as they could vouch for that players ability to help the sox. Vogelson [mackowiak], And Tyler Walker [Hermanson, AJ] fit that bill. If the sox had any 40 yr olds to trade to SF, Walker would be a decent pickup for Hermy's late inning role.

Hello, Hideo Nomo.

Latest News  Mar. 29, 2006 - 1:51 pm et

Marlins released RHP Kerry Ligtenberg.

A victim of the Todd Wellemeyer acquisition, apparently. Ligtenberg had pitched 8 2/3 scoreless innings before giving up three runs his last time out. That success should guarantee that he's not a free agent for long.

Latest News  Mar. 29, 2006 - 7:25 pm et

Danny Graves will be the last man in the Cleveland pen, manager Eric Wedge revealed today.

Jason Davis will be optioned to Triple-A. Steve Karsay can become a free agent since he isn't going to make the team. Graves shouldn't have any fantasy value at all.

Source:  Indians.mlb.com

What some of you guys were saying has turned out to be true ... lots of bullpen guys are available at the end of spring training.

Yep, I said it all along. It was inevitable with roster cuts and new guys replacing the old ones. Out with the old, in with the new.

Edited by SSH2005

Even as I am on the look out for arms to help the sox, I get the sneaky suspicion none of these guys mentioned are the answer.

I know no one is expecting these castoffs to help the sox more than Politte, Cotts or Jenks. And that these names are being thrown about in case of injuries these guys. But watching BMac, Logan and Thornton throw today, I came away feeling much better about how the sox bullpen is shaping up. BMac should be nasty coming from the pen with his 3 strong pitches. And if one of Logan or Thornton can pull a Vizcaino [eat innings,keep the sox in games and get a big out occasionally, all with an under 4.00 ERA] the sox should be in good shape.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
Even as I am on the look out for arms to help the sox, I get the sneaky suspicion none of these guys mentioned are the answer.

I know no one is expecting these castoffs to help the sox more than Politte, Cotts or Jenks. And that these names are being thrown about in case of injuries these guys. But watching BMac, Logan and Thornton throw today, I came away feeling much better about how the sox bullpen is shaping up. BMac should be nasty coming from the pen with his 3 strong pitches. And if one of Logan or Thornton can pull a Vizcaino [eat innings,keep the sox in games and get a big out occasionally, all with an under 4.00 ERA] the sox should be in good shape.

In the end, I think Williams, Hahn, and co. are thinking along those lines as well; so, my guess is this is all moot.

Thornton has been looking awfully better. Even when he was having those rough outings, he still appeared to make some nice pitches in some tough spots.

I'm ready to go.

Play ball.

LOL, more...

Latest News  Mar. 29, 2006 - 8:07 pm et

Dodgers released RHP Brian Meadows.

Meadows requested the move after learning that he had failed tomake the team. Limited for a time by a torn fingernail, he gave up 11 runs in 10 1/3 innings. He still should be free for long.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
What some of you guys were saying has turned out to be true ... lots of bullpen guys are available at the end of spring training.

The sox would be well served trying to get a project bullpen guy [like a Thornton with AAA options], and hope he can help if someone goes down rather than a veteran to start with the sox. Have the guy start off in AAA or even AA, converting a SP to reliever. I wonder if that's the plan for Sean Tracey, in AAA.

Brian Shackleford from the Reds got demoted to AAA today. He had a 2.43 ERA last season in about 29 games IIRC. I suggested him a while back when we were looking for lefties.

If you could get him cheaply, could be a good idea possibly.

More likely a righty such as Karsay would be a guy we'd go after though.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
In the end, I think Williams, Hahn, and co. are thinking along those lines as well; so, my guess is this is all moot.

Thornton has been looking awfully better.  Even when he was having those rough outings, he still appeared to make some nice pitches in some tough spots.

I'm ready to go.

Play ball.

No doubt. I'm ready to go as well.

I love this time of year--Waiting for opening day and seeing a player break out and surprise with improvement. I'm just glad the Sox don't need as many guys to have surprise, break out years

I still hope they bring in a few more guys for AAA, just in case. The bullpen can still be a big question mark and the more depth, the better.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, Reds scouts suspect that Ryan Wagner might be available through a trade.

Some team needs to go get him. As things stand now, it appears that the Reds are leaning toward carrying Mike Burns over him on their Opening Day roster.

I've always had a man crush on Wagner, but he probably doesnt fit with us right now. I'd suspect we'd rather sign a cheap guy than go after a potentially solid bullpen arm that costs a decent prospect in the process.

What would be a cheap prospect to offer for Wags, Rogowski?