Some shake-up to occur?

fathom

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 06:43 AM)
And what would that be?

That people would piss themselves over spring numbers and results when they don't mean a thing. Comparing Iguchi's spring to Cintron's is especially hilarious considering how much earlier Cintron prepared and the type of work he got in the WBC and then comes back and rakes. Tons of players from the WBC are doing the same thing. I love it.

That people would piss themselves over spring numbers and results when they don't mean a thing. Comparing Iguchi's spring to Cintron's is especially hilarious considering how much earlier Cintron prepared and the type of work he got in the WBC and then comes back and rakes. Tons of players from the WBC are doing the same thing. I love it.

I'm not too worried about Iguchi struggling and never even mentioned it. If he does suck, we have Cintron as a fallback plan. It's a good situation to have.

Jenks is a different story though. We are depending on him a lot now that our bullpen looks weaker. It's not like Jenks has had a stellar record of good control -- he walked 6.15 batters per 9 innings in the minors. I do think that we need more bullpen help not named Matt Thornton.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 06:50 AM)

Then maybe Iguchi should have played in the WBC, because he's been looking pretty awful most of the time.

I'm hopeful that he can pull it together soon, and he's had some decent at-bats that suggest he will, but if he can't I'd be more than happy to see Cintron out there at 2B.

He's done everything well since arriving from the WBC.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 06:54 AM)
I'm not too worried about Iguchi struggling and never even mentioned it.  If he does suck, we have Cintron as a fallback plan.  It's a good situation to have.

Jenks is a different story though.  We are depending on him a lot now that our bullpen looks weaker.  It's not like Jenks has had a stellar record of good control -- he walked 6.15 batters per 9 innings in the minors.  I do think that we need more bullpen help not named Matt Thornton.

Eh, I'd like him to throw more strikes sure, but he's doing the same thing he did in both big league camp and minor league camp last year. Walking folks and getting hit hard while his fastball got up to speed. It's not like this should be a real surprise.

I think we'd all like more dependable bullpen help, but the only way it's coming is through our minor league camp. And there isn't much there either.

Eh, I'd like him to throw more strikes sure, but he's doing the same thing he did in both big league camp and minor league camp last year. Walking folks and getting hit hard while his fastball got up to speed. It's not like this should be a real surprise.

I think we'd all like more dependable bullpen help, but the only way it's coming is through our minor league camp. And there isn't much there either.

I hope that KW doesn't just stick with Thornton so he doesn't risk losing him to waivers. I know that the cost for relievers is probably way too high right now. But if there's a better option when teams make their cuts, I hope KW picks him up and doesn't just hope that Thornton is already the answer.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 07:06 AM)
I hope that KW doesn't just stick with Thornton so he doesn't risk losing him to waivers.  I know that the cost for relievers is probably way too high right now.  But if there's a better option when teams make their cuts, I hope KW picks him up and doesn't just hope that Thornton is already the answer.

haha. he can be pretty stubborn at times.

And talking about some of the hitters. Look at some of those who were hot coming out of the spring last year and then look at what they did in the first month. Paulie raked in the spring, was hot at the end, and then was pretty terrible in April. Somewhat similar to both Aaron and Juan. You just can't trust spring stats at all. Once April 2 hits it is just so totally different. Being hot in numbers at the end of spring is no indication that you will hit well at the beginning of april.

Edited by jphat007

haha. he can be pretty stubborn at times.

And talking about some of the hitters. Look at some of those who were hot coming out of the spring last year and then look at what they did in the first month. Paulie raked in the spring, was hot at the end, and then was pretty terrible in April. Somewhat similar to both Aaron and Juan. You just can't trust spring stats at all. Once April 2 hits it is just so totally different. Being hot in numbers at the end of spring is no indication that you will hit well at the beginning of april.

Yeah, I'm not worried about our hitters at all. Even if someone like Iguchi falters, KW made sure to bring insurance here. I mean, how many teams have a Mackowiak or a Cintron to fall back on? Gload too. Pretty much, my only concern is the bullpen. Here's some more articles on Jenks...

Cotts is Guillen's go-to guy if Jenks struggles

Jenks out of ‘zone’

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 01:46 AM)
I don't know why he is considered to have the best stuff/be out best pitcher because he can hit triple digits.

Sorry, by best stuff I meant fastest fastball. When he's got it working, he's just as tough to hit as anyone else on our staff.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 07:06 AM)
I hope that KW doesn't just stick with Thornton so he doesn't risk losing him to waivers.  I know that the cost for relievers is probably way too high right now.  But if there's a better option when teams make their cuts, I hope KW picks him up and doesn't just hope that Thornton is already the answer.

If KW has been trying to acquire Thornton for 2 years, you can bet that he's not going to try and sneak him through waivers after two weeks. Matt's going north. Book it.

If KW has been trying to acquire Thornton for 2 years, you can bet that he's not going to try and sneak him through waivers after two weeks.  Matt's going north.  Book it.

I know, and it's unfortunate. If he's so intent on keeping Thornton on the roster like we both think he is, I would rather he also pick up a more reliable reliever, send Ozuna to Charlotte, and go with a 7-man bullpen. But that's not going to happen either.

Whoever said this was being done to light a fire under Jenks' ample behind, I have to agree. Jenks needs to get in shape and get his head back in the right place. But I also think that if Jenks fails to do that, Cotts is a pretty darn good closer option.

I'm so not worried about Thome.

And Gooch will find a stride at some point. I am not sure about the 2/6 think in the order, I think thats a tough call.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)

Jphat.....it's Ozzie making these moves, not us. The team is obviously concerned about Iguchi's performance so far.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 09:07 AM)
Exactly.  If Ozzie wasn't concerned about Iguchi's performance thus far, would he be moving him back to his old spot in the lineup?

Maybe, maybe not. Ozzie probably wants to try to get him some confidence, but it won't make a big difference. AJ hit in the low .200s last year in ST. The numbers just don't matter. I don't mind Ozzie moving Gooch up for a few games.

Gooch is like 5 for his last 17 or 18 or something like that. His swing and approach has definitely gotten better. Ozzie probably wants to try and get him more comfortable. But that has nothign to do with Cintron, who is a backup.

Didn't Iguchi have a so-so spring last year and then was the best Sox hitter in April?

I never liked the idea of Uribe hitting 2nd, to me Iguchi fits better as a 2 hitter.

As for Jenks and his 100 mile an hour fastball, he needs to throw strikes. We had a closer in Koch who threw hard but couldn't get people out because all he could throw was a fastball.

I seem to remember lots of people freaking out last year about Shingo being the closer and our bullpen was going to be the weakest part of the team. Spring Training numbers from last year meant nothing when the season actually started.

Didn't Iguchi have a so-so spring last year and then was the best Sox hitter in April?

I never liked the idea of Uribe hitting 2nd,  to me Iguchi fits better as a 2 hitter.

As for Jenks and his 100 mile an hour fastball,  he needs to throw strikes. We had a closer in Koch who threw hard but couldn't get people out because all he could throw was a fastball.

I seem to remember lots of people freaking out last year about Shingo being the closer and our bullpen was going to be the weakest part of the team.  Spring Training numbers from last year meant nothing when the season actually started.

Iguchi wasn't bad in ST last year (.275 / .329 / .362 / .691). He just showed no power.

Koch couldn't find the strike zone but the velocity on his fastball also dropped a ton (*cough* roids *cough*). I'm worried a lot more about Jenks' control than his velocity.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
It'll be Bobby until he shows he can't do it in the regular season.  Think Shingo of last year.

I don't think so because we have other serious options at this point and because I think Ozzie is really pissed at how out of shape Jenks showed up to camp. We'll probably start out the season with the "by commitee" approach we used, like last year when we had Hermanson, Cotts, and Marte all closing games for a brief stretch.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
I don't think so because we have other serious options at this point and because I think Ozzie is really pissed at how out of shape Jenks showed up to camp. We'll probably start out the season with the "by commitee" approach we used, like last year when we had Hermanson, Cotts, and Marte all closing games for a brief stretch.

We have other options? I don't really think that we do. If we have to make Cotts our closer, our bullpen gets significantly worse. Basically, if Jenks isn't good enough to close, he won't be good enough for the 8th inning.