Honel and Cotts

Bridgeport_Joe

Both bounced back pretty well from rough outings, eh?

Cotts: 6.1 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, (gulp) 12 K's.

Honel: 7 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 9 K's.

Honel's not long for high A ball--I bet he fills Cotts's spot when Neal gets promoted. The only real question is whether Cotts goes to Charlotte or Chicago.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Both bounced back pretty well from rough outings, eh?

Cotts: 6.1 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, (gulp) 12 K's.

Honel: 7 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 9 K's.

Honel's not long for high A ball--I bet he fills Cotts's spot when Neal gets promoted.  The only real question is whether Cotts goes to Charlotte or Chicago.

well unless we lose a few guys dont count on him coming to chicago anytime soon.............

well unless we lose a few guys dont count on him coming to chicago anytime soon.............

Not so sure. I could easily see a situation where they deal a lefty reliever (or a starter for that matter) and Cotts gets a call-up in a "if you succeed in the pen, you get a spot in the rotation in 2004"-type situation.

Cotts won't get a call up unless it is in Sept. The next starter to get called up will be Jon Rauch if anything happens. Also ahead of Cotts is Josh Stewart. I would like to see them use Neal in relief and see what happens.

I agree that if a spot in the rotation opens up, it goes to Rauch. But like I said, at this point, I would not be surprised to see Cotts called up to take a spot in the pen, especially if the departing pitcher is a lefty.

I agree that if a spot in the rotation opens up, it goes to Rauch.  But like I said, at this point, I would not be surprised to see Cotts called up to take a spot in the pen, especially if the departing pitcher is a lefty.

Yeah if Damaso or Kelly gets dealt, I think Cotts is a possibility. But I think Arnie Munoz would be the first lefty reliever to come up. He had an awful first couple of weeks at AAA, but has been lights out for the last 6 weeks. It would be interesting to say the least.

I think Ginter is the leading RH canditate to come up to the pen, over Almonte and everyone else.

In regards to Honel I've heard that his velocity is back up. For a while it had fallen to around 88 or so, but now its back up around 92-93.

Can't verify that, but I'll be looking for someone with a gun when I'm there in August.

I agree that if a spot in the rotation opens up, it goes to Rauch.  But like I said, at this point, I would not be surprised to see Cotts called up to take a spot in the pen, especially if the departing pitcher is a lefty.

Yeah if Damaso or Kelly gets dealt, I think Cotts is a possibility. But I think Arnie Munoz would be the first lefty reliever to come up. He had an awful first couple of weeks at AAA, but has been lights out for the last 6 weeks. It would be interesting to say the least.

I think Ginter is the leading RH canditate to come up to the pen, over Almonte and everyone else.

Damaso will become this teams closer. The Sox will bring up guys like Almonte, Munoz, and Ring this year if they have a white flag trade.

Of course as I write that damn article, they start winning, lol.

I still say this was probably a very very even trade. Only difference is with all our bullpen depth in the minors, I'd rather have a damn good starter, and thats what we got.

Koch has been really good since he found out he was pushing off the mound wrong. I got a ton of confidence in him, now we need to get these guys some save opps.

Man a rotation with those two will be a strikeout machine, they've struck out a combined 141 batters in 115 IP

I have some fears with Honel. Hes lost some speed on his pitches (what sox pitching prospect hasnt?)

Lets leave him in High A all year. Move him along slow... if he spends rest of teh year in High A. All of next year at AA and a full year at AAA he'd still be younger then jesus prior when he makes his ML debut.

There is absolutely no reason to rush him up (see Garland, Wright, Kip Wells... )

I have some fears with Honel. Hes lost some speed on his pitches (what sox pitching prospect hasnt?)

Lets leave him in High A  all year. Move him along slow... if he spends rest of teh year in High A. All of next year at AA and a full year at AAA he'd still be younger then jesus prior when he makes his ML debut.

There is absolutely no reason to rush him up (see Garland, Wright, Kip Wells... )

Reports are that Honels velocity is back up into the 90's which is very refreshing. I think he's back around 92 mph.

Lets leave him in High A  all year. Move him along slow... if he spends rest of teh year in High A. All of next year at AA and a full year at AAA he'd still be younger then jesus prior when he makes his ML debut.

Reports are that Honels velocity is back up into the 90's which is very refreshing. I think he's back around 92 mph.

Yea.. but he was touted as hitting 95ish. It always concerns me when HS pitchers lose velocity as they develop... its not a good sign. Sometimes it might not be anything... but often that speed never returns... esp with our young-uns.

I meant a White Sox rotation with Cotts and Honel, a few years from now.

Yea.. but he was touted as hitting 95ish. It always concerns me when HS pitchers lose velocity as they develop... its not a good sign. Sometimes it might not be anything... but often that speed never returns... esp with our young-uns.

Method, you are right in how Honel was touted, but the more I see guys, the more I think all of that is just hype. You rarely see a guy throw more than 92 these days, and most guys are at best 88-90. It seems that every high draft pick throws "mid-90's". I have yet to see more than 10 guys in the last 5-6 years at AA throw higher than 93.

Hell, I thought Ring was hyped to throw hard, yet he rarely breaks 90.

Method, you are right in how Honel was touted, but the more I see guys, the more I think all of that is just hype. You rarely see a guy throw more than 92 these days, and most guys are at best 88-90. It seems that every high draft pick throws "mid-90's". I have yet to see more than 10 guys in the last 5-6 years at AA throw higher than 93.

Were they good picks or bad? :huh:

That wasn't the point. I definitely like Honel as a pick but wonder how Ring will translate to the Majors. Will he have big success or will he just be a solid setup guy? Relievers tend to have short shelf lives. Only very few have long careers. I hope he is one of them.

But the point of my comment was just that it seems every prospect is hyped as throwing hard. Harder than they probably actually do.

That wasn't the point. I definitely like Honel as a pick but wonder how Ring will translate to the Majors. Will he have big success or will he just be a solid setup guy? Relievers tend to have short shelf lives. Only very few have long careers. I hope he is one of them.

But the point of my comment was just that it seems every prospect is hyped as throwing hard. Harder than they probably actually do.

Hi, I throw 102 mph, and have a wicked 12-6 curveball. My changeup is nasty, and I have a wicked slider and a mean-ass sinker. I can occassionally throw a good screwball, and my knuckler is devastating.

My name is witesoxfan.

Hi, I throw 102 mph, and have a wicked 12-6 curveball. My changeup is nasty, and I have a wicked slider and a mean-ass sinker. I can occassionally throw a good screwball, and my knuckler is devastating.

My name is witesoxfan.

only 102?

no thanks!

Guest hotsoxchick1

what do ya mean no way.. thats faster than what they are doing at the major level now... sign him up and throw him out on the mound......we need all the help we can get.......... :D

what do ya mean no way.. thats faster than what they are doing at the major level now... sign him up and throw him out on the mound......we need all the help we can get.......... :D

If we sign him.... he'll lose 8-10 on his Fastball... and it would move in a straight line.

He would also lose any control or command of his pitches he possessed... that us assuming his labrum holds together while signing the contract...