no ties between al qaeda and saddam?

samclemens

So it's never been any sort of secret at all that there were contacts between Iraq and Al Qaeda in the mid 90's. The 9/11 commission said so bluntly. But nothing at all ever came of those contacts, and none of the documents there say anything beyond that.

The staff report said that bin Laden "explored possible cooperation with Iraq" while in Sudan through 1996, but that "Iraq apparently never responded" to a bin Laden request for help in 1994. The commission cited reports of contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda after bin Laden went to Afghanistan in 1996, adding, "but they do not appear to have resulted in a collaborative relationship. Two senior bin Laden associates have adamantly denied that any ties existed between al Qaeda and Iraq. We have no credible evidence that Iraq and al Qaeda cooperated on attacks against the United States."

In fact, the last document ABC cites sure seems to me to suggest that Iraq was actually concerned in 2002 that Al Qaeda folks had entered their country, and were trying to track them down (i.e. searching hotels, etc.) Not the sort of stuff you do if you have a friendly relationship.

I think the point the Cheat was trying to make is that if these documents are supposed to be the basis for attacking Iraq, since some sort of Iraqi Gov't functionary met with some lieutenant of Bin Laden's, maybe we should have attacked ourselves, since a US Gov't functionary met with Saddam.

These documents prove little, if anything.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
looks like you would have preferred the US to side with Iran in the Iran-Iraq war. why is that? your point is...

You are aware that, despite our official claim of neutrality, we did in fact send arms to Iran as well as Iraq during the conflict? Specifically 1985-1986. Got Reagan in some hot water. . . not ringing any bells?

Guess Reagan isn't the only one who can claim, "I don't recall." :rolly