Guillen questions Jenks' regimen

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Guillen questions Jenks' regimen

Iguchi moves back to No. 2 spot; Podsednik returns

By Robert Falkoff / MLB.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Bobby Jenks' unsettling March continued Thursday when manager Ozzie Guillen questioned the conditioning level of Jenks upon reporting to Spring Training.

Following another subpar outing by Jenks on Wednesday, Guillen let Jenks know that basking in the glow of last year's late-season and playoff accomplishments won't do.

"I told him, 'When you're fat and you're good, you're a strong guy. But when you're fat and you're [bad], you're fat'," Guillen said.

Guillen's point is that Jenks has a target on his back after last year's rousing success and needs to react accordingly. That means coming back in 2006 even more determined to show that his 2005 finishing kick wasn't akin to a one-shot wonder.

"There's no excuse for anybody in baseball to show up out of shape," Guillen said. "When you show up out of shape, you're ruining 25 guys with this uniform. You're not ruining myself and you. You're ruining the teammates who come in shape. He understands."

Through Wednesday, Jenks had a 7.88 ERA in eight innings. He had walked eight, fanned two and allowed a .321 opponents batting average. Guillen used Neal Cotts in the ninth inning on Wednesday while setting up a contingency closer plan in case Jenks continues to falter.

Jenks did not accompany the White Sox to Surprise on Thursday for their game against the Rangers.

"I don't care what you did last year," Guillen said. "I care what you do this year. I told him that a lot of people forget you were on the mound in the last game of the World Series. People are going to remember the four runs you gave up [Wednesday]. It's every day. That's what makes this game so special.

"I never will criticize my players about performance, because I fail a lot. My coaching staff fails a lot. But the problem about Bobby is that he came [into camp] out of shape."

Guillen made it clear his latest message to Jenks is from the tough love department.

"I love this kid," Guillen said. "He's a great kid. He's got a great chance to be awesome."

Two slot: As anticipated, Guillen moved Tadahito Iguchi to the No. 2 slot in the batting order on Thursday in hopes of helping him break out of a slump.

Although Guillen likes what Juan Uribe can do in the No. 2 hole, the overall good of the ballclub comes first and the White Sox need for Iguchi to be a big part of the offensive equation. Whether Iguchi stays in the No. 2 slot for the start of the regular season depends on how he handles the role during the remainder of Spring Training. Once the lineup is established for Opening Day, Guillen wants to keep it constant. Iguchi was 1-for-5 with a double and two RBIs on Thursday.

"If Iguchi is batting second on Opening Day, Iguchi is going to be batting second for the rest of the year," Guillen said.

Podsednik returns: Scott Podsednik didn't waste any time reintroducing himself to the Cactus League. Making his first Cactus League start since March 6 because of a sore left shoulder, Podsednik led off Thursday's game with a booming triple off the top of the right-field wall and finished 3-for-4.

"This kid can do a lot of things for us and make things happen," Guillen said. "When Pods is in the game and gets on base, it recharges the batteries of everyone."

Around the horn: Javier Vazquez started on Thursday in a Triple-A game versus the Diamondbacks. Vazquez worked seven innings, allowing three hits and one earned run. Vazquez fanned six and didn't issue a walk. ... Newly acquired Matt Thornton pitched two innings in the Triple-A game, allowing five hits and three earned runs. All the damage came in Thornton's second inning. ... DH Jim Thome got in eight plate appearances in a Double-A game against the D-Backs on Thursday, Thome, who has had a sore left hamstring, went 2-for-6 with a home run. ... Hideo Nomo allowed three hits and one run in his two-inning start against the Rangers. Nomo might give himself an outside shot to make the club as a long reliever if he flourishes the remainder of Spring Training.

In the minor league game today -- Vazquez was a stud, Thornton got shellacked again, and Thome homered. Nomo may have a shot at a bullpen spot. Sounds to me like the Sox are rethinking Thornton in the bullpen. At least I hope they are. Although Nomo isn't the answer either, IMO.

Also at the link above, they have a couple videos...

• Javier Vazquez speaks with MLB.com: 350K

• Bobby Jenks talks to MLB.com: 350K

Edited by SSH2005

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comment on Hideo Nomo. The last 10 days will be interesting to say the least.

This guy Thornton will be the last guy on the pitching staff. They will work with him from now until the end of April at least because they have wanted this guy and it will take time. I do not see him pitching in any situations other than blowouts, preferably only if the Sox are losing, but Cooper and Kusnyer will work him hard. Frankly I am not concerned about his results these next 10 days, they are trying to fix mechanical things.

Since KW and Cooper and Guillen like this guy and he's out of options, I highly doubt they put him thru waivers, at least for a while.

We at SoxTalk might not like this scenario but IMO this is how it's gonna be.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
Interesting comment on Hideo Nomo.  The last 10 days will be interesting to say the least.

This guy Thornton will be the last guy on the pitching staff.  They will work with him from now until the end of April at least because they have wanted this guy and it will take time.  I do not see him pitching in any situations other than blowouts, preferably only if the Sox are losing, but Cooper and Kusnyer will work him hard.  Frankly I am not concerned about his results these next 10 days, they are trying to fix mechanical things.

Since KW and Cooper and Guillen like this guy and he's out of options, I highly doubt they put him thru waivers, at least for a while.

We at SoxTalk might not like this scenario but IMO this is how it's gonna be.

I can see it now, Thornton will be our Kevin Walker this year. I just dont see why they cant have him work his issues in AAA.

Because he is out of options and he would have to clear waivers to be sent down to Charlotte. Another team could claim him. He is virtually guaranteed a spot in our bullpen because of this, no matter how unprepared he is for the season. This is the main reason it was a mistake to acquire him in the first place, IMO.

Edited by SSH2005

I can see it now, Thornton will be our Kevin Walker this year. I just dont see why they cant have him work his issues in AAA.

Well, the reason is he's out of options. That's what the swap was, two guys out of options, Borchard for Thornton.

So the White Sox risk losing him if they try to send him down. If they get into the regular season and he's really bad, they may try to get him through.

However, I think they'll give him time, have him work with Cooper every day, etc.

Especially since they've liked this guy for two years.

Doesn't Ozzie know that spring training records, statistics and outings are meaningless?

Well, I'd contend their mostly meaningless, but you'd at least like to see the velocity and control there for your pitchers. Hitters take longer to get into the groove, this is well known and major reason it's suggested we take their results with a grain of salt, but this time of year pitchers should be working on getting their pitchers over and increasing their velocity--I really don't care if they give up a few hits in the process. However, Jenks has shown that he's not only lost velocity, but that he can't throw his curveball for a consistent strike.

I can't complain about the Iguchi situation, I've wanted him at 2nd all offseason. If Ozzie wants to use some spring training stats to justify this one, hell, I'm not going to say otherwise ;)

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
This is the main reason it was a mistake to acquire him in the first place, IMO.

I'd rather have an out-of-options relief pitcher than an out-of-options outfielder. We need another lefty in the 'pen a lot more than we need another utility outfielder.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
But Jphat told me that Jenks wasn't fat....he just came in with more muscle, and that no one should be worried about him?

I said that Allen Thomas said that he put on muscle in the offseason. That's what Ozzie said early on too. When Ozzie says he is out of shape that means that he didn't lose as much weight as Ozzie wanted him to. He did the wrong type of training. That's what Allen Thomas said as well.

We shouldn't be worried about him. He hasn't pitched a meaningful inning yet this year. I don't think Ozzie is worried about him. I think Ozzie is trying to make sure he doesn't get too big headed. That's what all of this is about.

But I don't know why I'm telling you that. You are going to worry about everything no matter what. And the first time Jenks has a bad outing you'll be right there to point it out. You can worry as much as you want to. Piss your pants after every ST game for the next week and a half. Doesn't matter to me.

BTW

Pods won't be ready for opening day.

Good call on that. :lolhitting

Edited by jphat007

With Hermy being out and no one to really give Jenks a battle for the closer spot, Ozzie is looking for ways to keep him motivated and not let him rest on his 2005 accomplishments. Unless his arm falls off, or there is a deal in the works, Jenks is who we're gonna see in the 9th most of the time.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 07:46 PM)
i cant believe im saying this, but trading joe borchard was a bad idea here.  at least gload is showing some sings of life.  we are going to run a terrible reliever out there for no other reason than because he throws 96 and has no options left.

Um, because we're desperate for another healthy reliever? I agree that Thornton sucks, but at least he might be useful for mop-up duty. When was Borchard, who is also out of options, going to be used?

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 09:46 PM)
i cant believe im saying this, but trading joe borchard was a bad idea here.  at least gload is showing some sings of life.  we are going to run a terrible reliever out there for no other reason than because he throws 96 and has no options left.

Got any better ideas?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
I believe Jenks did come to camp out of shape, however its something that can/will be fixed. He came to camp with extra weight, and I would hope that with him getting a good amount of action in spring, he should be a respectable weight by the 2nd week of the season.

However, not a good way to start of his sophomore season.

I agree with this. Hopefully all the talk about his weight will motivate him even more to get it down and keep it under control.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
I agree with this.  Hopefully all the talk about his weight will motivate him even more to get it down and keep it under control.

Ditto.

I think oz is sending a message this week that it's time to get serious - calling out Jenks, sending Iguchi to the 2 hole, leaving Thome in Tucson to get extra AB's.

Time to cinch it up and get ready for the season.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Ditto.

I think oz is sending a message this week that it's time to get serious - calling out Jenks, sending Iguchi to the 2 hole, leaving Thome in Tucson to get extra AB's.

Time to cinch it up and get ready for the season.

ozzie knows exactly what he's doing. although i often find myself questioning some of his in-game management moves, he's a master of motivation.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
  This is the main reason it was a mistake to acquire him in the first place, IMO.

Whatever Jabroni. Is it better to bank on a chance of this guy making the team, or Joe Borchard? They are both as worthless as s***, we just needed pitching more.

Edited by RockRaines

Whatever Jabroni.  Is it better to bank on a chance of this guy making the team, or Joe Borchard?  They are both as worthless as s***, we just needed pitching more.

Both are worthless, that is my point. I'd rather see us lose Borchard for nothing than see Thornton blow games for us. This guy may earn a roster spot just because he's out of options, no matter how bad he is. Adding Thornton could actually hurt us more than help us just by the fact that he might pitch in meaningful games as opposed to being at Charlotte and working on his control or not being on the team at all. If better relief options become available during roster cuts, I hope KW jumps on them and doesn't keep Thornton just because he is out of options. That was my whole point.

This guy is so inconsistent it's scary...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Javier Vazquez threw seven innings of three-hit ball against Arizona's Triple-A team in Tucson. Left-hander Matt Thornton pitched a perfect inning before getting tagged for three runs on five hits in his second inning. … Against Arizona's Double-A team, designated hitter Jim Thome went 2-for-6 with a solo home run and two walks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5436738

The Mariners' acquisition of outfielder Joe Borchard from the White Sox for left-handed reliever Matt Thornton is not without intrigue, though it seems to be a classic exchange of disappointing players who are out of minor-league options.

Borchard, whose power remains captivating to some scouts, could give the Mariners a right-handed alternative to Jeremy Reed in center field. Thornton, meanwhile, is a hard thrower, but considered "soft" by many scouts and executives.

Edited by SSH2005

Thornton was never going to come in here and set the world on fire straightaway. Are there better relief options out there? Yeah, no doubt. But if KW and Don Cooper think they can fix this guy, I'm going to believe them, considering their track record for pitchers over the past 12 months.

And considering Hermy's going to start on the DL, we need all the pitchers we can get right now. That's why the likes of Thornton, Javier Lopez and Boone Logan are going to be on this 25 man roster, and it shows the lack of good left handed relievers in baseball today.

Thornton was never going to come in here and set the world on fire straightaway. Are there better relief options out there? Yeah, no doubt. But if KW and Don Cooper think they can fix this guy, I'm going to believe them, considering their track record for pitchers over the past 12 months.

And considering Hermy's going to start on the DL, we need all the pitchers we can get right now. That's why the likes of Thornton, Javier Lopez and Boone Logan are going to be on this 25 man roster, and it shows the lack of good left handed relievers in baseball today.

I don't have much of a problem with Logan and/or Lopez. Both would only be used as LOOGY's and face a few lefties per outing and they actually appear to throw strikes.