Guillen questions Jenks' regimen

SSH2005

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
I was there 3/8 to 3/15.

Ask some questions rather then attempting to argue over news articles and I'll give you some responses.

What reason do they have to lie? People will know come opening day. And it could have been 92 when you were there. Was it early in the spring?

That is two legitimate quesitons I asked right there.

1. What reason do they have to lie? There is really no sense to lie about injuries in baseball. The proof is in the pudding and there is no gameplanning.

2. When you were there, which you just answered.

All you had to do was answer those questions but you replied with "I love this board."

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kusnyer says his velocity is coming back, I will admit to having concern but lots of pitchers pick up their velo the last week of ST, this is not a situation limited to Jenks.

Kusnyer says his velocity is coming back, I will admit to having concern but lots of pitchers pick up their velo the last week of ST, this is not a situation limited to Jenks.

I hope so. I'm more worried about his control than his velocity. Our bullpen looks rather shaky right now with Jenks having issues and both Logan and Thornton as near locks for bullpen spots.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
1. What reason do they have to lie? There is really no sense to lie about injuries in baseball. The proof is in the pudding and there is no gameplanning.

LMAO.. I'm sorry. But I just find your defense of their comments completely asinine and naive.

But.. ya got spunk so that's a plus I guess.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
LMAO.. I'm sorry. But I just find your defense of their comments completely asinine and naive.

But.. ya got spunk so that's a plus I guess.

So in other words you are saying you can't ever believe anything that anybody on the team says. I understand how it works, but I think if Ozzie and the staff were truly concerned with the velocity they would say something. They are sitting there saying they are upset that he isn't throwing strikes now, why lie about one thing and not the other.

I can understand being skeptical about what FO people in sports say, but there is just no reason not to believe them in this instance. If that makes me naive, which I don't think it does, so be it.

I hope so.  I'm more worried about his control than his velocity.  Our bullpen looks rather shaky right now with Jenks having issues and both Logan and Thornton as near locks for bullpen spots.

Actually I'm worried about both the control and velocity but I'm also worried about Freddy Garcia's velo, Contreras' velocity and health, and Buehrle's location.

I don't see anything wrong with Kusnyer's comments. I have seen comments like his about a million times over the years. It is very common for pitchers' velocity and location to pick up in the last week to 10 days. The other issue might be they have him working on something (other than losing 15 lbs. that is). He's been working a bit on cut fastballs and sliders so that will affect velocity too.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
So in other words you are saying you can't ever believe anything that anybody on the team says. I understand how it works, but I think if Ozzie and the staff were truly concerned with the velocity they would say something. They are sitting there saying they are upset that he isn't throwing strikes now, why lie about one thing and not the other.

I can understand being skeptical about what FO people in sports say, but there is just no reason not to believe them in this instance. If that makes me naive, which I don't think it does, so be it.

I'm saying that it's their job to present the best picture possible. And stretch the truth to do so.

Personally I don't think you're naive, I think you're right.

The problem is he did not come to camp in optimal condition and unfortunately it has taken him longer to get where he needs to be, in terms of location, velocity, and physical condition. It's basically up to Jenks, either he cranks things up or we'll see Cotts in the 9th inning more often.

I cant believe everyone is arguing about his conditioning and whatnot. The guy is a fat slob, he was last year, the year before, and the year before. s***, he was even an alcoholic slob at one point. This all never effected his veolocity. He is building up thorugh camp. They havent used him all that much, and when he has pitched, hes been working on different pitches. Almost every pitcher we have is throwing a little lighter, even Mark. Its like people have never seen spring training before.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
I cant believe everyone is arguing about his conditioning and whatnot.  The guy is a fat slob, he was last year, the year before, and the year before.  s***, he was even an alcoholic slob at one point.  This all never effected his veolocity.  He is building up thorugh camp.  They havent used him all that much, and when he has pitched, hes been working on different pitches.  Almost every pitcher we have is throwing a little lighter, even Mark.  Its like people have never seen spring training before.

Short, sweet, and to the point.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
I cant believe everyone is arguing about his conditioning and whatnot.  The guy is a fat slob, he was last year, the year before, and the year before.  s***, he was even an alcoholic slob at one point.  This all never effected his veolocity.  He is building up thorugh camp.  They havent used him all that much, and when he has pitched, hes been working on different pitches.  Almost every pitcher we have is throwing a little lighter, even Mark.  Its like people have never seen spring training before.

Exactly. That's what I've been trying to say all month. He's been building up exactly like he said he would. He just needs to get his location straight. The velocity will be there.

People don't want ot hear that though. They want to freak out. Act like it's the regular season. He has said this happens every spring. Nobody wants to listen to him though.

Edited by jphat007

Just to add some perspective here, I saw Jenks in spring training last year when he was every bit of 275 lbs. - much heavier than he is now.

This was in the middle of camp and I happened to sit by the scouts with the radar guns, he was topping out at 93, 94.

The reality is, sometimes extra weight will affect a pitchers velocity. Jenks didn't really turn it on until June with Birmingham. I don't know what his velocity or location were but he clearly came on strong after pitching consistently. Personally I don't expect him to be at optimal velocity and location until May but we'll see, they are working him hard to be at his best by April 2nd.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
What does that have to do with the White Sox? Guillen doesn't lie and he's said that he isn't worried about his velocity, and just wants him to throw more strikes.

I swear on my life that this is what they said about Koch going in to Ozzie's first year on the job.

I swear on my life that this is what they said about Koch going in to Ozzie's first year on the job.

All I can say is thank God it's fairly obvious that Jenks has never done steroids in his life. :P

But I definately don't believe that Ozzie, the Sox, or any other MLB team tells the truth 100% of the time.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
All I can say is thank God it's fairly obvious that Jenks has never done steroids in his life.  :P

The thing is, I never thought Koch did either. He was throwing in the high 90s when he was in college. It's not like his velocity just picked up all of a sudden one year.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
All I can say is thank God it's fairly obvious that Jenks has never done steroids in his life.  :P

But I definately don't believe that the Ozzie, the Sox, or another other MLB team tell the truth 100% of the time.

STOP FREAKING OUT!!!! :P

Here's my biggest concern about Jenks.....his mechanics are off right now, and he seems very tight on the mound. With his elbow history, I just hope he's not putting too much stress on it.

Also, if Cotts has to be our closer, our bullpen becomes even weaker. Can Fox make a "Prison Break 2: Venezuela" and get Urbina back here soon?

The thing is, I never thought Koch did either.  He was throwing in the high 90s when he was in college.  It's not like his velocity just picked up all of a sudden one year.

Jenks has been throwing in the high 90's since high school. And he damn sure doesn't look like he's ever taken a drug that helps build muscle or cut fat. He's pretty much just a fat slob who throws extremely hard like RockRaines said and I'm glad we have him. I just hope he starts showing some signs of control soon. Ozzie wouldn't be having meetings with Jenks and talking about Cotts as a fallback closer plan if there weren't some concerns about him.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
Jenks has been throwing in the high 90's since high school.  And he damn sure doesn't look like he's ever taken a drug that helps build muscle or cut fat.  He's pretty much just a fat slob who throws extremely hard like RockRaines said and I'm glad we have him.  I just hope he starts showing some signs of control soon.  Ozzie wouldn't be having meeting with Jenks and talking about Cotts as a fallback closer plan if there weren't some concerns about him.

Oh, I'm not saying I think Jenks was or is on roids.

Here's my biggest concern about Jenks.....his mechanics are off right now, and he seems very tight on the mound.  With his elbow history, I just hope he's not putting too much stress on it.

Also, if Cotts has to be our closer, our bullpen becomes even weaker.  Can Fox make a "Prison Break 2:  Venezuela" and get Urbina back here soon?

With Logan and Thornton as near locks for our bullpen, I wish Ozzie and Freddy could fly to Venezuela and break him out of there or at least pay off the government to release him. Urbina would look damn good in our bullpen right now.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
It's not at all amazing how some just s*** stir and can't mind their own business.

unfortunately me minding my own business doesn't edit your personal attacks which ruined a good thread.

back on subject, I don't see any reason why the team would lie about him hitting 94 on the gun. The guy threw a pitch 102 mph last season. Saying that he's throwing 94 isn't exactly a good thing, certainly negligibly better than saying he's hitting 92 on the gun. The sCRUBS, which somehow were used in comparison, say that a pitcher is fine despite the fact he hasn't thrown off a mound a month into spring training. Not exactly the same as "lying" about an extra 2MPH off a fastball.

I'm expecting Jenks to struggle in april but I think he'll be fine by may. That gives him about a month to get the weight off and warm up his surgically repaired arm. Hopefully Cotts is up to the task of closing a few times until then.