Guillen questions Jenks' regimen

SSH2005

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
unfortunately me minding my own business doesn't edit your personal attacks which ruined a good thread. 

back on subject, I don't see any reason why the team would lie about him hitting 94 on the gun.  The guy threw a pitch 102 mph last season.  Saying that he's throwing 94 isn't exactly a good thing, certainly negligibly better than saying he's hitting 92 on the gun.  The sCRUBS, which somehow were used in comparison, say that a pitcher is fine despite the fact he hasn't thrown off a mound a month into spring training.  Not exactly the same as "lying" about an extra 2MPH off a fastball.

I'm expecting Jenks to struggle in april but I think he'll be fine by may.  That gives him about a month to get the weight off and warm up his surgically repaired arm.  Hopefully Cotts is up to the task of closing a few times until then.

Get the weight off? Who the hell do you think you are talking about here? I guarantee you NO weight has to be shed or will be shed. When in his career has he been "in shape." Im sure it didnt effect his velocity then huh?

He is building up his velocity and arm strength, its spring TRAINING for s*** sake. Of course he isnt throwing his hardest yet.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
Get the weight off?  Who the hell do you think you are talking about here?  I guarantee you NO weight has to be shed or will be shed.  When in his career has he been "in shape."  Im sure it didnt effect his velocity then huh?

He is building up his velocity and arm strength, its spring TRAINING  for s*** sake.  Of course he isnt throwing his hardest yet.

Never. He's adapted. Just like Colon.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
Get the weight off?  Who the hell do you think you are talking about here?  I guarantee you NO weight has to be shed or will be shed.  When in his career has he been "in shape."  Im sure it didnt effect his velocity then huh?

He is building up his velocity and arm strength, its spring TRAINING  for s*** sake.  Of course he isnt throwing his hardest yet.

I should rephrase. In about a month there's a good chance he'll have lost the 15lbs of winter weight he added. Yeah, I don't think he'd ever be skinny or anything.

But the Thornton thing is almost like the Neal Cotts situation all over again. He's not going to put up good numbers straight away, and I think people realize that.

Tell me you're kidding? Neal Cotts is what, 25 years old? He's shown incredible K/B numbers in the minors, and now is doing the same thing in the majors. Thornton is 29 years old, and has never had a good season above A ball. Cotts is nothing like Thornton. Thorton is possibly the worst left handed pitcher in MLB. Cotts is one of the best.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
Colon has grown alot too.

Understatement, :lol: But that's my point. Jenks has the skill and somewhere under all that blubber, the muscle to get done what needs to get done. I'm way more worried about his head then I am his arm.

Rock, I agree with what you're saying except for the losing weight part.

Last spring the Sox felt he was too heavy and they put him on a conditioning program and told him to lose weight. While the weight may not have affected his velocity previously, the White Sox believed (when they claimed him) that he had tremendous long term potential. They also believe the only way he'll reach that potential is if he takes better care of himself and gets more dedicated and disciplined. They don't expect him to look like Mr. America but they want him in reasonable physical condition.

Maybe they feel the extra weight affects his mechanics, durability, energy level, etc. While there may not be a direct correlation, there's no question they want him to drop several pounds, my uneducated guess is about 15. I'm basing this on what they told him last spring. KW himself told me they told Jenks he needed to get in better physical condition if he intended to have a long career. I believe it's as much about instilling self discipline as it is the possible pitching ramifications of a bunch of extra weight.

I think I needed to hear it from a national reporter for it to really hit home, but, Jayson Stark cut through to me yesterday on ESPN Radio 1000's Silvy and Carmen--my new best friends, :P .

He said, a flame-throwing youngster doesn't make it to the waiver wire for no reason.

So quick to forget Bobby's troubles in the past, I think we still have to realize this is all foreign to Bobby. This is the first time in his career he is really being depended on--especially on such a grand stage--and he may not realize the work it is going to take to stay on top here. He has all the talent in the world, but, if he can't grasp how hard he needs to work here, he may be one of those time-honored sad stories in baseball.

We all grew to love Bobby after he closed out the best season in Chicago White Sox history, but, we have to remember Bobby's appearence on the waiver wire did happen for a reason and he still is a question mark between the ears.

Luckily, if anyone can push Bobby to succeed in the right environment, it's our skipper.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
I think I needed to hear it from a national reporter for it to really hit home, but, Jayson Stark cut through to me yesterday on ESPN Radio 1000's Silvy and Carmen--my new best friends,  :P .

He said, a flame-throwing youngster doesn't make it to the waiver wire for no reason.

So quick to forget Bobby's troubles in the past, I think we still have to realize this is all foreign to Bobby.  This is the first time in his career he is really being depended on--especially on such a grand stage--and he may not realize the work it is going to take to stay on top here.  He has all the talent in the world, but, if he can't grasp how hard he needs to work here, he may be one of those time-honored sad stories in baseball.

We all grew to love Bobby after he closed out the best season in Chicago White Sox history, but, we have to remember Bobby's appearence on the waiver wire did happen for a reason and he still is a question mark between the ears.

Luckily, if anyone can push Bobby to succeed in the right environment, it's our skipper.

That's ok we already got 100000000000000000 times out of him than what you would expect from a waiver wire pickup

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
That's ok we already got 100000000000000000 times out of him than what you would expect from a waiver wire pickup

I'm not debating that.

The closing pitcher for the best team in baseball was picked up off waivers and played for peanuts. That is a hell of an accomplishment right there.

But, why stop there?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
I'm not debating that. 

The closing pitcher for the best team in baseball was picked up off waivers and played for peanuts.  That is a hell of an accomplishment right there.

But, why stop there?

No, of course we don't want that to be the end. But he has already accomplished so much.

Personally I won't be concerned with Bobby until he starts blowing games when it matters.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
LOL. Those are two completely different situations. Ozzie is about as up front as you get in sports. I'm not saying you have to believe any of this. I was just throwing out the three sources that said he was hitting 94 consistently. Many others have said it too. But don't believe them. I don't care. It doesn't mean I won't post them to give people the option to read them.

I was sitting in sect. 113 row 12 which is really about the 7th row. The gun is stationed right in front and it was easy to read. A black guy with the Marlins was sitting right in front of me and he had his own gun. He only used it for 2 pitches but it read the same as the one that was hooked up. Buerhle never threw higher than 84 that day, and Politte was about the same as Jenks. The one pitch I saw go to 93 was laced for a double. I wouldn't be surprised if the was a conspiracy within MLB to add a couple of miles per hour to everyone's fastball, much like the NBA with height measurements. I couldn't care less if jphat doesn't believe me, but anyone else, I am speaking the truth. Why would I make up what Jenks was throwing? Who knows what is causing Jenks drop in velocity, whether its his weightlifting, tightening himself up, or lack of conditioning, or something else, the fact remains his velocity is down, his mechanics looked a little off, he having a tough time throwing strikes, and when he does throw strikes he is getting hit hard.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
I was sitting in sect. 113 row 12 which is really about the 7th row. The gun is stationed right in front and it was easy to read. A black guy with the Marlins was sitting right in front of me and he had his own gun. He only used it for 2 pitches but it read the same as the one that was hooked up. Buerhle never threw higher than 84 that day, and Politte was about the same as Jenks.  The one pitch I saw go to 93 was laced for a double. I wouldn't be surprised if the was a conspiracy within MLB to add a couple of miles per hour to everyone's fastball, much like the NBA with height measurements. I couldn't care less if jphat doesn't believe me, but anyone else, I am speaking the truth. Why would I make up what Jenks was throwing? Who knows what is causing Jenks drop in velocity, whether its his weightlifting, tightening himself up, or lack of conditioning, or something else, the fact remains his velocity is down, his mechanics looked a little off,  he having a tough time throwing strikes, and when he does throw strikes he is getting hit hard.

I trust what you're saying, and I also trust my own eyes. Hitters aren't just barely making contact on his heater like they were doing last year. There's no life on his fastball yet. There's still time for him to get it back, but we have less than 10 days until the games start. Paging Brad Lidge....paging Brad Lidge.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
I think I needed to hear it from a national reporter for it to really hit home, but, Jayson Stark cut through to me yesterday on ESPN Radio 1000's Silvy and Carmen--my new best friends,  :P .

So quick to forget Bobby's troubles in the past, I think we still have to realize this is all foreign to Bobby.  This is the first time in his career he is really being depended on--especially on such a grand stage--and he may not realize the work it is going to take to stay on top here.  He has all the talent in the world, but, if he can't grasp how hard he needs to work here, he may be one of those time-honored sad stories in baseball.

Well there were a few flame throwers who made it to waivers. Turnbow for example looks to be settling in the closer role as well.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
I was sitting in sect. 113 row 12 which is really about the 7th row. The gun is stationed right in front and it was easy to read. A black guy with the Marlins was sitting right in front of me and he had his own gun. He only used it for 2 pitches but it read the same as the one that was hooked up. Buerhle never threw higher than 84 that day, and Politte was about the same as Jenks.  The one pitch I saw go to 93 was laced for a double. I wouldn't be surprised if the was a conspiracy within MLB to add a couple of miles per hour to everyone's fastball, much like the NBA with height measurements. I couldn't care less if jphat doesn't believe me, but anyone else, I am speaking the truth. Why would I make up what Jenks was throwing? Who knows what is causing Jenks drop in velocity, whether its his weightlifting, tightening himself up, or lack of conditioning, or something else, the fact remains his velocity is down, his mechanics looked a little off,  he having a tough time throwing strikes, and when he does throw strikes he is getting hit hard.

It could have been low 90s on some of the pitches you saw. But it's not the end all be all when 3 other places say he is throwing right around 94 consistently.

Nobody should be surprised his velocity is down from 97-98 consistently. As Rock said this is spring training and he is getting ready. He said his velocity doesn't come back until the end of the spring and then maybe not totally. This shouldn't be a surprise we they have told us this is the way it would happen.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
I trust what you're saying, and I also trust my own eyes.  Hitters aren't just barely making contact on his heater like they were doing last year.  There's no life on his fastball yet.  There's still time for him to get it back, but we have less than 10 days until the games start.  Paging Brad Lidge....paging Brad Lidge.

He SAID this is the way it was going to be. He is working up to his velocity. As Kush said nobody has a 98 MPH fastball right into camp.

Your favorite person to cite Joe Nathan isn't throwing as hard as he will. Before his first year with the Twins everyone was wondering how he was going to get by with a 90 MPH fastball, but when the season started, after his training, his good fastball was there. That's the way many hard throwers do it.

Of course they aren't barely making contact. It's March 24. He was getting crushed last year too. I fail to see why people are surprised. He has said this was going to be how it happened.

What other Sox pitcher that was on the team last year and is reported healthy has experienced a drop off in velocity of 4-5 mph? Nobody. There are only 8 days until the season starts. It's time for Jenks to get his act together.

My guess is that Jenks didn't pick up a baseball all winter. He should have been playing long toss at least once a week. Compounding the problem, he's gained another 10lbs at least. He's not going to magically regain all his stuff after a winter of inactivity. Jenks saw the good life last year, and now he's forgotten how hard he had to work to get there.

My own life has been peppered with such incidents, I'm not saying Jenks is a bad person--just that he might not be cut from the cloth that all great players all.