Texas arresting people for being drunk...

Steff

IN bars.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060322/us_nm/bars_dc

Wed Mar 22, 6:05 PM ET

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats.

Not.

Right.

If you're really worried about DUI (which is a valid concern), and you want to do "example" drives like this... then send the cops to bar areas and have them patrol the area outside, and have them stop people headed for their cars. Try to get them to take cabs, or have a friend drive. Offer no-strings-attached breath tests. Thus, preventing some DUIs, not having to arrest anyone, and increasing good PR for the police force.

Duh.

This is scary s***.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

Wow. "It's for the good of the public." Come off of it. This is the only way, huh? Wow. I can't think of anything else to say. :headshake

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
But these arrests are for public intox.

You might be surprised how often people are arrested/charged/ticketed for something other than what the law enforcement official was actually targeting. In this case, D&D or whatever, in prevention of DUI.

What constitutes being drunk? The .08?? If so that's kind of bulls***. People's reaction times may be slower behind the wheel, but if you're blowing a .08 you're probably not to the point were you swinging from chandeliers and s***.

Is the law you can't be drunk in public? I always thought it had to do with some sort of drunken act.

Whose to say these patrons weren't going to stick around and sober up before leaving??

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

(1) They make no effort to differentiate between designated drivers and passengers.

(2) To say that problems such as people walking out into traffic and jumping off of balconies are even remotely comparable in severity to drunk-driving accidents is ridiculous and an insult to all drunk-driving victims.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
But these arrests are for public intox.

The cop was like, "Mr. White, you are being charged with drunk in public-KA!" I was like, "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! I was drunk in a bar! They, threw me into public-KA! I don't want to be drunk in public! I wanna be drunk in a bar, which is perfectly legal! Arrest them!"

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
The cop was like, "Mr. White, you are being charged with drunk in public-KA!" I was like, "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! I was drunk in a bar! They, threw me into public-KA! I don't want to be drunk in public! I wanna be drunk in a bar, which is perfectly legal! Arrest them!"

I've seen that routine - its one of the blue collar comedy guys, thought I forget which one.

A few musings...

This actually isn't the first place this has happened. In Virginia a few years ago, some cops were doing the same thing. They cut it out after outcry, particularly from the bar and restaurant owners in the city (I think it was Arlington, but I could be wrong.)

According to an earlier story I read, a couple of the bars the sting hit were in hotels. The patrons showed the cops their room keys and said they weren't planning on going anywhere, but the cops cited them anyway.

If .08 is going to be the standard for public drunkeness as well as DUI, everyone is going to have a lot smaller choice of places to go eat, and when you do eat, you're going to cut off a lot more.

I could talk about Texans and Preemptiveness, but that might get this thread moved, and I don't want to do that.

I am as Anti-drunken driving as anyone, but this isn't gonig to stop it and it's going to cost jobs besides. Good call, TABC.

EDIT:

So? People do dumb things while sober, too. Are you going to give people Wunderlic tests and arrest those under a certain score for "public stupidity"?

Edited by Mplssoxfan

I have relatives in Texas and they say drunk driving a very, very serious problem down there. There is always at least one student dying each year from drunk drivers at my cousins school, and usually more. If this is what they need to resort to doing, then I don't have a problem with it.

I had a friend who lived in Texas, and he said a DUI is almost a rite of passage to kids down there. TIFWIW, I didnt say it.

This is pretty bulls*** though. I mean, if you cant be drunk in a bar, where can you be drunk?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
I had a friend who lived in Texas, and he said a DUI is almost a rite of passage to kids down there.  TIFWIW, I didnt say it. 

Hey now.. if it's good enough for GDub... it's good enough for everyone. :lolhitting

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
I shelled out $35 to see Tater live last year.  It was my first stand-up experience and it was worth every penny.

His new bit will be debuting this Sunday on Comedy Central.

Was that when he was at the NIU convention center? I debated about it but didn't go.

I saw him once when he came to Rockford. I also saw (and got to meet) Bill Engvall.

I've seen Carrottop 3 times and he show got progressively worse each time. Plus it was always the same basic material. We skipped the 4th time around and of course heard from friends that it was a great show with all new material. :banghead

I'd also like to see Rodney Carrington if he ever comes back.

Edited by Iwritecode