Bruce Levine: "Sox interested in Juan Cruz"

SSH2005

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In related news, Bruce read his sports illustrated, which led him to Soxtalk.com, where he came across this information... Bruce also stressed that the Cubs have already sold over 3 million tickets for the upcoming season while the Sox had only sold about 2.2 million

Thanks Mr Obvious, you're a life saver.

In related news, Bruce read his sports illustrated, which led him to Soxtalk.com, where he came across this information...  Bruce also stressed that the Cubs have already sold over 3 million tickets for the upcoming season while the Sox had only sold about 2.2 million

Thanks Mr Obvious, you're a life saver.

Agreed, Levine is a joke. But now I at least have some hope that KW isn't just settling for Thornton in the bullpen. Just thought I'd pass on the report.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Agreed, Levine is a joke.  But now I at least have some hope that KW isn't just settling for Thornton in the bullpen.  Just thought I'd pass on the report.

If the Sox acquired a right hander mop up guy there is a chance that Logan would be sent down and Thorton would be the LOOGY. Logan, obviously, isn't out of options

Cruz would be a nice addition since he'd at least give us another power arm, but I'd be interested to see what the real price is. Anderson clearly won't happen, but would we give up Fields, Sweeney, or Broadway? Those seem to be our few remaining bargaining chips in the minors.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
Cruz would be a nice addition since he'd at least give us another power arm, but I'd be interested to see what the real price is. Anderson clearly won't happen, but would we give up Fields, Sweeney, or Broadway? Those seem to be our few remaining bargaining chips in the minors.

I'd give up Broadway in a heartbeat.

If the Sox acquired a right hander mop up guy there is a chance that Logan would be sent down and Thorton would be the LOOGY. Logan, obviously, isn't out of options

I'm not so sure. If KW traded for Cruz, they could keep both Logan and Thornton and go with a 7-man bullpen. Remember, Ozuna has a split contract -- he will earn $500,000 if he is in the majors and $330,000 if he is in the minors. They could send Ozuna to Charlotte for the time being, keep Thornton on the opening day roster, wait a few weeks into the season, and then try to sneak Thornton through waivers to AAA and bring Ozuna back up.

Juan Cruz is a headcase anyways.... sure he has great stuff but he doesnt know how to use it.

And what is your opinion on Thornton then? You know, the guy who looks like he is a lock for a roster spot right now?

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
I'm not so sure.  If KW traded for Cruz, they could keep both Logan and Thornton and go with a 7-man bullpen.  Remember, Ozuna has a split contract -- he will earn $500,000 if he is in the majors and $330,000 if he is in the minors.  They could send Ozuna to Charlotte for the time being, keep Thornton on the opening day roster, wait a few weeks into the season, and then try to sneak Thornton through waivers to AAA and bring Ozuna back up.

Possibly. I don't think they'd send Ozuna down though.

Possibly. I don't think they'd send Ozuna down though.

But in my scenario, they wouldn't be keeping Ozuna down there for long. It would just be for a few weeks into the season so they could wait for all the other teams to have their rosters set. Then they could try to slip Thornton through waivers to AAA and bring Ozuna back up. It's a lot easier to sneak a guy through waivers after the season has already started.

This is very old news.  Cruz is a mental midget, and the A's want too much.  I'll pass.

Sure, Beane may want too much. In that case, it may not be worth making the move. But if Cruz is a "mental midget" then Thornton doesn't even have a brain. Cruz has actually had some success in the majors, Thornton has not.

Cruz > Thornton.

Edited by SSH2005

How would people feel if we gave up one of our few remaining good prospects for Cruz?

We already gave up 3 of our top prospects for Thome and Vazquez. It wouldn't make much sense to be stingy with our prospects now when our bullpen looks weak. I still don't see Beane getting a top prospect for Cruz anyways.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
We already gave up 3 of our top prospects for Thome and Vazquez.  It wouldn't make much sense to be stingy with our prospects now when our bullpen looks weak.  I still don't see Beane getting a top prospect for Cruz anyways.

I am not convinced that we would give up a prospect. Right now, our bench is really deep. Would one of our bench players make any sense for Cruz? I remember when the trade was done for Cintron that there was talk that Kenny was not done yet.

I am not convinced that we would give up a prospect.  Right now, our bench is really deep.  Would one of our bench players make any sense for Cruz?  I remember when the trade was done for Cintron that there was talk that Kenny was not done yet.

Wouldn't make much sense. The A's bench is just as stacked as ours if not better -- Bobby Kielty, Jay Payton, Antonio Perez, and Marco Scutaro. Beane will definately want prospect(s).

Sure, Beane may want too much. In that case, it may not be worth making the move. But if Cruz is a "mental midget" then Thornton doesn't even have a brain. Cruz has actually had some success in the majors, Thornton has not.

Cruz > Thornton.

Well duh. Every single person who has ever posted here knows Cruz is better than Thorton.

That doesn't mean we have to go spend some ridiculous price on him.

Well duh. Every single person who has ever posted here knows Cruz is better than Thorton.

That doesn't mean we have to go spend some ridiculous price on him.

Sure, Beane may want too much.  In that case, it may not be worth making the move.  But if Cruz is a "mental midget" then Thornton doesn't even have a brain.  Cruz has actually had some success in the majors, Thornton has not.

Cruz > Thornton.

:huh