Bruce Levine: "Sox interested in Juan Cruz"

SSH2005

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of sounding like Kenny, Cruz is actually a guy I've wanted for a while. With his arm and his funky motion I really think you get him with the right pitching coach(see atlanta) then he'll be a very good pitcher out of the pen.

Also, don't get me wrong I'm not comparing coop to leo but coop aint bad himself.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
At the risk of sounding like Kenny, Cruz is actually a guy I've wanted for a while.  With his arm and his funky motion I really think you get him with the right pitching coach(see atlanta) then he'll be a very good pitcher out of the pen.

Also, don't get me wrong I'm not comparing coop to leo but coop aint bad himself.

I think Cruz can becomes a terrific set-up man. I'd much rather have him than guys like Thornton or Redding.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
I also dont think he will let a bullpen get in the way of a having a world series team repeat. Something will be done, I guess its just a matter of when,  and hopfully its not too late...

I think we should also give the pen a little time to actually see what happens. Yes, we're short but we still have 4 pretty damn good arms in there, and with our starters we aren't going to have to use the 5 and 6 guys in there that often in critical situations. It would be nice to get another arm there is no doubt but I also don't think it's time to hit the panic button yet.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I think we should also give the pen a little time to actually see what happens.  Yes, we're short but we still have 4 pretty damn good arms in there, and with our starters we aren't going to have to use the 5 and 6 guys in there that often in critical situations.  It would be nice to get another arm there is no doubt but I also don't think it's time to hit the panic button yet.

Couldn't have said that any better.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I think we should also give the pen a little time to actually see what happens.  Yes, we're short but we still have 4 pretty damn good arms in there, and with our starters we aren't going to have to use the 5 and 6 guys in there that often in critical situations.  It would be nice to get another arm there is no doubt but I also don't think it's time to hit the panic button yet.

The only relief pitchers I have faith in right now is politte and cotts.

Everyone else seems to have question marks surrounding them right now. Yeah, it's possible that jenks and bmac won't have the problems we're worried about, but I wouldn't call them solid yet.

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)

Everyone else seems to have question marks surrounding them right now.  Yeah, it's possible that jenks and bmac won't have the problems we're worried about, but I wouldn't call them solid yet.

Well I'm pretty confident in both and with the way you make predictions, I'm even more confident. :)

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)

Everyone else seems to have question marks surrounding them right now.  Yeah, it's possible that jenks and bmac won't have the problems we're worried about, but I wouldn't call them solid yet.

You can call Jenks solid based on what he did last year. Can he do it again is the question.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
You can call Jenks solid based on what he did last year.  Can he do it again is the question.

with what we've been seeing of him this spring, the question is harder to answer.

About three minutes of the interview will be replayed on today's Mac, Jurko, and Harry broadcast.

If you're interested, it should be on soon.

That ought to be worth listening to.  MacNeil is a nut for professionalism in broadcasting and LOVES to tear apart Levine.  I'd appreciate hilights if anyone is listening. :)

It's on now.

Wow, they really do hate each other...

Silverman: "Well, can we get some baseball news or what?"

Levine: "Maybe... if you quit pimping me."

Edited by SSH2005

I'm not going to be confident about our bullpen until I see Jenks getting people out with regularity during the regular season. Ever since Hermanson's back became an issue, we didn't have a whole lot of margin for error. Now if Jenks starts screwing up too, we're in trouble.

If Jenks is okay though, I'm a lot less worried because I have faith that Cotts and Politte will be at least decent. It still wouldn't be a good pen unless B-Mac or one of the other guys we have becomes a solid option, but we might be able to live with it considering out starting pitching strength.

I wouldn't depend on being able to acquire a quality bullpen arm at the deadline though. There will probably be more guys available, but the price will also be pretty high. Just remember the level of prospects traded for guys that weren't exactly elite relievers last year.

Cruz reportedly has strong feelings about being a starter. He was terrible last season as a MLB reliever, then went down to the minors and excelled as a starter. I have some worries that he just half-asses it when he's put in relief. Any thoughts on this?

Still, he'd clearly be better than Thornton. But I wonder if he might be worth more to another team as a prospective starter.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
Cruz reportedly has strong feelings about being a starter.  He was terrible last season as a MLB reliever, then went down to the minors and excelled as a starter.  I have some worries that he just half-asses it when he's put in relief.  Any thoughts on this?

Still, he'd clearly be better than Thornton.  But I wonder if he might be worth more to another team as a prospective starter.

If that's true, than it's an issue. It's also not very smart on Cruz's part, since he's a fringe major leaguer. Clearly we have no use for him if he's adamant about starting.

It's on now.

Wow, they really do hate each other...

Silverman:  "Well, can we get some baseball news or what?"

Levine:  "Maybe...  if you quit pimping me."

And it's not a made up hate either. There is a genuine dislike going both ways.

Levine will be on with M, J, and H about 5:35-5:40 pm. About an hour from now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
I'm confident that some pitcher we have confidence in will be a huge disappointment, and some pitcher that we never thought would contribute will be a huge part of our bullpen.

My guess as to the surprise bullpen guy? We have him on the 40-man right now (I think).

Sean Tracey.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Cruz reportedly has strong feelings about being a starter.  He was terrible last season as a MLB reliever, then went down to the minors and excelled as a starter.  I have some worries that he just half-asses it when he's put in relief.  Any thoughts on this?

Still, he'd clearly be better than Thornton.  But I wonder if he might be worth more to another team as a prospective starter.

Interesting how Cruz is insisting on a starting position. If Sox could somehow acquire him from Oakland without paying a high price, it could open several intruiging possibilities:

1. Trade Contreras to a preferably National League ballclub for a package centering around one quality BP arm and one legitimate SP prospect.

2. As result of Contreras' departure, McCarthy moves into the rotation.

3. Cruz replaces McCarthy in the bullpen. If an injury occurs which requires a replacement, Cruz is available.

4. One bullpen spot remains--likely belonging to Thornton. Logan is sent down to the minors.

Your rotation is set with Vazquez/Buehrle/Garland/Garcia/McCarthy

Bullpen is set with Cruz/Politte/Cotts/Jenks/BP Arm from Count trade/Thornton.

Improbable--yes--but certaintly not a scenario I'd be against. Beane just won't give Cruz away to a fellow American League contender for nothing. That's one noteable problem...

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Btw, here's the thing about Cruz wanting to start. It's not from his mouth, just a q&a with the beat reporter. I don't want to give the impression he's raising hell or threatening to soriano anytime soon. Here's the relevant part:

When the A's traded for Juan Cruz, he was supposed to be an important part of the A's pitching staff. Now it seems everyone has forgotten about him. What does his future look like for 2006 and beyond?

-- Chuck K., Chico, Calif.

It's not that the A's have forgotten about Cruz. It's more a case of not quite trusting him. He struggled out of their bullpen last year, and it seems as though he still sees himself as a starter. I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Rare is the player who doesn't embrace his role and still succeeds in it.

Cruz dominated as a starter after being sent to Triple-A last season, but there's at least seven or so starters ahead of him on the organizational depth chart. So unless he accepts life as a reliever, he's probably destined for another year in the Minors. A trade is always possible, because there's no denying that Cruz has dirty stuff. But the A's are the third team to take a chance on his potential, and finding a fourth at this point might be a tough sell, unless general manager Billy Beane is willing take a bag of baseballs and a case of bubble gum in return.

Fwiw. News on the teams' official sites is usually so sunny about the players, that it caught my eye.