Bruce Levine: "Sox interested in Juan Cruz"

SSH2005

But the A's are the third team to take a chance on his potential, and finding a fourth at this point might be a tough sell, unless general manager Billy Beane is willing take a bag of baseballs and a case of bubble gum in return.

This is why I think that Beane asking for Brian Anderson is BS. Juan Cruz's trade value damn sure ain't that high. I think Cruz's trade value is somewhere in between a bag of baseballs and Brian Anderson. No way Beane gets a top prospect for Cruz.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would I like having Cruz? Sure, why not. Am I giving up Liotta, Sweeney, Broadway or Fields for him? Hell no.

Maybe the A's would like someone like Aaron Cunningham, OF prospect with a sweet stroke. Doubt Beane would settle for that though.

Let's wait and see who we can nab at the end of ST, before we give up anyone of value I say.

This is from a March 19th article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPGO8HQH7H1.DTL

Briefly: The White Sox have interest in reliever Juan Cruz, who's slated to go to Triple-A Sacramento. Cruz picked up a cut fastball and hasn't allowed an earned run in his six innings.

I guess Cruz learned a cut fastball and it's helping him dominate hitters this spring.

Edited by SSH2005

Question though--Would people be willing to part with Jerry Owens for Cruz? It seems like the sox aren't as high on Owens as they should be [esp. after his 2005 season]. If Owens' defense isn't what it should be, and doesn't project as anything more than a LFer, trading Alex Escobar for Cruz, in essence, could make sense.

With Ryan Sweeney's development, I don't see Owens helping the sox in 2006. And how many rookies come in as a leadoff man on a team with world series hopes for 2007?

I say this knowing that Owens for Cruz would prob. favor the A's. But if the A's threw in a prospect in the 11-20 range, say a pitcher, then....

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 05:43 AM)
Question though--Would people be willing to part with Jerry Owens for Cruz? It seems like the sox aren't as high on Owens as they should be [esp. after his 2005 season]. If Owens' defense isn't what it should be, and doesn't project as anything more than a LFer, trading Alex Escobar for Cruz could make sense.

With Ryan Sweeney's development, I don't see Owens helping the sox in 2006-

That's difficult to answer with questions aboiut Cruz's attitude toward relieving hanging over him. If he goes into a pout because he's not starting, we don't need him.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
That's difficult to answer with questions aboiut Cruz's attitude toward relieving hanging over him.  If he goes into a pout because he's not starting, we don't need him.

Very true. I think the Sox usually do a good job looking into a player's background before getting them. At least the last few years KW and co. have done a good job. If Cruz is a headcase, the sox wouldn't want him. And they should be able to find out. While we fans might not see it, major league baseball is a rather small little fraternity. People move around so much, there is always someone who knows about another players background and makeup