Balta1701

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
Here comes 5 more pages on Jenks.

Sorry sorry. I was just joking. Tracey's in. I wouldn't have done it if it were regular season. Trying to lighten the mood re the bullpen.

Soxtalk ----> :fight

Edited by jphat007

ESPN 1000 sports update: Ozzie says that he will use a closer-by-committee if Jenks continues to struggle.

I guess we weren't blowing it out of proportion if Ozzie is saying this.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
WSCR 670 sports update:  Ozzie says that he will use a closer-by-committee if Jenks continues to struggle.

He said that the last two days. Said he'd use Cotts if he needed to and that's why he put him in the 9th the other day.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Well, if Ozzie cant rely on him then I am fairly sure he wont pitch him.  Ozzie has never been one to make sure everyone gets in their regular work in the bullpen, and he goes with the hot hand a lot.  Hermanson hasnt had a good spring by any stretch though, and already having lower back problems is just not good.  Those kinds of injuries arent going to heal at all and are probably going to get worse over the course of the season.

If Hermanson's back troubles persist and he's ineffective pitching, he should atleast consider beginning the season on the 15 day disabled list.

Honestly, after watching him this spring I believe he's done. If devoting the ENTIRE offseason to rest your back doesn't provide comfort, then what difference will a short period make? I recall last season Hermanson said his aches were so severe he had trouble picking up his own daugher. This is a problem.

If he returns from any designated DL trip and continues to falter, what happens next? Someone will have to make a difficult decision--whether it's Hermanson or the Sox. Don't need backless pitchers on our roster.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
ESPN 1000 sports update:  Ozzie says that he will use a closer-by-committee if Jenks continues to struggle.

This is nothing different than what he's been saying the last few days. If we go to a bullpen by committee, we won't make the playoffs (the first of many predictions by me).

BTW, I've decided that my key to the season is Brandon McCarthy.

Ozzie says that he will use a closer-by-committee if Jenks continues to struggle.

Taken directly from page 43, "Baseball Motivational Strategies 101", by Connie Mack, foreward by Casey Stengel.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
This is nothing different than what he's been saying the last few days.  If we go to a bullpen by committee, we won't make the playoffs (the first of many predictions by me). 

BTW, I've decided that my key to the season is Brandon McCarthy.

Yah, because that closer by committee thing surely didn't work for us last year.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Taken directly from page 43, "Baseball Motivational Strategies 101", by Connie Mack, foreward by Casey Stengel.

Exactly. That's how Ozzie motivates people. Tells them that he isn't afraid to put you on the bench if you aren't getting the job done.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
If Hermanson's back troubles persist and he's ineffective pitching, he should atleast consider beginning the season on the 15 day disabled list.

Honestly, after watching him this spring I believe he's done. If devoting the ENTIRE offseason to rest your back doesn't provide comfort, then what difference will a short period make? I recall last season Hermanson said his aches were so severe he had trouble picking up his own daugher. This is a problem.

If he returns from any desonated DL trip and continues to falter, what happens next? Someone will have to make a difficult decision--whether it's Hermanson or the Sox. Don't need backless pitchers on our roster.

Rest has absolutely nothing to do with this back problem. He has an instability caused by a disc problem. It's a matter of trying to keep the back in a good mechanical position to minimize the excess motion. The more motion that occurs the more inflammation will appear. This is the reason for the epidural injections. It's like putting a crap load of ibuprofen in a localized area to decrease the inflammation. He will have the problem until he has surgery. The key is to manage the problem through rehab and meds. Hermie (the trainer) is one of the best at managing this type of thing. Give them a chance.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
Yah, because that closer by committee thing surely didn't work for us last year.

When did we have closer-by-committe? It went from Shingo to Hermanson to Jenks. Closer-by-committe basically means you go with whoever is fresh and pitching well at the time and matches-up well. Having 3 different closers during the course of the season doesn't equate to closer-by-committee.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
Rest has absolutely nothing to do with this back problem. He has an instability caused by a disc problem. It's a matter of trying to keep the back in a good mechanical position to minimize the excess motion. The more motion that occurs the more inflammation will appear. This is the reason for the epidural injections. It's like putting a crap load of ibuprofen in a localized area to decrease the inflammation. He will have the problem until he has surgery. The key is to manage the problem through rehab  and meds. Hermie (the trainer) is one of the best at managing this type of thing. Give them a chance.

Thanks for setting me straight on this issue. That's why people with actual medical knowledge should post here more often. :headbang

I"m still worried on whether or not Hermanson can be an effective reliever. Unless epidural injections allow him a fluid delivery, he'll still have a drastic drop in velocity.

When did we have closer-by-committe?  It went from Shingo to Hermanson to Jenks.  Closer-by-committe basically means you go with whoever is fresh and pitching well at the time and matches-up well.  Having 3 different closers during the course of the season doesn't equate to closer-by-committee.

Marte closed a few games did he not, I also think it bounced between Shingo and Hermanson for at least a week to 10 days, Hermanson closed some games after Jenks was called up, etc.

Guillen has always said he'd do it this way, if he thinks there's a better match up he'll use it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
When did we have closer-by-committe?  It went from Shingo to Hermanson to Jenks.  Closer-by-committe basically means you go with whoever is fresh and pitching well at the time and matches-up well.  Having 3 different closers during the course of the season doesn't equate to closer-by-committee.

Early in the season Marte, Shingo and Hermy all closed some. Then Hermy and Marte traded off a bit. Then Hermy and JEnks from time to time. Then Jenks.

But predict doom and gloom. Cool by me.