russia gave intel to saddam

samclemens

QUOTE(samclemens @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189050,00.html

interesting article. documents found also say that saddam expressly forbid oil wells being set on fire. it is somewhat bothersome that russia seems to be interjecting itself into all the controversies the US is involved in though.

Like I've said before on here. It's like the second Cold War. Russia, China, Iran, Venezuela etc.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(samclemens @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189050,00.html

interesting article. documents found also say that saddam expressly forbid oil wells being set on fire. it is somewhat bothersome that russia seems to be interjecting itself into all the controversies the US is involved in though.

I mentioned this a few days ago in here - Russia is still a key player in the Middle East. As far as Russia is concerned, the Middle East, and particularly Iran, Iraq and the Stans, are within their regional sphere of influence. They will continue to engineer things in that region to their liking, to the extent they are capable - even if it is in direct contravention of the "Western" world's plans.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
russia owns all their media outlets. Putin is a f***ing joke piece of s*** that is gonna destroy any chance russia had at a free society.

The same Putin who has a 6th degree blackbelt in Judo? Putin is a f***ing badass, that's all I see in him.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
russia owns all their media outlets. Putin is a f***ing joke piece of s*** that is gonna destroy any chance russia had at a free society.

I strongly disagree. Putin is the best thing for Russia since Gorby. He has done more to promote real business in that country than all his predecesors combined. Corruption is still rampant but being pushed down. People are making money. There is a real middle class now. Putin barks pretty loud, but he has been a great leader for that country.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
I strongly disagree.  Putin is the best thing for Russia since Gorby.  He has done more to promote real business in that country than all his predecesors combined.  Corruption is still rampant but being pushed down.  People are making money.  There is a real middle class now.  Putin barks pretty loud, but he has been a great leader for that country.

Yeah, well, that very well may be true, but he's someone to keep an eye on as he seems to have his fingers in every cookie jar.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
Yeah, well, that very well may be true, but he's someone to keep an eye on as he seems to have his fingers in every cookie jar.

Of course he does. They want to keep as much influence as possible, particularly in their perceived regions of interest.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
I strongly disagree.  Putin is the best thing for Russia since Gorby.  He has done more to promote real business in that country than all his predecesors combined.  Corruption is still rampant but being pushed down.  People are making money.  There is a real middle class now.  Putin barks pretty loud, but he has been a great leader for that country.

hitler was pretty great for the economy too...consolidating so much power for the government and controlling all the media outlets therefore controlling the information...he can f*** himself he's leading that country into a place America's never stood for (as long as they weren't fighting a worser evil of course)

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
hitler was pretty great for the economy too...consolidating so much power for the government and controlling all the media outlets therefore controlling the information...he can f*** himself he's leading that country into a place America's never stood for (as long as they weren't fighting a worser evil of course)

Are you serious? You're comparing Putin, who has led Russia out of the dark ages and done pretty much everything right with the economy and public safety, to Hitler? Where amongst Putin's actions and decisions do you see anything remotely like imperialism, or cultural cleansing, or government control of industry? Russia has been giving up government control of tons of business.

If you are really thinking that way, then all the facts in the world won't convince you otherwise.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Are you serious?  You're comparing Putin, who has led Russia out of the dark ages and done pretty much everything right with the economy and public safety, to Hitler?  Where amongst Putin's actions and decisions do you see anything remotely like imperialism, or cultural cleansing, or government control of industry?  Russia has been giving up government control of tons of business.

If you are really thinking that way, then all the facts in the world won't convince you otherwise.

I guess consolidating power and controlling the media outlets doesn't strike you as dangerous. I have no doubt in my mind that Putin does not like the US and is not going to be a cooperative partner as he and russia begin to get more powerful.

And yes i'm comparing Putin to hitler. Cuz hitler also seized control and corrected the economy whilst consolidating all his power and stripping away freedoms. that much sounds familiar. I can make that analogy without referring to the holocaust. There aren't that many good analogies of democratic societies being taken over by power hungry men and succeeding.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
I guess consolidating power and controlling the media outlets doesn't strike you as dangerous. I have no doubt in my mind that Putin does not like the US and is not going to be a cooperative partner as he and russia begin to get more powerful.

And yes i'm comparing Putin to hitler. Cuz hitler also seized control and corrected the economy whilst consolidating all his power and stripping away freedoms. that much sounds familiar. I can make that analogy without referring to the holocaust. There aren't that many good analogies of democratic societies being taken over by power hungry men and succeeding.

Putin's control of the media is much less than it was previously. Freedom of the press is still sadly lacking there, but there is more of it than there was five years ago.

Yeah, Putin isn't fond of the US, and guess what? Neither is most of the rest of the world right now. But Russia will be open to US cooperation because they need the cash flow.

I'm sorry, but your comparison of Putin to Hitler is just ridiculous.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)

:wacko: