Admission To U. of I. gets tougher

SnB

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 07:26 AM)
I am one of these "fratboys" that a lot of people here seem to hate and I completely agree with this statement.  I'm at another big ten school thought, not U of I.  If you rush a frat hard enough odds are that you will get into it.  Fraternitities are almost always looking to take as many people as possible at the beginning and try to weed them out as time goes on through pledging.

The one thing I don't understand is all the greek hate, maybe because at Wisconsin the greek system is relatively small as compared to IU and U of I.  But, at least in my case, I don't think either way about people who aren't in frats, why the hell do they than think of me with such cliche stereotypes.  A frat is a cheap place to live, a good way to meet friends freshman year, and a great place to have fun.  It is no more or less than that in my opinion.  People boast about their pride in whatever frat they are, but honestly who gives a f***?  If they think that their house is something special and greater than everyone else than let them.  You will always have people on both sides of this.  Personally, I don't understand how people get so wrapped up in "the history and legacy of the house."  Yea I know we get it in engrained into us during pledging (and trust me everyone tries their hardest to get the pledges into that, pledging was not an easy experience for me) but I never understood how someone can so blindly get attached to things like that.

I can't comment on Wisconsin, so i won't. But i can comment on U of I. The stereotypes that have been talked about are true in my opinion. Maybe it's a lot different on different campuses.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 06:57 AM)
You obviously do not understand how the process works.  Yes you can RUSH any number you like but that does not mean they will give you a bid.  Yes some of the s***ty ones will let anyone and everyone in, but the top ones can and are very selective on to who they give bids.

Actually i do know how it works here, and my statement is correct. I still would love to meet someone here that has rushed and not gotten into A frat. I'm not guaranteeing you get into "the" frat but if you want to be in the greek system, it's a matter of choice.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
Actually i do know how it works here, and my statement is correct. I still would love to meet someone here that has rushed and not gotten into A frat. I'm not guaranteeing you get into "the" frat but if you want to be in the greek system, it's a matter of choice.

seriously...and if you didn't get in it's likely because you were disabled or an unpopular race (not white)...cause honestly frats are either grossly prejudiced or just geared towards caucasions. I guess a fraternity is our pre-country club.

I think Illinois does it wrong. I like Michigan State's way of accepting kids in general, then narrowing it down over their first two years (or 56 credits). I applied for Eli Broad via accounting (I think UofI was ranked 28th, Eli Broad was 32, plus accounting is Broad top school, so it's higher than 32), it was even tougher. If I were to change majors, I'd have to reapply to get back to accounting but I can change freely amongst the others. I talked to so many kids who applied but didn't get into accounting.

I think it is too much to have kids apply to a specific school coming out of high school. Kids really don't know what they want to do. Once people have a class or two, they realize they don't like stuff.

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
LCR, you should come into some of the business classes I'm in.  Completely full of greeks that think they're all going to be a CEO of some company. 

I don't how far along you are, but I probably do have quite a few cheif executives in my classes. It will be even more once I get in the masters program.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 02:15 AM)
Sometimes, yes. Steve has some certain qualities that annoy me to no end, but he's still my lover.

.... :o

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
To be fair LCR, a lot of those bars are filled with Parkland kids.  Not the local ones that go there, but the ones whose parents pay $10 grand  to live at private housing on UIUC's campus, 10 miles away from their Junior College. :rolly

My ex haha. :bang :lolhitting

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)

With the Greek systems at the big schools, if you want to be in a frat, you can be. You have to really suck to not get a bid from somewhere. Even the fat ugly girls have their own sororities.