3/25 Game Thread: Sox vs. Giants

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
I hope so.  Not sure you can just assume that, especially in Jenks' case.

He said he'll be ready so I'm assuming that he'll be ready utnil I see him look like crap in a game that matters. It's not like it matters though. What I think isn't going to change anything. So instead of worrying about it, I'll just assume they'll be ready. BUt that's 1 out of 25. The fact that most of the rest of them look good at this point is encouraging.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
He said he'll be ready so I'm assuming that he'll be ready utnil I see him look like crap in a game that matters. It's not like it matters though. What I think isn't going to change anything. So instead of worrying about it, I'll just assume they'll be ready. BUt that's 1 out of 25. The fact that most of the rest of them look good at this point is encouraging.

Last season, there were a lot of really good closers who got off to sh*tty starts to the season & took a few games/a week or two to really get into things. The God of Closers they have in NY blew like 2 saves in a row against the Red Sox to start the season. It may take him a little while once the season starts too, but it seemed to take that for a lot of closers last year too.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Minus the Tyler Lumsden experience , I've seen some encouraging things so far in this game...most notably Javier Lopez's appearence and Brian Anderson.

Sounds like a name for a cool band. Maybe music is his true calling, because it does not appear to be pitching at this time.

How sad is it that we have more confidence in a guy with 5.1 IP at Single A over Thornton?

If KW makes a trade to bring in a decent righty reliever to replace Thornton and Jenks starts throwing strikes, our bullpen will look damn good. Logan looks like he could be a pretty good LOOGY for us.

DYE WITH A BOMB! 7-5 Giants. Dye's fourth homer of the spring.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
I think Thome is playing in a AAA game today, along with Jenks

He and Pods were playing in a game when I was at Tucson facing Wes Whistler. Both doubled. Thome was not allowed to run, however. He did play the regular game the next day and fanned 3 times. From what I understand, he is usually a very slow starter.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
How sad is it that we have more confidence in a guy with 5.1 IP at Single A over Thornton?

If KW makes a trade to bring in a decent righty reliever to replace Thornton and Jenks starts throwing strikes, our bullpen will look damn good.

Do we expect Thornton pitching anywhere today? Our bullpen wouuld look damn good if they could get Thornton's ERA under 5 also.

Uribe tries to stretch a single into a double and gets thrown out at 2B. Inning over. 7-5 Giants.

Do we expect Thornton pitching anywhere today?  Our bullpen wouuld look damn good if they could get Thornton's ERA under 5 also.

Not sure but I really don't want to see him pitch. He's awful.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
So I take it Elvis,  I mean Boone Logan had another dominant outing?

I thought it was crazy even considering him for a job with the major league team. But he continues to get guys out, and has earned a roster spot, no doubt about it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
I thought it was crazy even considering him for a job with the major league team. But he continues to get guys out, and has earned a roster spot, no doubt about it.

He's on the team as far as I'm concerned. He's done everything that could possibly be asked of him. I just hope and PRAY he can bring it to the regular season.

Also, I think that Logan's strikeouts will increase when he starts facing mostly lefties but right now he's showing that he can get both lefties AND righties out which is really nice.

Sean Tracey in for Logan.

Boone Logan's line: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 BB, 1 K

So what happens to Lopez if Logan and Thornton wind up making the team?  Can we send him to AAA for a few months while they try messing with Thornton, or do we have to get him through waivers?

Thornton is out of options. He would have to clear waivers to be sent to AAA which is unlikely because he's a lefty who throws 96 MPH. Unfortunately, I think he will make our opening day roster and they may try to slip him through waivers to Charlotte later in the season.

Javier Lopez is signed to a minor league deal. I believe they can assign him to the minors whenever they want to.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
What about Thome?

He's looked great this spring. They just didn't want him to go on the road. This way for three straight days he can lead off every inning and get a ton of ABs.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
Thornton is out of options.  He would have to clear waivers to be sent to AAA which is unlikely because he's a lefty who throws 96 MPH.  Unfortunately, I think he will make our opening day roster and they may try to slip him through waivers to Charlotte later in the season.

I know Thornton is out of options. I'm asking about Lopez. He's clearly been better than Thornton this spring, but Thornton will make the team by default to give Cooper a better chance with him.

If Lopez doesn't make the big league team, will he hit the waiver wires, or can we send him to AAA?

Edit: Just saw your edit. Thanks. At least we have 1 decent LOOGY sitting at AAA if Thornton can't figure things out in a few months.

Edited by Balta1701