Losing Rooney Crushing for Sox Fans

Chisoxfn

Losing Rooney Crushing for Sox Fans

By Alex Bozich

Senior Writer, Soxtalk.com

Oh how I envy you, St. Louis Cardinals fans. Yes, we got the ring. Yes, you choked to the Astros in last year’s playoffs. But that’s beside the point.

Your new play by play man is none other than our beloved John Rooney. And well, let’s just say his replacement here in Chicago isn’t quite in the same league...MORE

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Today was the first I got to hear singleton.  It was painful to listen to him to PBP.  Sounded like a high school broadcast.

I turned it off rather than listen.

This is disgusting.

I really hate the SCORE.

He must be really bad. I haven't heard anyone say anything good about him. Luckily I don't listen to the Sox on the radio, but he seems to be one of those boring guys. He's nice, but nice doesn't mean you should have the job.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
He must be really bad.  I haven't heard anyone say anything good about him.  Luckily I don't listen to the Sox on the radio, but he seems to be one of those boring guys.  He's nice, but nice doesn't mean you should have the job.

The sad thing is that you can tell he has never done it before. Too much dead air and lengthy pauses.

The article is right on. I would use the radio to run to and listen while doing other things. Now I am not sure I can listen. I'll watch the game and put off those things to later.

Even worse, I may pass on listening to the game and knowing what is happening. It is that bad. If the games have no meaning, there will be no audience.

I live in St. Louis, and heard Rooney's voice on the radio and thought for some reason the Sox game was on the radio. Then of course I remembered that he is gone now. That really sucks, and I haven't even heard Singleton yet. I guess it gives me more of a reason to listen to the Cards games this year, though Mike Shannon may actually be a bigger homer than Hawk.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

I never did hold Rooney in the high regard that many do - I thought when Hagin left, that the Sox kept the wrong guy. Got real tired of Rooney getting me all pumped up on a long fly ball by consistently raising his voice about three levels thinking it was gone, only to have it be caught short of the track. I think he's an average announcer, not the great one many seem to think of him as.

WSCR is giving Sox fans and Singleton a bum deal. If he picks things up and turns into a good announcer, it'd be in spite of them. Pretty tough way to break into a profession-in a top job following someone who's been at it for decades. I'm trying not to wince too much and give him lots of leeway. Really wish they would have brought Hagin back, but he no doubt would not have come cheap enough to suit WSCR.

One listen to the radio pieces here and you'll realize how much Rooney will be missed.

However, I can't believe how people are sounding off on Singleton already. This is the guy's first job in broadcasting; filling three hours is quite difficult for Hawk at times, it was difficult for Rooney, and it has to be even more difficult for a novice.

I'll give Singleton to the All-Star break. It's only fair.

I would have loved to hear what ya'll had to say about DJ when he first got in the booth.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
One listen to the radio pieces here and you'll realize how much Rooney will be missed.

However, I can't believe how people are sounding off on Singleton already.  This is the guy's first job in broadcasting; filling three hours is quite difficult for Hawk at times, it was difficult for Rooney, and it has to be even more difficult for a novice. 

I'll give Singleton to the All-Star break.  It's only fair.

I would have loved to hear what ya'll had to say about DJ when he first got in the booth.

The reason to sound off is because this is the third largest radio market in the country and WSCR goes out to 38 states, if I recall correctly. Singleton is about 33 and has never done radio. Give him a shot at doing AAA or AA games not working MLB. Let him learn the trade, don't just hand it to him....unless he comes cheap. Sad Rooney is gone but mike North and Mike Murphy are still employed by that half assed station.

I still think the blame here goes to the Sox more so than the Score. The MLB team has final say so on who is hired and the Sox should have had more input. This is a new deal with the Score and the Sox should have set up to have more control. Then again they may have and they may have this was the best way to go.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)

However, I can't believe how people are sounding off on Singleton already.  This is the guy's first job in broadcasting; filling three hours is quite difficult for Hawk at times, it was difficult for Rooney, and it has to be even more difficult for a novice. 

I'll give Singleton to the All-Star break.  It's only fair.

I was thinking about it, and you might have a point. I just figured when it comes to radio guys you're either good or you're not. I'll give Chris some time before I come to a final conclusion on him.