Red Sox place Tony Graffanino on waivers

SSH2005

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...ced_on_waivers/

Graffanino is placed on waivers

By Chris Snow and Gordon Edes, Globe Staff  |  March 26, 2006

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Unable to find a suitable offer for Tony Graffanino, and uninterested in taking the financial hit to cut him or keep him, the Sox have placed the spare second baseman on waivers.

At least a few teams -- including the Mets, Cardinals, and Cubs -- are believed to be interested in Graffanino. But his 2006 cost ($2.05 million) and difficulties at the plate apparently convinced teams not to give up anything for him that sufficiently interested the Sox. In 12 spring games, he's hitting .182 (6 for 32) with 2 doubles and 2 RBIs. The Sox have showcased him at first, second, and third base this spring.

The Sox had to make a decision on Graffanino this week, or risk being on the hook for the full $2.05 million. As a player signed through the arbitration process, Graffanino's contract remains nonguaranteed. As of now, the Sox could cut him and owe him 45 days termination pay, which amounts to $512,500. However, his deal becomes guaranteed in full Wednesday.

''It's been very difficult," Graffanino said yesterday. ''Once I knew I wasn't going to be on this club, I wanted to leave as soon as I could. Right now my hope, I guess, is somebody claims me or a trade still works out."

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
Big Willie Style will be the starting 2B and leadoff hitter somewhere by May...

Sure he will and Gio wont ever be in the majors, Rowand will be MVP, and Boone Logan wont make the team because he hasnt pitched above a ball.

Latest News  Mar. 28, 2006 - 2:42 pm et

Royals claimed infielder Tony Graffanino off waivers from the Red Sox.

So much for Esteban German as our big AL-only sleeper. Graffanino will get nearly all of the at-bats that don't go to Royals' regular infielders. He should start in place of Doug Mientkiewicz or Mark Teahen against left-handers and get in a game per week at second base in place of the injury-prone Mark Grudzielanek. He'll have a little value in fantasy leagues.

If anyone deserves it it's this selfish greedy bastard... Have fun in last place error boy!

Well, the greedy bastard was actually the Red Sox. They didn't even want Graffanino to begin with. The only reason they offered him arbitration was because they thought he would decline it to become a free agent. They just wanted the compensatory draft pick they would get from Graffanino leaving via free agency. Too bad he accepted the arbitration offer. :D

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 03:24 AM)
I'm still kind of pissed when he choose the Royals over the Sox in 2004 because they were going to win the divison.. We all know how that plan worked for him...

Also he was going to get a lot more AB's for the Royals too.... would you rather be a bench player not getting much playing time or a guy who isnt an everyday starter but gets a lot of ab's and everything.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
I'm still kind of pissed when he choose the Royals over the Sox in 2004 because they were going to win the divison.. We all know how that plan worked for him...

Religion and the type of players the royals are known for having played into it. He chose the royals because they were gonna win the division? Did you know that ahead of the time? Because if you did you would be wrong. No one expected them to ever start off that well and for anyone to say so is just a lie.

But he is selfish...

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
This is somewhat off-topic, but is Willie going to make the Red Sox?

Adam Stern still has 17 days remaining on his 'rule 5' contract, which means he is still technically property of the Braves until those 17 days have been completed.

Willie Harris signed a minor league deal and that's where he'll be to start, but there isn't a doubt in my mind if he doesn't come up 17 days from April 1st, he'll be up at some point this season.

Even though he's hit so poorly statistically reporters, beat writers, and even Theo are really enjoying watching Willie Harris play, as he's apparently dramatically improved his bunting and base running skills and can 'kill two birds with one stone' as he can play both the infield and outfield.

Another thing is he's been very accomodating and has been playing all over the infield and outfield, something he pretty much refused to do in Chicago.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)

Yeah, or not even close.

He wanted to start, the Sox weren't giving it to him, and Royals were. That's why he left.

I do feel sort of bad for Graffanino but these two year deals he's been talking about, I just fail to see.

...Or if two year deals were on the table, I can't imagine he'd have recieved more than the 2.05 million he'll recieve this year.

Either way you dice it, Tony Graffanino should realize that he's being payed millions of dollars to play baseball and that the Red Sox did the right thing, even if it didnt go as planned.

I saw that Willie was playing some CF. If he is also learning how to play SS, he would actually have some value off the bench. I still don't see him getting a roster spot with Alex Cora and Adam Stern / Dustan Mohr around. Although I heard that Dustan Mohr might be traded soon.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
I saw that Willie was playing some CF.  If he is also learning how to play SS, he would actually have some value off the bench.  I still don't see him getting a roster spot with Alex Cora and Adam Stern / Dustan Mohr around.  Although I heard that Dustan Mohr might be traded soon.

Dustan Mohr no longer has any place on the Red Sox with the acquisition of Wily Mo Pena.

He'll either spend time at Pawtucket or traded.

Dustan Mohr no longer has any place on the Red Sox with the acquisition of Wily Mo Pena.

He'll either spend time at Pawtucket or traded.

So I guess if Willie can show that he's at least competent defensively in CF he could be the fifth outfielder.

By the way, what the hell are the Red Sox going to do with the Hee-Seop Choi / J.T. Snow / Kevin Youkilis situation? Mike Lowell will be starting at 3B right? I know that Youkilis can also play 3B but that's two lefty first basemen with Lowell at 3B. Either Choi or Snow needs to hit the road somehow. Does Choi still have any options left or will he have to clear waivers again for the Red Sox to send him to AAA?

Edited by SSH2005