DET's Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya

Flash Tizzle

Was browsing Detroit's MLB forum looking for information on these two pitchers earlier and came across an insider article posted by Jayson Stark.

It's not copyright infringement when you cite an MLB thread which may or may not have the information in question. :D

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp...g=19427.1&ctx=0 (2nd post)

I'm interested in any thoughts from members familar with either pitcher--whether it's long term projections or testimonty to their talent. Sounds like several Bobby Jenks clones (stuff wise) are earning positions on the Tigers pitching staff.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

They were ranked 1-2 among Detroit prospects by BA.

Verlander is just flat sick. I know his fastball is usually around 94-96. I hear it touches 99 on occassion. He's got a plus curve and change that he consistently throws for strikes. He's got excellent control as well.

Zumaya also has a filthy fastball. From what I've read, he regularly touches 100 mph. Like Verlander, he also has a very good curve/change.

In short, both these guys are future studs.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

Big mistake for Detroit if they put Zumaya in the pen, and don't let him start down in AAA.

But they obviously want to win now, which is why Verlander got the 5th starter's job. If he can give em around a 4.00 ERA, their rotation suddenly looks not too bad at all. I'm just not convinced that their offense is as "good" as the experts say it is.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)
Big mistake for Detroit if they put Zumaya in the pen, and don't let him start down in AAA.

But they obviously want to win now, which is why Verlander got the 5th starter's job. If he can give em around a 4.00 ERA, their rotation suddenly looks not too bad at all. I'm just not convinced that their offense is as "good" as the experts say it is.

Was it a big mistake when we did it with Buehrle and Garland. And now doing it with B-Mac?