More roster cuts made

Guest JimH

Sean Tracey, Ryan Sweeney, Andy Gonzalez, Armando Almanza, Robert Valido and Gustavo Molina reassigned after today's game.

There are 28 guys left in camp.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And those 28 are:

C - Pierzynski, Widger

DH - Thome

1B - Konerko, Gload

2B - Iguchi, Cintron

SS - Uribe, Ozuna

3B - Crede

OF - Podsednik, Anderson, Dye, Mackowiak

Pitchers - Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez, Jenks, Cotts, Hermanson, Politte, McCarthy, Lopez, Logan, Thornton, Redding, Nomo

Nomo will be reassigned or traded for sure, Hermanson goes on the DL.

That means Redding or one of the lefties will get shipped out. With the way Gload has performed I think he's made the team. Great spring for Ross Gload.

Barring, of course, a last minute trade.

Edit: my mistake, I forgot Politte. So I count 29, unless they are assuming Hermanson on the DL already.

Edited by JimH

Nomo, Redding, Lopez should be the remaining three cut off the roster.

Of the three, I'd only bother assigning Lopez to Charlotte. I've seen enough of Nomo's BP fastball, and Redding's rolling curveball.

Agreed, Lopez has some value as a backup LOOGY to Logan. Nomo and Redding are pretty much trash.

Assuming they give Thornton a spot, which I believe they will, it means one of Lopez, Logan, or Redding make the team. Also assuming 11 pitchers.

Since Thornton is the garbage innings guy, it appears there's no spot for Redding.

If that's the case it comes down to Logan or Lopez.

Edited by JimH

Assuming they give Thornton a spot, which I believe they will, it means one of Lopez, Logan, or Redding make the team.  Also assuming 11 pitchers.

Indeed, and it looks like it will be "The Legend of Boone Logan" barring a complete collapse in the remaining ST games.

Edited by SSH2005

Indeed, and it looks like it will be "The Legend of Boone Logan" barring a complete collapse in the remaining ST games.

I tend to agree with you.

Just for discussion, I wonder if they are thinking they'd like to keep Javier Lopez for a month or so and see what they've really got, and option Boone Logan out.

It might not be the most fair solution, but maybe it's the easiest? I can pretty much guarantee that it's being discussed.

Jeff Nelson just got released by the St. Louis Cardinals.  He had a good spring too.

Latest News  Mar. 26, 2006 - 8:58 pm et

Cardinals released RHP Jeff Nelson.

A shocker. Nelson apparently struggled in a minor league game last week, but he had allowed one hit over 5 1/3 scoreless innings in major league games. His phone will probably be ringing off the hook for the next couple of days. Nelson's departure appears to clear the way for Josh Hancock to win a bullpen spt.

Source:  Cardinals.mlb.com

SIGN HIM NOW. PERIOD.

Edited by SSH2005