Extractions

Queen Prawn

Who has had to have healthy teeth yanked? I have to schedule a double extraction for sometime in the near future (left a message with the dentist Friday and they get in this morning at about 11 - will call at about 3 or so if I don't hear back before then).

I really don't want to do this or have these freaking braces on for another 8 months post extraction (which is costing me an additional grand), but I don't think I have much of a choice in this.

So, for how long will my mouth hurt? What is it like when the dentist is pulling the tooth? Is there anything I should do prior to the appointment (take a couple tylenol, valium, a fifth of Jack) to ease some of the pain and discomfort post extraction?

I picked the wrong lent to give up drinking :lolhitting .

I had 4 teeth pulled before I got braces on. They put me to sleep or else I would have never gotten through it. (I have a really bad fear of dentists/doctors)

All i remember is being incredibly groggy for the next 2 days, occasional bleeding and vomiting along with it.

Hooray painkillers.

I also had four teeth pulled before braces. First they rubbed that stuff on the gums to numb them.....then they used three shots of novicaine for each. I felt the needle when it was deepest in....didn't necessarily hurt.....but it was just weird.

Later that day I had a sore mouth but it was gone after a few days. Also, I drooled a ton......

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
I also had four teeth pulled before braces. First they rubbed that stuff on the gums to numb them.....then they used three shots of novicaine for each. I felt the needle when it was deepest in....didn't necessarily hurt.....but it was just weird.

Later that day I had a sore mouth but it was gone after a few days. Also, I drooled a ton......

Would that be drooling more than usual, Heads? :P

I also had teeth pulled before braces. They get you numb with the rubbing stuff and then shots of novacaine. Just sore (obviously) and not too much discomfort for me during the procedure. Just annoyingly sore afterwards for a few days.

Queen, you must have missed my extraction enduced rant within the Catch Everything Thread.

I can't find my posts within the thread, but I'll tell you this--it was, without a doubt, the most painful experience of my life.

One particular wisdom tooth was located below my gums, so my dentist needed to actually cut through to properly extract the tooth. Others had already pushed through, and didn't hurt when pulled. I thought (incorrectly) it couldn't be much more of an inconvenience

Whether the novocaine was inproperly injected I don't know, but it was a prolonged throbbing pain in my jaw that was nearly unbearable. Didn't help the f***ing tooth needed to be broken apart, which took an additional several minutes.

All I have to say is if the teeth your dentist plans on extracting are already fully visible through the gum line, then it shouldn't be a problem. But if you're in a situation where the teeth are below the gum-line, or even partially exposed, seriously consider anesthesia.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I've had braces for two years and this is to fix the overbite - it was this or 40K worth of jaw surgery (the kind where you go into a hospital - the whole kit and kaboodle).

I had 4 wisdom teeth out about 4 years ago - two were partially below the gum line as well as beneath the teeth next to them - many complications and the worst experience of my life - dentally speaking. These two are up front (3 from the front tooth on each side up top). Well, I am going in on 4/6 at 6PM to have this done. Hopefully no complications. Now off to work with my ass (and the rest of me).

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
I've had braces for two years and this is to fix the overbite - it was this or 40K worth of jaw surgery (the kind where you go into a hospital - the whole kit and kaboodle).

I had 4 wisdom teeth out about 4 years ago - two were partially below the gum line as well as beneath the teeth next to them - many complications and the worst experience of my life - dentally speaking.  These two are up front (3 from the front tooth on each side up top).  Well, I am going in on 4/6 at 6PM to have this done.  Hopefully no complications.  Now off to work with my ass (and the rest of me).

I had a front tooth removed about two months ago and needed the two teeth around it ground down to properly replace with a bridge.

Had no problems - don't let everyone scare you - if you have a good dentist should be relatively painless.

Biggest problem was the temporary bridge - since is was front teeth hard to eat without biting on them. Because they have to let the socket and hole heal before taking impressions for the bridge had to have the temporary in for six weeks.

On a 1 to 10 scale of painful probably a 2 - no big deal!

Hope yours goes as well.