Podsednik injury update

SSH2005

Looks like fathom's prediction about Podsednik not being ready for opening day might actually come true...

http://www.southsidesox.com/story/2006/3/27/183233/719

According to Bruce Levine... During the game, Podsednik "felt a twinge" in his groin and was pulled for precautionary measures. Ozzie is already talking about contingency plans, with Ozuna leading-off Opening Night against the Indians.
Edited by SSH2005

Can we at least note that the guy with the bit of a tweak was the guy who still hasn't gotten himself completely into playing shape, and hopefully this is just another of those cases of guys having to get back in shape while trying to go at full speed and winding up feeling sore?

Latest News  Mar. 27, 2006 - 8:17 pm et

Scott Podsednik left Monday's game after he tweaked his left groin on his third-inning double,

The White Sox are saying Podsednik may play Tuesday, but any leg problem for the speedster is a big source of concern. If he's running at anything less than 100 percent, he's a lousy regular.

We'll see...

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
Can we at least note that the guy with the bit of a tweak was the guy who still hasn't gotten himself completely into playing shape, and hopefully this is just another of those cases of guys having to get back in shape while trying to go at full speed and winding up feeling sore?

I'm hoping that's all it is. I'm not panicking or anything, but it's hard to forget how bad we were without SP last season. He's easily our MVP among the position players.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: 'Twinge' forces Pods from game

Thome hits two more homers in tuneup for regular season

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

MESA, Ariz. -- Scott Podsednik left Monday's game against the Cubs in the bottom of the third inning, after picking up a single and a double in his first two at-bats.

According to White Sox athletic trainer Herm Schneider, Podsednik felt a twinge in his left groin area while running out the double off Cubs starter Greg Maddux in the top of the inning. The move was classified as precautionary by Schneider, who added that Podsednik would have returned to the field if Schneider didn't shut him down.

"There was no sense in sending him back out," said Schneider of Podsednik's minor injury. "We brought him up, iced him and stretched him out. He should do OK.

"Being that it was back in the groin area, he's a little cautious with that. He got a little nervous."

Podsednik returned last Thursday from a sore left shoulder that had left him with only nine Cactus League at-bats heading into the final eight games of Spring Training. But it was a groin problem that slowed Podsednik in the second half of 2005, eventually leading to a stint on the 15-day disabled list in August and offseason surgeries to repair two hernias.

Schneider believes that Podsednik could be back in action for Tuesday's contest against Arizona at Tucson Electric Park. Manager Ozzie Guillen characterized the issue as Podsednik breaking through some scar tissue from the surgery.

If Podsednik is sidelined for any prolonged period of time, even taking him into the 2006 regular season, Guillen seems more than prepared. Pablo Ozuna and Rob Mackowiak would split time in left field, depending on the starting pitcher, and probably hit first in the lineup.

"We don't want people to get hurt," Guillen said. "But one thing about this club is whoever gets hurt, we have people to replace them."

Mirror images -- almost: Mark Buehrle and Maddux took a total of 1 hour, 16 minutes to get through the first six innings of Monday's contest. Not much rest time for either of the talented hurlers.

These two pitchers have very similar styles, attacking the strike zone, making hitters put the ball in play and working quickly, aside from Buehrle throwing left-handed and Maddux from the right side. It's a style that plays well for their respective teammates, with catcher A.J. Pierzynski joking that he hoped the game would end by 2:30 p.m. and allow the White Sox to bypass the Phoenix-area traffic in their return to Tucson.

It's also an approach that surprisingly more pitchers don't follow.

"They are scared or they are not that good," said Guillen with a smile, as to why other hurlers can't pull off crisp efforts such as the ones produced by Buehrle and Maddux. "When you are good, you can get away with it.

"But everyone has their own style. You can't all be Maddux or Buehrle. They throw a lot of strikes and have great confidence in themselves."

Buehrle takes a high level of confidence into his fifth straight Opening Day start against Cleveland on Sunday night in Chicago. He allowed two runs on four hits over seven innings against the Cubs, striking out one.

His pitch count was low enough that Buehrle wanted to return for another couple of innings. If he had stayed in to pitch the complete game, the contest might have concluded in under two hours.

"Any time you go against a guy like [Maddux], you know he's going to be in the zone," Buehrle said. "You have to be ready for the ball to be put in play at any time. You might have five pitches, and then you have to get back out there.

"But this was the best I felt physically. After the fourth, the ball started moving a little more. I was taking a little bit off of it. Overall, I'm ready to go."

Are we there yet? After hitting his first two home runs of the spring on Sunday and knocking out three hits in total, Jim Thome said his hitting stroke was close to being ready for the regular season. But it wasn't quite where he wanted it.

Thome launched two more home runs on Monday at HoHoKam Park, among his four hits, giving him seven hits in his last nine at-bats. It was his second home run on Monday, hit to left field, which gave Thome a feeling of close-to-liftoff in regard to his offensive approach.

"That means I'm staying on the ball," said Thome of his opposite-field home run. "Throughout my career, hitting the ball out the other way, it means I'm getting close.

"You don't try to talk about it too much. You just keep doing it. It's a long year. There are going to be a lot of good and bad times if you play it out."

A day at the park: Here's a few snippets from Guillen on Monday, entertaining the masses as usual.

As to the change for him personally between the current Spring Training, as the manager of the World Series champions, and his first Spring Training as White Sox manager two years ago, Guillen said, "Now, there are just 30 or 40 reporters around to see how big my mouth really is."

And in regard to Monday's 4-4 tie with the Cubs, Guillen replied, "It's the best game we played all spring."

Third to first: Pitching coach Don Cooper intends to work his relievers in back-to-back games during the final week of Spring Training. Closer Bobby Jenks is scheduled to pitch two innings on Tuesday, have Wednesday off, and then throw on both Thursday and Friday. ... Both Guillen and Pierzynski commented on Matt Thornton's impressive effort during his last outing. Guillen said the hard-throwing left-hander has the stuff to simply throw it by hitters, even if the pitch is straight down the middle of the zone.

Guillen was talking about contingency plans because a reporter asked who would play in his spot if he were unavailable. More of a question about what would happen if Pods went down during the year. Looks like it would be a split between Pablo and Rob.

Herm said he would have gone right back in the game if he hadn't told Pods to stay out because there was no sense in throwing him back out there.

Real good news. FIgured he might have hurt an ankle or knee or something when I heard he went out today.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
But we all know that nagging groin injuries aren't good and especially suck for Podsednik.  He keeps trying to steal bases and gets thrown out easily.

Well, yah, if they said it might be nagging or be a problem I think that would be a big problem for Pods. But he was getting ready to go back in there, which is a big sign considering how high maintenence and worried he gets about his body/conditioning.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
But we all know that nagging groin injuries aren't good and especially suck for Podsednik.  He keeps trying to steal bases and gets thrown out easily.

I heard on the radio that his caught stealing today was bogus, and that he was clearly safe.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

Well, yah, if they said it might be nagging or be a problem I think that would be a big problem for Pods. But he was getting ready to go back in there, which is a big sign considering how high maintenence and worried he gets about his body/conditioning.

Podsednik had a groin problem all of last season and he just felt a twinge in his groin running the bases today. It sure seems to be a "nagging" problem to me. I don't need the Sox to tell me.

I heard on the radio that his caught stealing today was bogus,  and that he was clearly safe.

Yeah, Farmer and Singleton thought that it was a bad call and that Podsednik was really safe. But that was before he felt the twinge in his groin. Last season showed that Podsednik shouldn't even bother stealing bases if he has a groin problem that is hampering his speed.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
Podsednik had a groin problem all of last season and he just felt a twinge in his groin running the bases today.  It sure seems to be a "nagging" problem to me.  I don't need the Sox to tell me.

Well if you want to classify it as that, I don't care. You can call it whatever you want.

It's just great news that he could have gone back in and should be good to go in a day or two, and it wasn't a heck of lot worse than it is.

Good news all around. Glad to see everybody having good ABs too.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
Lousy regular?  Harsh,  but true.

True, yes--but far from unusual. Rotoworld has taken every opportunity to insult our ballclub the last several years. This isn't merely a conspiracy theory--I'm positive someone working for the website despises our ballclub.

Just look at their comments section from the last week and locate one comment where they judge another player based on a perceived injury and label them as a "lousy regular." It's really a "no s***" situation. Remove the most important attribute of someone's game and their bound to become a "lousy regular." Will Gagne still remain a dominant closer without a 98 mph fastball complimenting two outstanding offspeed pitches?

Yep, just another Sox-hating website. :bang :D

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
What I posted is fact.  I'm not calling it whatever I want.  Podsednik had nagging groin problems most of last season and just had a problem with his groin today.

I'm not disputing that. It's quite obvious that he had a twinge. Lots of people who have sports hernia surgery do. It doesn't really affect them. however. Especially the farther you get from the surgery.

He had a nagging groin injury last year because he had a sports hernia. Good thing they caught it and went ahead with surgery in the offseason.