ESPN "Expert" Picks

Winning Ugly

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview06/ne...e=06expertpicks

This is unreal. Only Rogers has the Sox repeating, while several writers has the TWINS winning the Central. WTF ARE THEY SMOKING?!?!?!?

Phil also picks Paulie and Mark for MVP and Cy Young of the AL, respectively.

I like having his last name.

:finger to all the other momos.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Winning Ugly @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)

This is unreal. Only Rogers has the Sox repeating, while several writers has the TWINS winning the Central. WTF ARE THEY SMOKING?!?!?!?

:huh:

Only one person, Neyer, picked the Twins to win the Central.

8 of 13 have the Sox winning the Central, 9 of 13 have us going to the playoffs.

But I must say, I don't get the Indians love. Every indication, to me, says they will likely be worse this year instead of better. Their offseason was not good. And I am very surprised that only Rogers has the Sox even making the WS, even though it seems in nearly every way, the Sox are a better team this year than last year.

i remember in 03 i saw like 8 journalists picked the sox to go to the playoffs and i was like man, these guys get it...

this s*** it is so meaningless. I mean if thome gets injured, jenks sucks, and a few other injuries. We are f***ed guys. We would be proper f***ed. No biggie...just need some good luck again. And positive club houses seem to get good luck. So rock on yo

QUOTE(Winning Ugly @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)

Phil's apparently showing his Chi-town homerism. A Sox championship, Paulie MVP, and Buehrle Cy Young sounds more like wishful thinking than a thoughtful, objective analysis.

While there are plenty of reasons to argue that the Sox could win another WS, there's no reason to believe that they absolutely should be the favorites, especially with the way that our bullpen looks right now. A lot needs to go right for a team to win a WS. While the Sox certainly earned their title last year, they had more than their share of good fortune along the way: Garland, Cotts, Politte, and Hermanson had career years. Contreras and Crede played exceptionally well down the stretch. They're going to need a lot of those players to step and and do it again.

Agreed that predicting the Sox to completely miss the playoffs is a bit of a stretch, but automatically penciling them in for a WS title isn't very realistic either.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
:huh:

Only one person, Neyer, picked the Twins to win the Central.

Last year, only one person, Neyer, picked the White Sox to win the central.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=05expertpicks

Rogers also pegged Thome to be NL MVP and Zach Grienke to be AL CY Young last year. That was right on.

they're probably think " hey the whitesox we predicted to finish third or fourth last year...and the won the World Series. So if i chose the Indians or Twins from the Central....that's like choosing the Sox of last year right?"

something like that.....they're probably think if the Sox can do it why not the Twins or Indians??

Well, it's at least nice to see a ton of teams picking us in the Central. Nice to know that Rob Neyer isn't making his mistake of being the only 1 to pick us (correctly) to win the AL Central last year. And he's picking the Dodgers? H.Christ man.

I understand how people think the Twins and Indians could make a run in the Central, the one I just can't see this year though is the Angels.

Damn, they like the AL West this year. I don't know if they Angels or A's have enough punch in their offense to win the whole thing. Their pitching will have to carry their respective teams, so we'll see how that works out.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
Damn, they like the AL West this year. I don't know if they Angels or A's have enough punch in their offense to win the whole thing. Their pitching will have to carry their respective teams, so we'll see how that works out.

The A's I can agree with them on...if people stay healthy, that team is damn loaded. But they are counting on a lot of guys who hit the DL last year...Crosby, Harden, Bradley, Thomas, etc.

The Angels...the only way I see them really making a run is if their young guys are immediate studs (Kotchman, Mathis) and Garret Anderson is healtheir than he has seemed thus far.